Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The thing I thought I’d like the most about my Model 3 is the thing I like the least

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know I’m going to catch some flak for this thread whatever I do, so I will try to head off at least some of it by saying up front that I still love my Model 3 overall, think it’s better than other EVs available at the same price point for a variety of reasons, and I have no intention of swapping it for something else. I’m sure I’ll get a flood of “well if you hate it so much why don’t you sell it!!” replies despite having said this 😆

But today I was ‘hypermiling’ down the motorway, sat behind a lorry that was doing a steady 56mph. I don’t normally try to squeeze out every last drop of efficiency like that, but my home charger is broken at the moment and rapid charging costs are ruinous, so needs must! As I did this, I became more and more annoyed that the car would frequently back off a few mph, let some distance build up to the lorry, then surge back up to my set speed (60mph), close right up to the lorry, then back off again, over and over. I find the adaptive cruise control in the Model 3 frequently does this. It doesn’t match the speed of the vehicle in front, it sort of matches the speed of the vehicle in front within a 5mph or so range, backing off and closing up again frequently. It is annoying.

I then thought back to my previous two cars that had adaptive cruise control, which were both VWs. In those cars, the speed always matched exactly to the vehicle in front. No backing off and surging forward, it was extremely precise. Why is the VW system so much better? Presumably because it uses a radar to detect the distance rather than relying on cameras.

It then occurred to me that when I bought the Tesla, I’d believed the hype about its ‘self-driving’ aids, believed it was the leader in this technology, and it was the thing I was most interested in trying out. However, I now think that in the real world, Tesla’s implementation of this is much worse than VW’s, and presumably other traditional manufacturers too. I tried the Enhanced Autopilot as well, but got my money back as, Autopark aside, it was hopeless. The thing I thought I would like most about the Model 3 is the thing I like the least.

Now, that’s ok overall. I’ve discovered over my time owning the car that there are many many things I love about this car, and overall those things make up for the crappy driver aid implementation. But I thought it worth posting my opinion in case belief that Tesla’s driver aids are more advanced than others is a reason anyone here is considering buying a Model 3. If you think that’s the car’s USP, and it is really important to you, then you will be disappointed. You’ll find loads of other amazing things about the car that you love, but you will be disappointed in the self-driving tech on UK roads in 2022.

I also know that data scientists are going to set me on fire for this thread, because I don’t understand the awesome potential of vision based systems, and that the AI models will learn and improve over time. That’s fine, but I bought a car in 2022 to work as a car in 2022. I didn’t buy the car for the joy of being part of a research project, or in the hope that in 5-10 years time it will surpass the abilities of cars that rely on radar. If you’re happy to accept lousy driver aid performance to be at the vanguard of a machine learning revolution then fine, but I just want features on my car to work now, like they did on my VWs.

But again, to repeat one last time - I prefer my Model 3 to my previous cars overall, and have no desire to get rid of it.

0x0-Model3_20.jpg

(Featured Image Courtesy of Tesla, Inc)

Last edited by a moderator:
But they are not all the same ...

You seem to hate the car, don't know why you bought it / hang on to it.
No, I think it’s fine, as I’ve written in many places here, even further up this thread I mentioned a positive surprise about the car. I’m just not dewy eyed over it so where it has weak points I will call them out.

I’m hardly going to praise autopilot when it’s worse than the same functions in my old car that’s a reasonably old design.

The funny thing is on Tesla forums, if you write something positive it’s largely forgotten instantly. If you write something negative then it attracts a lot of attention and defensiveness.
It usually becomes about playing the man rather than the ball too.

Reactions: CWT3LR
Ah but they don't have the Tesla stuff ... that's why the Teslas go further per kWh than most other brands...
Agreed, I’ve posted on many threads about the EV drivetrain being a very strong point.

But we are talking about ‘paying for the tech’ and I’d warrant that the drivetrain tech is a similar cost in a Tesla or it’s competitors- with Tesla having a volume and integration advantage possibly meaning the drivetrain is actually cheaper for Tesla to produce than the competitors.

Just because it’s better doesn’t mean it cost more. Even with ICE a better 2.0 engine doesn’t necessarily cost more than a worse one in a different brand.

Reactions: CWT3LR
Agreed, I’ve posted on many threads about the EV drivetrain being a very strong point.

But we are talking about ‘paying for the tech’ and I’d warrant that the drivetrain tech is a similar cost in a Tesla or it’s competitors- with Tesla having a volume and integration advantage possibly meaning the drivetrain is actually cheaper for Tesla to produce than the competitors.

Just because it’s better doesn’t mean it cost more. Even with ICE a better 2.0 engine doesn’t necessarily cost more than a worse one in a different brand.
The tech (as in, driver assistance, parking, infotainment etc) is subjectively better in a number of other brands. Admittedly, with transparent pricing, so if you choose not to purchase, it is just that - a choice. The problem with Tesla marketing is that it is Elon Musk saying stuff that we now know is complete guff, amplified a thousand fold by fans of him, the company or the car.

The fact that Tesla tech is worse than comparably priced cars only comes to light in the weeks or months after taking delivery. However, the drivetrain, battery, smooth and effortless operation is immediately apparent on a test drive. And this is what causes buyers remorse - the sales pitch that the car is the cutting edge at the tech end not the noisy end, when the reverse is actually true.

It looks to there are a few posters who have come with an agenda.

Infotainment? really? Last time I tried to watch Netflix on the 3 inch video of my Mercedes I had some difficulty.
The infotainment encompasses many things. Netflix is good, if you need it. The mapping options are limited. The sound system is pretty average. The UI is objectively poor. The HUD doesn’t exist. The drivers display doesn’t exist. Other brands do this stuff better.

3 inch screen? Now if I thought you had an agenda I’d think you were cunningly not comparing like with like. My 2009 BMW had an 8.8 inch screen. How old was your Merc? I think Merc’s screen estate is measured in multiples of dozens of inches these days.

The infotainment encompasses many things. Netflix is good, if you need it. The mapping options are limited. The sound system is pretty average. The UI is objectively poor. The HUD doesn’t exist. The drivers display doesn’t exist. Other brands do this stuff better.

3 inch screen? Now if I thought you had an agenda I’d think you were cunningly not comparing like with like. My 2009 BMW had an 8.8 inch screen. How old was your Merc? I think Merc’s screen estate is measured in multiples of dozens of inches these days.
Anyone who thinks Mercedes tech is not better then Tesla has obviously not sat in a recent Mercedes model, and clearly has an agenda.

Just got to try using the "voice recognition" in any Tesla to know how woefully lacking the tech is. Speaking of 3 inch screens, a ten year old no-name Chinese Android phone does it better.

Reactions: MashinBenzin
Interesting regarding the infotainment (and I'm no means a fanboi) I quite like the tesla setup for that, the sound system is quite good but then I'm no audiophile. Navigating the UI is easier in the ioniq 5 but things in that are just as hard to find as in the MY. I like the navigation in the MY but then on the other side I do like the Android Auto option with the i5. I'd say the tesla is quite good when charging as you've got a decent sized screen to watch Netflix. Don't have that option on the i5 annoyingly have to use my phone 😂 first world problems 😂

Interesting regarding the infotainment (and I'm no means a fanboi) I quite like the tesla setup for that, the sound system is quite good but then I'm no audiophile. Navigating the UI is easier in the ioniq 5 but things in that are just as hard to find as in the MY. I like the navigation in the MY but then on the other side I do like the Android Auto option with the i5. I'd say the tesla is quite good when charging as you've got a decent sized screen to watch Netflix. Don't have that option on the i5 annoyingly have to use my phone 😂 first world problems 😂
I think that is a good illustration of the differences between US roads and UK roads. Rarely do most people in the UK undertake trips that would necessitate a long stop at a recharging site, so many of the "toys" that Telsa bundle are pretty low value. I have used a supercharger three times since March, with over 11,000 miles of motoring done using home charging only.