TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

The Third Pedal

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by RIPPERTON, Jan 1, 2017.

1. RIPPERTON

RIPPERTON Member

How would you Tesla drivers like to have total dedicated control over your regen braking.
    ie a third pedal next to the brake pedal in the same place a clutch pedal would be.
    As impossible as this would be to actually install in a Model S we are only hypothesising about having the ability to control regen on command from zero to about 150kW. So the existing regen up to 50kW when the throttle is released is decommissioned and the car basically coasts or angel gears when the throttle is released.
    Then when the third or regen pedal is pushed, you can modulate it up to max as far as the traction control will allow.
    The regen pedal will feel exactly like a brake pedal with a short firm stroke. The dedicated regen system could also be built into the existing brake system leaving still only 2 pedals.
    Below is a shot of a dedicated regen pedal I built for my Barina conversion, was actually a 4th pedal as It had a 5 speed manual transmission with the clutch still in use. Its a motorcycle front brake lever with a pressure transducer screwed into it. The transducer converts hydraulic pressure (0-200psi) into an electrical signal (0-5v).
    My previous EV conversion, a Daihatsu Mira also had this system and it was used all the time and accounted for 27% of the cars range making it the worlds most efficient passenger electric vehicle conversion regularly clocking consumtion figures as low as 80Wh/km. A Mitsubishi I-Miev can do 116Wh/km and the SunSwift carbon fibre Solar racer could do 35Wh/km. So let us know what you think not that its going to change anything.

[​IMG]

2. RichardMcN

RichardMcN Member

That would be great, or even a control that suppresses regen.

When you are going all out for range, you will want to suppress regen (1) when stopping, and let the car coast to a stop, and (2) in hilly country to let the car pick up speed for the next hill. Kinetic energy, if used quickly is much more efficient storage than regen/battery/motor.

The 2 current ways of doing this, neutral and controlling to 0kW are both tricky and annoying !

3. eclectricdave

eclectricdave Member

No one will risk their warranty by mods. In any case you can control regen by backing off go pedal to suit.

4. joninmelbourne

joninmelbourne Solid Black S60 new face

The Outlander plug in hybrid has paddles under steering wheel to control regen. But most people just want to drive as normally as possible.

5. woof

woof Model X 75D Blue, 6 seats

I've wanted this from day one with the first EV I ever drove, through today with the X. I'd accept a simple paddle "on/off" switch for regen so I can hold it "off" while canceling cruise control, or for coasting on the highway down hills. But a "clutch" for regen strength would be awesome. I made a thread about that somewhere...EV's need a "Trim Tab"

6. Murbs

Murbs Member

A simpler system would be one that feels like an automatic ice car.
    Ideally the car would coast on no throttle and then apply up to 50kW of regen braking when the brake pedal is applied relatively lightly. When the brake is applied harder, the 50kW of regen would then be augmented with the car's brake pads.
    In most cases the majority of braking would be regen with the brake pads only used for hard braking.

7. Mark E

Mark E Member

That would be horrible. I really don't like driving automatics and the Tesla feels much more like driving a manual that has infinite torque and revs. The only thing I'd like is an option to set the regen to be stronger.

8. BenT

BenT Member

I love the regen. I can drive down those hills without having my foot on the brake the whole time wearing my pads. You can limit the regen by feathering the accelerator pedal.