Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor The Tire Rack is proud to be a part of teslamotorsclub.com !

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Doc, any thoughts on my post earlier?

Welcome, doc!

I've been eyeing the 19" gunmetal Rial Luganos for my Model S and have been following the experiences of the pioneers here.

The part that's holding me back is the center caps; folks have found creative solutions to cover up the Rial logo with Tesla logo stickers and such but, is this something that TireRack might consider tackling straight out the gate? Not sure if you can legally work with Tesla's logo directly but, for the titanium gunmetals, a matching black center cap with no logo would be great!

Second the suggestion up-thread by neroden to consider coming up with Aero wheels for the Model S!

Thank you for joining. We use Tire Rack for race tires on our Porsche too. You do a great job of getting tires here in time for race weekends. Our tire habit isn't monthly right now, but once the race car finishes getting re-built we'll be ramping up our schedule. Thanks for the great service.

- - - Updated - - -

@Doc
Expected tread life.
Warrantied tread life.
Rolling resistance.
Environmental temperature ranges.

All of these things I want to filter on when looking for tires (think Amazon query) but they aren't easy to do with Tirerack.com (or I just haven't found the UI for it). The closest I've come is to narrow down by other criteria and then use additional, separate research to filter from there.

Please consider these for future improvements to the web site.

If the manufacturer offers one, we list a tire's mileage warranty with that model's individual writeup. Bear in mind that any tire with a "summer" compound will not carry a mileage warranty (Michelin just started adding a modest 20K warranty for a few models), and that any mileage warranty will require proof of regular rotation, even wear across all four tires etc. in order to be redeemed.

Actual rolling resistance numbers are still considered "proprietary" by many tire manufacturers, so I don't think we will able to post any reliable numbers there.

- - - Updated - - -

Doc, any thoughts on my post earlier?

I'd bet that Tesla would want a little "tribute" money if we sold / gave away something with their Trademark on it....... Best I can do is make the suggestion and let you know !

Hi doc. I have been considering those gorgeous gunmetal Rials for winter tires over the last few weeks, but can't figure out whether I even need winter tires or not. Do you have some advice there? I'm in the Philadelphia suburbs, not a particularly harsh winter and the roads are always well plowed… How do I know whether my all seasons are good enough or whether I should really go with winter tires? And if I do go with them, what characteristics do I want to look out for when comparing which winter tires would be best for these non-severe conditions?

Actual rolling resistance numbers are still considered "proprietary" by many tire manufacturers, so I don't think we will able to post any reliable numbers there.
Marketing numbers, perhaps. But doesn't Tirerack have a rolling resistance methodology to produce their own "real world approximation" numbers?

- - - Updated - - -

If the manufacturer offers one, we list a tire's mileage warranty with that model's individual writeup.
Right, but that's 2-3 clicks (and some manually scanning) for something that seems reasonable to want to filter on at the top level "thinning the candidates" stage. No?

Hi doc. I have been considering those gorgeous gunmetal Rials for winter tires over the last few weeks, but can't figure out whether I even need winter tires or not. Do you have some advice there? I'm in the Philadelphia suburbs, not a particularly harsh winter and the roads are always well plowed… How do I know whether my all seasons are good enough or whether I should really go with winter tires? And if I do go with them, what characteristics do I want to look out for when comparing which winter tires would be best for these non-severe conditions?

Guess not?

Guess not?

I'm not from Tire Rack, but I'm in Canada, so obviously an expert on this topic. ;-)

The best analogy I've heard is to footwear: Yes, you can wear running shoes in light snow, but proper boots are much better.

If you can afford an extra set of wheels and rubber, have somewhere to store either set during their respective off-season, and don't mind the hassle of changing wheels twice a year, go for it. You'll be safer for it.

Another advantage is that you'll effectively get twice the longevity out of both sets of wheels (over time) since you'll only be using either set for 1/2 the year (roughly).

Also, it's nice to put on a different pair of shoes every now and then. Same goes for wheels.

In your climate, I would be sure to pick a performance winter tire. You don't need a pure winter tire. Go for something with better cold/dry (eg. no snow) handling characteristics. They will be quieter and handle much better. Don't go for a pure snow tire. It will be mushy and noisy (by comparison).

Ambient temperature matters also. All season rubber compounds have to cover a wide range of hot and cold, thus, they aren't great at the extremes.

Hope that helps.

Hey Doc,

I noticed the Enkei Raijin's in 19" are no longer on your website when I search using Model S. Are they no longer approved, or are you no longer stocking them? (or is it some kind of error in the database?) They were there back in January this year when I bought a set FWIW.

Another advantage is that you'll effectively get twice the longevity out of both sets of wheels (over time) since you'll only be using either set for 1/2 the year (roughly).
I agree with your statement. Must remember to store tires in a cool, dry and dark place when not in use. In other words, do not store winter tires in your garage when not in use if your garage gets hot in the summer.

This forum got me interested in snow tires and Tire Rack. I am NOT a car guy. Went to the TR web site. Click,click click. Michelin ice max with turbine rims. Right car, right tires, local installer, no hassle. That's a great customer experience. Thanks!

Doc, I love tire reviews so although I only have 7K+ miles on my Model S, I've already looking for the next set of tires (definitely not the Good Year RS-A2 that comes with the car). I read a lot of good reviews about Michelin Pilot Sport AS-3 from both Tire Rack testers along with other experts until my friend bought a set of Hankook Tires and love them. I started following the Tire Rack testing and customers reviews on the Hankook Ventus S1 Noble2 with customers giving high marks. I always had Good Year, many Michelins on my cars/SUV and never own or heard of Hankook. The prices between these 2 tire is substantial, so what's your opinion on these two tires?