Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Toronto Star outdoes the itself in the stupid department...AGAIN

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think most of us have already clued into the fact that the Toronto Star's auto writers/editors hate or aren't interested in EVs, but this one really took the cake. Apparently my Tesla 3 has no brake pedal!?!! Who knew?

Attached screen shot to memorialize the stupidity, in case my "fix your article (you idiots)" email ever has an effect...🙄

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-07-04 at 1.43.30 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-07-04 at 1.43.30 PM.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 92
Oh yeah, very positive, he kept his Toyota because the 507km range doesn't get him to the cottage. Its a terribly written article, the 'front hood'!. Measuring the strength in elephants but they failed to capture the speed in cheetahs. Who uses the elephant measuring system anymore!

Reactions: ecarfan and mrElbe
I’ve read much more inaccurate and severely biased Tesla reviews. This one was overall very positive. But I agree this statement is very poorly written:

Quote: “Driving the one-pedal vehicle around downtown Toronto, Carr would feel his foot instinctively going for the non-existent brake several times before the vehicle would slow to a smooth and steady halt as he unpressed the accelerator”

It’s hard to understand how someone could come up with that description of regenerative braking. I assume the author never drove the car or likely has never even sat in a Tesla.

I suggest that all of us email The Star and point out that all cars have a brake pedal and Teslas are no exception.

Use the “Report an Error” link at the bottom of the article page. I sent The Star this message:

In your article at Getting used to single-pedal driving the author wrote, quote: “Driving the one-pedal vehicle around downtown Toronto, Carr would feel his foot instinctively going for the non-existent brake several times before the vehicle would slow to a smooth and steady halt as he unpressed the accelerator”. All cars have brake pedals, and Teslas are no exception. Of course they have brakes that are controlled by a brake pedal in the usual location. The point is that EVs with regenerative braking slow down significantly when the driver reduces pressure on the accelerator, making for smoother simpler driving and dramatically lower brake wear; Tesla owners report that their brake pads have lasted for well over 150,000km.

I received this email response from The Star:

From: Public Editor, The Toronto Star <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, Jul 9, 2021 at 8:59 AM
Subject: RE: Report an Error: Getting used to single-pedal driving
To: [email protected] <[email protected]>

Good morning Barry . . . thank you for the note. Yes, an error was made in stating that there was no brake pedal. That has been corrected in the on-line article.
Bruce

Bruce Campion-Smith
Public Editor

Despite the addition of this at the bottom of the page: “addendum: Correction — July 5, 2021: This article was edited to clarify that the Tesla 3 does have a brake pedal” the article text still states the car has a “non-existent brake” and I see no changes in that paragraph, as @ccudmore has noted. I flushed my browser cache and also tried a different browser to ensure I was seeing the current version of the page.

I sent the editor another email. He responded and apologized saying he thought the change was implemented, than I heard from his assistant who says it must be a back-end issue and he will get it fixed.

Last edited: