Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The total Tesla M3 experience. Happy or disappointed?

What is your take on the total Tesla M3 experience?

• Totally happy, call me a fan

Votes: 188 81.0%
  • Fine car, I would probably buy one again

Votes: 29 12.5%
  • Disappointed, I was expecting so much more

Votes: 12 5.2%
  • Stop nagging me

Votes: 3 1.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The service experience needs help. A lot of help. The product itself is awesome.

I think a lot of peoples opinions are going to swing on whether they've had to deal with Tesla service or not. If you haven't it's the greatest car company in the world. If you have, well...

Reactions: MaSansky
But then of course if you dealt with Tesla Service it's because something was wrong. It seems most people haven't had to. A team delivered the car to my house the day after I ordered it in December. I was impressed. The car was AOK. I later noticed it had a 1" scratch on the glass near the trunk, I don't care. My one service encounter was fine. They needlessly replaced the steering wheel assembly to correct a wand problem that turned out to be software, but they couldn't be sure, so they did it it in a couple of hours, gave me Lyft credit, I went for a walk instead, and it was all good.

Things like the ridiculous need to deal with the screen to try to place calls, to disambiguate navigation targets (of late), and now to find and play music, are dumb details that I can logically expect to be corrected. I've delivered software under time constraints with issues too, I know how it goes. If I didn't like some rattles or what not, I'd fix 'em.

I do disagree with any alert display that's not big and legible, why not zoom? and I vigorously object to anything that requires touch screen interaction while driving. Having to touch a tiny window closure "x" in a corner while my hand is bouncing around, that's insane. Here I can only hope the team gives more attention to such "ergonomics", but for now I can either put up with it, or get all bent about it. It's not the end of the world.

The hardware is better than fine. The automation keeps getting better. That's difficult programming, and it's what matters most to me. So why wouldn't I be a happy camper?

Tesla put more time and effort into building and expanding their charging network than on their service centers and car delivery experience it seems, and I think that they have the right priorities. Of course, ideally they could have scaled everything and make them great at the same time, but I'm glad that today we're hearing about complaints on the things that can be resolved over time.

Purchasing experience, added with experience at their service centers, only account for 1% of my time spent with the M3. The other 99% of the time I'm behind the wheel with a grin on my face.

Reactions: pipestem
The product itself is extremely impressive. Tesla’s communications, delivery processes and service are the worst I’ve ever encountered with any company. Cars delivered with a tonne of transport damage on them along with a whole bunch of manufacturing faults as they were being rushed.

ZERO communication with Tesla possible. No calls or emails ever answered. Even their voicemail says “mailbox full” here in Australia every time you call. They are literally a Ghost car company. You buy their expensive car and then you realise the rest of the company is a ghost ship.

Reactions: GOOCHY and MaSansky
The product itself is extremely impressive. Tesla’s communications, delivery processes and service are the worst I’ve ever encountered with any company. Cars delivered with a tonne of transport damage on them along with a whole bunch of manufacturing faults as they were being rushed.

ZERO communication with Tesla possible. No calls or emails ever answered. Even their voicemail says “mailbox full” here in Australia every time you call. They are literally a Ghost car company. You buy their expensive car and then you realise the rest of the company is a ghost ship.

This sounds way more slovenly than anything I've seen. They need to hire Crocodile Dundee. Or something. I'd start making some real noise at Tesla in Melbourne. Go stand out front with a sign until they do said "something".

This sounds way more slovenly than anything I've seen. They need to hire Crocodile Dundee. Or something. I'd start making some real noise at Tesla in Melbourne. Go stand out front with a sign until they do said "something".

There is a very active Australian Facebook Model 3 group with over 1400 members. Tesla’s consistency in never answering emails and calls is legendary here. People were literally writing emails begging for their invoices up to 2-3 days before scheduled delivery so they could pay as they still had not received anything.

They literally have a tiny handful of staff trying to deliver nearly 1700 cars in one month. The logistics were stupid to begin with. Add the end of the quarter rush, staff new to the job only and the managing director of Tesla Australia quitting only about a month before Model 3 was released here last month and you have a recipe for complete and utter chaos.

Even a prominent car journalist who ordered a performance model 3 and still doesn’t have the car and all his calls emails have gone unanswered finds their service abysmal. They are killing the brand’s image.

• Informative
Reactions: SO16 and MaSansky
I find ingress/egress fantastic - especially compared to my Porsche or other ICE cars I've owned. My physically-challenged mother has a hard time getting in almost ever vehicle she has no issue in/out of the 3.
Are your passengers complaining about phantom braking with TACC? I'm rarely getting phantom braking with TACC.
I find your comments very hard to believe in the context of my experience. Yes, compared to some sports cars and most exotics, the 3 is easier to get into/out of but that’s an unusual comparison for me. My Nissan LEAF, and with the exception of 3 Corvettes dozens of ICE vehicles I’ve owned have all been much, much easier to enter/exit. I have several friends with physical challenges and not one of them finds my 3 easy to access almost without regard to their size. Even my petite wife says it is the hardest vehicle we’ve had for her to enter/exit. Further, most of my peers are of a chronologically advanced age and again all are surprised by the difficulty to get in/out. I suggest you are possibly in the minority on this issue, but if getting into/out of the 3 is easy for you and yours, that’s to your advantage.

And yes, passengers are of course complaining about phantom braking...and so do I as the driver. When it happens it is a complete surprise, intense, and for no known reason that might have made them expect it. As a courtesy, I forego using TACC with passengers for that reason. I’m happy for you that you don’t have the experience much; unfortunately I do, or at least did. I have to say that since updating to v32.11.1 earlier in the week I have not had a phantom braking event in the 150 miles since update so that’s a very good thing and I hope that good fortune continues.

The poll needs a fifth choice that falls between Totally Happy, and Fine Car.

I'd say Excellent Car with Room to Improve.

If Tesla would make the Model 3 seats with more length for thigh support, it would make me very happy. For examples that have seats like this see Porsche (any mode) and VW Golf.

I don't know what else applies in Netherlands. In my country we get slapped another tax during purchase of 15% on CO2 of that motor, and then a perpetual monthly tax of about 200 USD based on its horsepower rating. good times
we don't pay tax for register a EV car, we also don't pay road taxes in you have a EV. Before we eve din't pay to park in the street, specially Amsterdam inf you were charging your car. Park in Amsterdam is not free, was always a pay parking, and nowadays in the center is about 7.5e/hour, but that benefit has finished last 1 January. Road taxes for a normal gasoline car will be around 600-700 euros a year and a diesel about 1400-1500 euros a month, for a 100% EV is 0euros (i hope it won't change). You get a parking permit from the goverment in Amsterda directl if you have a EV, when other cars have to do the waiting list, Amsterdam center has a waiting list of about 3-5 years!. Kw is about 0.19c if you charge at home. We have some benefits in Netherlands for EV, but before was even more

we don't pay tax for register a EV car, we also don't pay road taxes in you have a EV. Before we eve din't pay to park in the street, specially Amsterdam inf you were charging your car. Park in Amsterdam is not free, was always a pay parking, and nowadays in the center is about 7.5e/hour, but that benefit has finished last 1 January. Road taxes for a normal gasoline car will be around 600-700 euros a year and a diesel about 1400-1500 euros a month, for a 100% EV is 0euros (i hope it won't change). You get a parking permit from the goverment in Amsterda directl if you have a EV, when other cars have to do the waiting list, Amsterdam center has a waiting list of about 3-5 years!. Kw is about 0.19c if you charge at home. We have some benefits in Netherlands for EV, but before was even more

I am surprised road taxes for diesel runs almost $20K per year. At that rate many people here cannot afford the diesel jettas and Mercedes.

As adoption of EV's increase the benefits will go away as the government has to find a source to replace the the lost income. First to go will be parking since all you need to do is to end that free gift on a certain date. Next will come a slow introduction of road tax and finally the registration fees.

Here the road maintenance comes from collection of state and federal gasoline taxes. As EV's increased, the loss of those gasoline taxes became apparent and the state could not raise the gasoline taxes further since the ICE owners are in the majority. So they have introduced a $130 per year flat fee road tax, which I am sure will continue to increase.

As more and more cars have amount and time of use being recorded and even transmitted the day will come when you are charged for the total miles used, the time of use and even the type of roads used. Just like electricity metering.

The service experience needs help. A lot of help. The product itself is awesome.

I think a lot of peoples opinions are going to swing on whether they've had to deal with Tesla service or not. If you haven't it's the greatest car company in the world. If you have, well...

I think it depends more on a location or specific experience. I have dealt with service and so far so good!