Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The two-Tesla charging cable conundrum

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m installing two HPWCs on one 50 amp circuit later this week in my small 1920s 'two-car' garage — one on the left wall toward the garage door and one on the right wall also toward the garage door. The cable will have to go behind the right hand side car, but that has never presented a problem as you cannot move the car if the charging cable is plugged in.

I’m using the 25’ cable versions to have the option to charge cars that are parked in the driveway. (Aren't some of your friends and family that switched to Tesla going to want to charge their car while visiting?)

Note that you can often find new in-the-box second-generation HPWCs on eBay for a substantial discount and no tax. I paid $340 each. Given we are paying well over $100,000 to own two Teslas, the cost, convenience and charging speed of installing two HPWCs seems totally sensible.

As my garage circuit breaker is 100 amp, that right there precludes any 100 amp charger. I have two cars. I have an outlet with a 50 amp breaker and one with a 30 amp breaker. My S won't charge at 40 amps, so I charge at 32 and the 3 gets 24, and both cars are always full every morning, 250 miles. Guess I don't need a hundred amp charger. When company comes, they can pick up 20+ miles in an hour. In an hour and a half, they can make it to the supercharger 30 miles away. Not many people decide they need to charge while visiting. ;)

• Love
Reactions: Big Earl and bonnie
I’ve been thinking about this a lot too with our 3 imminent (replacing our Leaf).

I’ve been using a 40A Juicebox for the X, and just simple 120V for the Leaf.

But, with the charge port location of the 3 in relation to the 120V outlet, this is going to be a pain.

So, i’ve decided to jump in an go with dual HPWCs sharing our 50A breaker into the garage. 40A shared between the 2 Teslas will be plenty in 99.8% of our situations. And we do have new Superchargers a 10 min drive away for those other 0.2% of the situations, especially with the juicy 315+ mi range of the 3.

The cable will still need to run behind the 3 when it’s charging, but I won’t ever need to violate the “never run cable behind the non-charging car” rule.

I’ve been thinking about this a lot too with our 3 imminent (replacing our Leaf).

I’ve been using a 40A Juicebox for the X, and just simple 120V for the Leaf.

But, with the charge port location of the 3 in relation to the 120V outlet, this is going to be a pain.

So, i’ve decided to jump in an go with dual HPWCs sharing our 50A breaker into the garage. 40A shared between the 2 Teslas will be plenty in 99.8% of our situations. And we do have new Superchargers a 10 min drive away for those other 0.2% of the situations, especially with the juicy 315+ mi range of the 3.

The cable will still need to run behind the 3 when it’s charging, but I won’t ever need to violate the “never run cable behind the non-charging car” rule.
Can you run a surface mount conduit to the other side of the garage?

Can you run a surface mount conduit to the other side of the garage?
That is my plan. I considered hanging from ceiling but will be troublesome with the garage door. More trouble than worth. So will just have one each on the left and right wall of the garage. X on left (more space). 3 on right. So the 3 cable will run behind the 3 when charging it.

Will probably take me a week or 2 to get it done. And I haven’t gotten my 3 yet. Hopefully by then. And will post pics.

My wife is about to get her model 3, then we will have two Teslas. I've got a single HPWC on the right side of the garage near the door. It has the long cable so it could reach a car on the other side. I think it will be rare to need to charge both cars on any given night. So my plan is to do charge as-needed. I don't really want to have the cord go behind one car to the other so it would mean alternating parking spaces.
Here is my solution for now. It looks ugly but it works OK. The charge cable is suspended from the garage-door rails with a bit of rope.
charge cable.jpg

We just hooked up a third EVSE in our carport to charge our new-to-us 2014 Cadillac ELR. We're running it off of a Dryer Buddy, which gets the job done. The other two EVSEs are wired into our panel.

1 JuiceBox Pro 40 supplying a maximum of 40 amps
1 JuiceBox 40 supplying a maximum of 24 amps
1 Clipper Creek LCS-20 supplying a maximum of 16 amps

This will provide a total of nearly 20 kW of car charging, which is about the limit of what we can do before we start getting unacceptable voltage drop (230 volts, down from 244 with nothing running).

Anything to be wary of? Like different models per country.

Anyone have any answers on these cheaper eBay ones? I've seen some references that they're pre-wired with a 14-50 plug and thus limited to 40 amps. That limitation would be fine with me, but it sounds like they also might be non-communicating, which would be an issue if I ever wanted to have two on a single circuit.