Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The UI for the Tesla app is inconsistent and confusing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Buttons on touch screens can be ambiguous (but they don't have to be). The label on the button can usually indicate the current state or it can indicate what will happen when the button is pushed (which is usually the opposite of the current state). IMHO letting the buttons be ambiguous is bad design but in the "Climate" screen of the Tesla app they took it to a new level. The button on the left for turning climate control on and off indicates the current state while the button on the right to open the windows for venting indicates the action (which is the opposite of the state).

By using 2 or 3 word labels instead of a single word, the ambiguity could be eliminated or greatly reduced. But for goodness sake, the choice of state versus action should be consistent across the entire UI and certainly for the only two labeled buttons on the same screen.

Currently my climate control is off and the windows are closed. The button on the left is labeled "Off" indicating the state. But the button on the right is labeled "Vent" which is the action not the state. The only two consistent interpretations are that the climate control is off and the windows are opened for venting or the windows are closed and the climate control is on.

This may seem like a minor thing but IMO it shows a lack of professionalism in UI design. It can also be problematic because there can be a significant lag between pressing a button and getting a response. Yes, users can figure it all out but they shouldn't have to. It should be clear and currently it's not.

Often right after I open the app up (on Android) the entire interface is very laggy. I will press the same button several times because I cannot distinguish between my missing the button (or the press being ignored) and a long lag.

Sometimes the app reports incorrect information. For example it will tell me the climate control is on when it's not. Some of the problems may be due to me running the app on 3 different devices. These imperfections are one of the reasons why I think making a consistent UI is important.

Soon after I got the car a lot of rain water got in it due to the inconsistency of the "Vent" and climate "Off" buttons. I could see the climate control was off when the climate buttons said "Off" due to the lack of animation so I assumed both buttons were showing me the state. It did not occur to me that the smart people at Tesla would make an interface that is so inconsistent.

Often right after I open the app up (on Android) the entire interface is very laggy. I will press the same button several times because I cannot distinguish between my missing the button (or the press being ignored) and a long lag.

Sometimes the app reports incorrect information. For example it will tell me the climate control is on when it's not. Some of the problems may be due to me running the app on 3 different devices. These imperfections are one of the reasons why I think making a consistent UI is important.

Soon after I got the car a lot of rain water got in it due to the inconsistency of the "Vent" and climate "Off" buttons. I could see the climate control was off when the climate buttons said "Off" due to the lack of animation so I assumed both buttons were showing me the state. It did not occur to me that the smart people at Tesla would make an interface that is so inconsistent.
I have a Samsung latest generation with latest Android software but didn't have this lag ok it make 3-4 sec before refresh info when it open for the first time of the day I wait for this and after I press the button I wanted and it's instant on my car if I have time I make a little video. But for that you need a good LTE/wifi connection if it's poor 2 bar for example command are not responding the same but it's not the problem of the app.

I have a Samsung latest generation with latest Android software but didn't have this lag ok it make 3-4 sec before refresh info when it open for the first time of the day
Yes. This is the lag I'm talking about. The app needs to wait for the car to wake up. IIRC, about 3 months ago they greatly improved how the app deals with this wake-up lag. They bring up the display before it's fully functional which is a fairly standard technique.

My point is that because of this 3-4 second lag, the app has a greater need to be consistent. It should also provide instant feedback about a button being pushed even though it might have to wait for the car to wake up before it can do what the button asks for. When the entire app waited for the car to wake up this wasn't an issue. Providing instant feedback can be slightly non-trivial because it requires an extra graphic/state to denote that the button has been pushed but the app is waiting for the car.

Reactions: Transformer
Buttons on touch screens can be ambiguous (but they don't have to be). The label on the button can usually indicate the current state or it can indicate what will happen when the button is pushed (which is usually the opposite of the current state). IMHO letting the buttons be ambiguous is bad design but in the "Climate" screen of the Tesla app they took it to a new level. The button on the left for turning climate control on and off indicates the current state while the button on the right to open the windows for venting indicates the action (which is the opposite of the state).

By using 2 or 3 word labels instead of a single word, the ambiguity could be eliminated or greatly reduced. But for goodness sake, the choice of state versus action should be consistent across the entire UI and certainly for the only two labeled buttons on the same screen.

Currently my climate control is off and the windows are closed. The button on the left is labeled "Off" indicating the state. But the button on the right is labeled "Vent" which is the action not the state. The only two consistent interpretations are that the climate control is off and the windows are opened for venting or the windows are closed and the climate control is on.

This may seem like a minor thing but IMO it shows a lack of professionalism in UI design. It can also be problematic because there can be a significant lag between pressing a button and getting a response. Yes, users can figure it all out but they shouldn't have to. It should be clear and currently it's not.
They seem to be very proud of it. Have you seen the Tesla LinkedIn video about V11?

Not a minor thing at all. This has been driving me crazy since I got it it’s so inconsistent and very unclear. It’s like it’s been programmed by Apple or something.

Reactions: BitJam