TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

The Ultimate EV Supercar

Discussion in 'Electric Vehicles' started by teddyg, Jan 4, 2013.

1. teddyg

teddyg Member

#1 teddyg, Jan 4, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2013
    Hi guys,
    Just watching another lame episode of TopGear...the show is so stupid now.. I don't think they even review cars anymore, they just perform rediculous stunts to keep the braindead public's attention span for more than 5 minutes. Clarkson is a total sellout and is smart enough to know that the show has become a total farce but he is happy to continue cashing his cheques clearly. He is so old and his teeth so freaking bad...I just wish he would move on and go do something else, but I guess this stupid show is all he has. His hate of electric cars is clear and I'll never forget the Roadster episode where they faked the Tesla running out of power.

Tonight they were testing some God-awful Mercedes supercar costing half a million pounds...I just wish Tesla or somebody would make an EV that just absolutely smoked ALL of these stupid gas guzzlers around their little TopGear test track.
    Their current #1 lap is the McLaren MP4-12C with a time of 1 min 16 secs for a price of $230,000 USD. I'm not including the Ariel Atom because it isn't a real production car with a roof on it.

So what do you guys think...could Tesla (or anyone) make an EV that beats this McLaren with a 0-60 time of 3.2 secs, 592 horsepower, and weight of 2950 lbs around the TopGear track?

I just feel like if an EV could do this it would settle the debate once and for all, so all those clown EV haters (like Clarkson) would have to pay hommage and accept the fact that the EV simply cannot be beaten in the performance market...once people see this at the high end they will demand it trickle down to the masses.

I would think with electric all wheel drive there should be some real benefits in terms of response time in traction control for an EV over a typical gas guzzler...the EV should be able to take power straight from the battery and put it into the wheels at the speed of electricity, sensing any wheel slip immediately and reacting so much faster than an ICE ever could...this might translate into better grip, less over/under steer, and into a faster track time if the power is there and the weight not too high.
    Doing all this for a price less than the McLaren's $230,000 USD might be a challenge though. As I think the car should still have at least a 300 mile range (during regular driving of course!)

An easier target might be the fastest production car in the world right now...the Bugatti Veyron at 0-60mph in 2.3 secs, but at a whopping price of $1.25 million! I bet Tesla could make a Bugatti beater in terms of 0-60mph (maybe even 0-100mph) for about a fifth of the price!

I think it would be some great marketing for Tesla if their next supercar/roadster can either take the TopGear title or beat the Veyron at a fraction of the price. Kids could then take down their McLaren posters and become bored (like I am now) with ALL gas powered cars, knowing that if it ain't electric it ain't gonna be the fastest so why do the ICE companies even bother.

I brought this up on the TeslaMotors forum before but people thought it wasn't important for Tesla to be a world beater in this way...however I think it would do a lot for Tesla's brand to be well known by all the petrol-heads as a clear #1...I mean look at all the car mags next time you pass the news stand...its almost always some exotic car (Lambo, Porsche, or Ferrari) on the cover...clearly ultra performance sells...if Tesla could beat all others, bar none, it would cement the fact that EV's are going to dominate from this point on and that the ICE is finally dead in terms of the performance automobile.

What do you guys think? Can it be done?

2. Johan

Johan Took a TSLA bear test. Came back negative.

It can be done. Just wait for the Rimac Concept_One

3. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

As a McLaren owner Elon knows fast and the next sports car he makes will smoke it. He already asked for the Model S to emulate it.
    That said, EVs perform quickly but are not ideal technology for top end speed or quick filling. I was told Elon does not care about top speed so certain track layouts may not favor a Tesla super EV. Tesla has not used the "racing on Sunday, sell on Monday" sales technique and as much as it is important for some car lovers, Tesla seems to do fine without it. I know that I have a hard time getting stock cars to drag race as it is. They all know the Roadster is quick.

4. lolachampcar

lolachampcar Active Member

Four motors, one per wheel and a lot of software would do the trick. Get one of the F1 four wheel steer guys to layout and test the code. :) You would not need anywhere near as much horsepower (think M5 v MS).

5. ipdamages

ipdamages Roadster Sports 835 & 972

I agree that the Concept One will be a good fit for the Top Gear track and will post a good time. It costs $1M, but it will fit the bill for this task. That said, after running a few laps at full tilt it will likely have temperature issues, like the Roadster.

The White Zombie and Rimac's BMW conversion are both 0-60 beasts, and the White Zombie can beat a Veyron. I also find it to be better looking.

World’s Quickest Electric Car Is a ’72 Datsun, Does 0-60 in 1.8 Seconds! : Discovery Channel
    http://www.topspeed.com/cars/bmw/1984-bmw-e-m3-by-rimac-ar136364.html

6. SoCalGuy

SoCalGuy Member

Think it would be cool if some EV enthusiast like these Zombie guys were to buy some of the body parts of the Sandy-fied Fiskers and change up in the innards with their custom drivetrain pack and get looks-worthy performance!

7. rolosrevenge

rolosrevenge Dr. EVS

That would be awesome, put some actual performance in a Fisker body and you might have a car that doesn't need to sit for over 300 days in "temporary" storage until it gets flooded out.

8. teddyg

teddyg Member

#8 teddyg, Jan 6, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2013

What is the HP of the White Zombie?...was talking to another guy on a different forum and he thinks Tesla could do a "SuperSport" version of the Model S putting two performance motors front and rear for a total of 832 HP using the new 4.0Ah Panasonic cells!
    Assuming they cut a bit of weight here and there, would that be able to take down the Veyron 0-60mph?

Also is there no way to cool the electric motor to prevent overheating? You would think someone would be working on this if we are ever to see an EV racing series, etc?

That is another thing I was thinking...could Tesla enter a car in a racing series like Nascar or F1? I know about FormulaE but I think it would be awesome to see electrics duke it out with the gas guzzlers!
    If they made the EV have an equal amount of HP as the gas guzzlers and the same number of pitstops (the Tesla would switch out batteries which would presumably take longer than a fill up - to cancel out the Tesla's advantage in acceleration)...I guess it would all be a bit complicated to keep the racing fairly even but it would be an awesome way for Tesla to expose its brand and if it could win a few races would really do a lot for EV performance awareness....still gotta figure out that motor cooling issue though.

9. VolkerP

VolkerP EU Model S P-37

EVs are not quite there for racing, i.e. sustained periods of high velocity, demanding high power output. The White Zombie can drive ~ one hour on streets with its pack, or draw 2000A for a sub 11s quarter time - but not both.

I don't know a good solution to cool the rotor of an electric motor. Tesla relies on thermal mass which is OK for acceleration runs but not for racing. I could imagine to boost the air cooling with a supply of liquid nitrogen that is used up within 30 minutes or so. One would have to protect against condensation of humidity from outside air, OTOH.

10. thelastdeadmouse

If you're willing to sacrifice range, I think this could be done with present day tech with a 150-200 mile range (not at race speeds). Think of the changes you could make to the Model S to do this. Make the body and chassis out of carbon fiber and strip out most of the interior (ala GT3 RS) to save weight. Adding an actual grill and radiator will hurt range by adding drag, but will greatly improve cooling. Adding a large rear spoiler and some aero tweaks on the front end to add down force, but again adding drag. The space between the rear wheels has two canisters of approximately equal size, one being the motor and the other the other drive train electronics. Give up trunk space and you could have two motors between the rear wheels by moving the two power electronics canisters back a bit. If the batteries would limit the power you could put down the double the inverter and motor on board, there's chemistries that have much higher power output but less capacity. Make the suspension race car stiff and call it a day.

With development cost of the chassis, you're probably well over $200,000 mark, but could certainly be below it on a per unit cost. Your end result is a car with 800 hp, 800 ftlb of torque, and a weight in the 3,500 - 4000 lbs mark. It would weight more the the McLaren, but would have significantly more power, better traction control, and the lowest center of gravity on the road.

11. lolachampcar

lolachampcar Active Member

I would think the dual drive for Model X wil be used for Model R with a much greater surge alocation to do exactly this.