Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Universal Mobile Connector is no longer standard equipment with new orders after 8 July 2022??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This will be me. I usually drive up to 100kms most days, and am planning to use the UMC. Luckily, it will be included with my car and I won't have to fork out an extra $550 for the privilege.

Yeah UMC is definately fine for many, but I still think your mad not to keep one in the car also. If you use it for your main charger, I think you would get sick of packing it up each time.

Yeah UMC is definately fine for many, but I still think your mad not to keep one in the car also. If you use it for your main charger, I think you would get sick of packing it up each time.

Thanks for your reply @Zoltrix77

You may be right - I haven't actually gotten my car yet, so haven't had to deal with the day-to-day practicalities of it all. What kind of set-up do you have for yours? Wallcharger at home and UMC in car?

You may be right - I haven't actually gotten my car yet, so haven't had to deal with the day-to-day practicalities of it all. What kind of set-up do you have for yours? Wallcharger at home and UMC in car?
For me, I have been using the UMC only. Though have added a 15A outlet, so 3.3kw vs the 10A 2.4kw. For the limited number of road trips, I simple unplug the UMC after the charge before the trip and stow it in the car. Given this is already a planned event, making sure the car is plugged in the night before the trip, it is only a small extra step to ensure it is stowed in the car after charge.

I am still tossing up installing a Zappi charger when we upgrade our solar or stick with the UMC with charge IQ or similar. We have another EV in the pipeline so the Zappi should be able to cover both. If we stick with the UMC/Charge IQ solution it only gives smart solar charging for the tesla.

100km in one day is unusual for us. Typical use per day is normally less than that. For that reason the Zappi or other fixed solution may be overkill. But to maximise our solar utilisation to limit our environmental impact may still mean we need a solid solar utilisation solution.

Reactions: *Sparkles*
Thanks, @RichardV! How much range can you usually add if your car is plugged into the 15A outlet overnight?

And out of curiosity, are you going with another Tesla, or something else?
Depending on what driving is done, as the efficiency varies, if I added 100km over a 7 hour period it would be 150km over the same 7 hour period. Which is about what was added the other night after a longer than usual trip. For city driving it is often more range over the same period, for both connections, but with wet weather driving it has been a little higher recently. We try to limit charging to off peak 11pm-6am which will invert to day time charging when the solar upgrade occurs. We don't get charged less for off peak but our local grid connection is a little limited so we try not to stress it in peak times.

For the second EV, if I said an electric MG you might not think twice. But this is a real MG, a 1969 MGB roadster. So a non typical second EV.

I didn’t mean that too literally, but without some means of charging a car at home it’s a very compromised vehicle for most people. It’s not as if it can just be plugged into a wall socket.

But there is the means - it’s just a separate purchase if you need one. When you click order you get the option to buy a HPWC and/or UMC.

Those that already have either from previous EV ownership don’t have to buy.

Pretty much all homes with a garage will eventually have a HPWC installed, so it’s inevitable that these will be optional purchases with the car.

For me, I have been using the UMC only. Though have added a 15A outlet, so 3.3kw vs the 10A 2.4kw. For the limited number of road trips, I simple unplug the UMC after the charge before the trip and stow it in the car. Given this is already a planned event, making sure the car is plugged in the night before the trip, it is only a small extra step to ensure it is stowed in the car after charge.

I am still tossing up installing a Zappi charger when we upgrade our solar or stick with the UMC with charge IQ or similar. We have another EV in the pipeline so the Zappi should be able to cover both. If we stick with the UMC/Charge IQ solution it only gives smart solar charging for the tesla.

100km in one day is unusual for us. Typical use per day is normally less than that. For that reason the Zappi or other fixed solution may be overkill. But to maximise our solar utilisation to limit our environmental impact may still mean we need a solid solar utilisation solution.
Just curious, why do you stow the UMC? I have a type 2 to type 2 for emergency charges but surely it would be rare to use the UMC on the road unless it was a road trip?

I have a UMC in the car and a wall charger, but wall chargers used to come free! I am an electrician so installation costs don't come into account. I am just a cautious person and don't like to be out without a UMC, never know what might happen. Same reason I have a first aid kit and a fire extinguisher in ever car I own/owned. Wall connector installation can be costly, many people would be fine with a UMC plugged into a 10A socket. However if you were to engage an electrician to install a 15A socket, you may as well get them to put in a 32A socket.

Just curious, why do you stow the UMC? I have a type 2 to type 2 for emergency charges but surely it would be rare to use the UMC on the road unless it was a road trip?
Yes. Only for road trips, so a few times a year or less. (Not that I have had it for a year, but based on typical past road trips). Only taken it away on two trips so far and only used it on one trip.

Reactions: Hazygrunt
I have a UMC in the car and a wall charger, but wall chargers used to come free! I am an electrician so installation costs don't come into account. I am just a cautious person and don't like to be out without a UMC, never know what might happen. Same reason I have a first aid kit and a fire extinguisher in ever car I own/owned. Wall connector installation can be costly, many people would be fine with a UMC plugged into a 10A socket. However if you were to engage an electrician to install a 15A socket, you may as well get them to put in a 32A socket.
Very handy being an electrician, as the information I've found seems to indicate the cost to buy & install wall charger runs close to 2k. I certainly won't be running out to install one anytime soon. Can't believe they used to come free!!!

I have the UMC because it's universal, and I can plug it in at an AirBnB or at the hotel car park. I've had a type 2 cable and only ever used it twice in 9000kms, and even on those occasions I didn't really need them.

But there is the means - it’s just a separate purchase if you need one. When you click order you get the option to buy a HPWC and/or UMC.

Those that already have either from previous EV ownership don’t have to buy.

Pretty much all homes with a garage will eventually have a HPWC installed, so it’s inevitable that these will be optional purchases with the car.

Yes, people who already have an EV don't need another UMC, though I would think the majority of Tesla's customers are first-time EV owners.

I think you're missing @Wol747's point. For people who don't already have an EV, why should they HAVE to pay more for a piece of equipment that is essential to the ongoing use of their EV? Why should they be out of pocket just because they want to charge their car at home? Especially when home-charging would also benefit other Tesla drivers, by reducing the demand at superchargers.

I wouldn't be impressed at having to fork out an extra $550 for what is an essential piece of equipment.

Don't you think it would have been better for Tesla to give purchasers an option to deselect the UMC (and save $$ in doing so), while continuing to include the UMC's for those who needed them?

Very handy being an electrician, as the information I've found seems to indicate the cost to buy & install wall charger runs close to 2k. I certainly won't be running out to install one anytime soon. Can't believe they used to come free!!!
The wall charger is only $750 and I got mine installed for only $300 the guy did a great job too. So more like 1k.
I actually had mine installed before my car arrived so have never taken the UMC out of the sub trunk. It’s reassuring to know it’s there though if ever I get stuck somewhere. Luckily our Y will have one as well to keep in the trunk for emergencies.

• Helpful
The wall charger is only $750 and I got mine installed for only $300 the guy did a great job too. So more like 1k.
I actually had mine installed before my car arrived so have never taken the UMC out of the sub trunk. It’s reassuring to know it’s there though if ever I get stuck somewhere. Luckily our Y will have one as well to keep in the trunk for emergencies.
Wow, that is super cheap @muddie, much better than what I have seen posted by others
You wouldn't happen to know anyone in Perth, would you?

I wouldn't be impressed at having to fork out an extra $550 for what is an essential piece of equipment.

Don't you think it would have been better for Tesla to give purchasers an option to deselect the UMC (and save $$ in doing so), while continuing to include the UMC's for those who needed them?
Mathematically there is no difference to having the charger included and being able to de-select it and save 550$ and not including it and charging 550$. Assuming a base price adjustment. Now if tesla where to continue to sell the UMC after sales at the 860$, though I can't find it at all for after sales, then there would be that 300$ incentive to buy when purchasing. Though as I cannot see what the after sales cost is it makes making that calculation speculative.
So mathematically it may be that but psychologically you may be right in that having the option to deselect it and save 550$ may appeal to more people. (Note that would be with a base price increase of 550$).
Now as there is a difference between the mathematical and the psychological what is a better overall outcome, however you might define that, might be debatable.
Having said that, I probably would have included the charger in my purchase if that was the choice at the time as 550$ seems cheap compared to the alternates. Although maybe I would have looked for a mobile EVSE that could do 3 phase 11kw instead of the 7kw tesla UMC can achieve. But am not sure which decade I might do a road trip that would actually benefit from that.

Mathematically there is no difference to having the charger included and being able to de-select it and save 550$ and not including it and charging 550$. Assuming a base price adjustment. Now if tesla where to continue to sell the UMC after sales at the 860$, though I can't find it at all for after sales, then there would be that 300$ incentive to buy when purchasing. Though as I cannot see what the after sales cost is it makes making that calculation speculative.
So mathematically it may be that but psychologically you may be right in that having the option to deselect it and save 550$ may appeal to more people. (Note that would be with a base price increase of 550$).
Now as there is a difference between the mathematical and the psychological what is a better overall outcome, however you might define that, might be debatable.
Having said that, I probably would have included the charger in my purchase if that was the choice at the time as 550$ seems cheap compared to the alternates. Although maybe I would have looked for a mobile EVSE that could do 3 phase 11kw instead of the 7kw tesla UMC can achieve. But am not sure which decade I might do a road trip that would actually benefit from that.
Sorry for the confusion - I should have been clearer. Let me try again!

"Don't you think it would have been better for Tesla to keep the base price as is, but give purchasers an option to deselect the UMC (and save $$ in doing so), while continuing to include the UMC's for those who needed them?"

So essentially, the base price remaining unchanged, people who don't need UMC remove it and get a credit, people who DO need it put the order through as is (retaining the UMC and base price remaining as is).

I agree, no doubt mathematically it's indifferent but I thought it was more about the "Tesla experience" or "psychological" as you describe. I mean most people buying a Tesla wouldn't or shouldn't even blink at an extra $550/$800

But I reckon it's like when I bought my first smart phone, it included everything in the box so I could enjoy it to the max without buying anything extra... now 15 years later it's just a phone in a box which is fine now, but imagine if they did that in year 2 or 3