Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Unofficial Guide To a Roadster Double-DIN Conversion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know I'm hardly the first to do the Double-DIN conversion, but I've been wanting to do this for a while now and it took me about 6 months to gather the parts. My installation is finally scheduled this week and hopefully all goes well, but I wanted to try to put together a quick reference guide for others interested in having this done.

Parts list:
1. Double DIN Binnacle with top vent cover (2 pieces) - make sure the front piece has mounting clips. Mine didn't and I had to grab some from my local SC. I bought this used from a member here, not sure what the cost and availability is through Tesla.

2. Double DIN vents - 2 total, left and right (available from Tesla for about $30/each)

ASSY DDIN VENT LH 6005494 1 2010MY onwards, Double DIN stereos
ASSY DDIN VENT RH 6005495 1 2010MY onwards, Double DIN stereos

3. Double DIN front bezel frame (had mine custom built, not sure about the cost and availability from Tesla)

4. Modified dashboard - I personally bought a Lotus dash on eBay, sent it to a shop for modification, and they sent it back. Alternatively, you can have the shop I used send you a template, then you can bring the template to your local shop and let your local shop cut the dash. You can also send your existing dash to the shop I used. They will route the new opening and send it back, but then your car will have no dashboard in the interim.

5. New A/C duct - I had mine custom built, again not sure about the cost and availability from Tesla.

6. New A/C foam pad - custom built

7. Airbag cover clips (4) - available from Lotus dealers and parts shops. Part number B121U0117F. One bag has 2 clips, so order 2 bags for 4 total.

For my headunit, the CarPlay compatible Pioneer NEX-8000, I also needed a bunch of cables, including a lightning cable (got a black 6 foot one from Amazon basics), Apple lighting Digital AV adapter, and a Pioneer USB lightning interface cable. I also bought a Pioneer 2DIN Installation kit. I'm sure whatever unit you end up installing will have its own unique requirements so I won't go into detail here.

Pictures of the parts are below:

Overview:
IMG_7070.jpg

Double-DIN binnacle front, vents, and binnacle top vent cover:
IMG_7072.jpg

Clips for the Double-DIN front piece:

IMG_7073.jpg

Missing clips:
IMG_7081.jpg

Clips attached:
IMG_7082.jpg

Double DIN frame:

4C80960F-25E1-487B-BF84-1DA0D2235588.jpg

Custom A/C Duct attached to modified dashboard (on a side note - my Roadster has the executive leather option and while nice, this was a huge pain. My original dash is wrapped in leather, so I had to get a custom leather wrap on my modified dashboard for a significant extra cost.)
IMG_7075.jpg

Custom A/C Foam piece:
IMG_7074.jpg

Airbag cover clips:
IMG_7076.jpg

Pioneer 8000NEX
IMG_7079.jpg

Installation kit:
IMG_7080.jpg

Various cables:
IMG_7077.jpg

I know Al and Ed's in West Hollywood has been doing this conversion for years. I almost went through them, but the cost and hassle of auto transport from Phoenix and back was cost prohibitive. I ended up using a shop called Concept:Carbon in Cincinnati, OH for many parts. They're a bit slow to respond to e-mails, but they will eventually and the work and support is solid. For the labor of modifying the dash, fabrication of the custom carbon fiber duct and front bezel frame, and A/C foam piece, I paid $350 + shipping. The owner has since provided me with detailed installation instructions with pics to give to my local installation shop as a guide, but he asked me not to publish these instructions in a public form because it is their custom work and instructions provided to their customers. So, I'm going to respect his wishes of course. As a reference, Tesla quoted me about $5000-$6000 (I think $5800?) for just the labor to do the conversion.

I'll try to add pictures of the completed conversion once it is done. Let me know if anyone has any questions or feedback in the meantime. I hope this is helpful.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: DeedWest
I took a slight shortcut with mine, I didn't bother to swap out or modify the dash cover because I never used the center vents anyways. I plugged the center vents under the dash and now the two side vents just blow twice as hard, which I prefer. My vent cover and vents in the middle are now just for show :)

Really nice conversion work!
You got me going on gathering pieces with your first posts on the subject when you got the Lotus top dashboard piece form ebay and had it modified.
Bart513 sold me his non-CF parts for #1, the top binnacle with the front piece...
Looking at your list, I'm still short quite a few pieces.

Do you have the piece number for the Lotus dashboard you got?
(I was looking at this site for OEM Lotus Elise parts and the dash doesn't look like the right part at all:
The Original Lotus Garage - Fascia Structure Supporting Hardware)

I was also looking at this older thread which includes some good pictures of the dash underbelly:
Single to Double DIN upgrade? - Page 3,
and they mention a DDIN metal bracket that your setup doesn't mention. Did you had to find this part also?

Do you have the piece number for the Lotus dashboard you got?
(I was looking at this site for OEM Lotus Elise parts and the dash doesn't look like the right part at all:
The Original Lotus Garage - Fascia Structure Supporting Hardware)

I was also looking at this older thread which includes some good pictures of the dash underbelly:
Single to Double DIN upgrade? - Page 3,
and they mention a DDIN metal bracket that your setup doesn't mention. Did you had to find this part also?

I think the Lotus Dash is: Part No: B121U0018

Found an almost 3-year old listing here: FS:FACIA PANEL-LESS GRILLES -NOS - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

The Roadster dash I just removed has the same exact Part No, so they must be exactly the same part. Remember, Chris over at Concept:Carbon can send you a template. Most shops can easily cut the the dash if they have a template to follow.

The DDIN bracket isn't needed if you have the DDIN frame pictured above. The top of DDIN frame serves the same function that the DDIN bracket would. You put that DDIN bracket in the place of the piece of the original dash frame that must be cut out.

I'll get a few more pictures of the cut piece and some general installation directions in a little bit.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and for those of you with the premium interior leather option, more specifically in this case a leather wrapped dashboard, I just found this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BLACK-LEATHER-DASH-LEATHER-SKIN-COVER-FITS-LOTUS-ELISE-EXIGE-S2-2007-2012-/231219679805?_trksid=p2054897.l4275

Wish I had known about that earlier. I had a local shop that does custom interiors wrap the modified Lotus dash. While he did a good job, it's not as nice at the OEM wrap and while you can't seem to tell in the pictures, the color is slightly different than the stock leather. It's really hard to match - in fact, I think we ended up using a charcoal leather used by Ford on a 90's model car. While we got awfully close, had I know about the above, I would have ordered that and had the local shop install it. Looks like that above leather wrap is custom fitted already and just glued on - an easy job for an upholstery shop.

General installation instructions are below. Concept: Carbon can provide the fully detailed instructions. I'm omitting some specific tips and techniques per their request and just providing a general overview.

1. Remove dashboard. The Lotus boards have a great guide. It's almost identical to the Roadster:

My Dash Removal Instructions - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

2. Cut the stock frame straight up from original opening. My installer said he actually used some very large tin snips to do this. I'm sure there are other methods, but that's what my installer did. He said he was concerned about sparks from a cutting tool. Found a picture of the frame from jbadger in this post:

WTB: Roadster Double Din Binnacle - Page 2

Here is a picture of the piece that was removed:

IMG_7122.jpg

3. Install new A/C foam piece

4. Install Double Din Frame

5. Align front double-DIN binnacle with airbag cover (Note: you will break your airbag clips when you remove the dash, so you'll need your new clips to re-install the airbag cover). Trim Double Din Frame if necessary to fit.

6. Wire new stereo components (while the dash is still off of course.)

7. Re-install dashboard.

8. Install new vents.

...and a few people have asked:

Concept:Carbon
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Conce...98214193630754
Chris Hundley
conceptcarbon (at) aol.com

PM me for Chris' cell phone number. He responds much faster to telephone calls.

For the local Phoenix folks, my local installer was:

Creative Car Stereo
338 E. Camelback Ave, Phoenix, AZ 85012
(602) 263-7969

Lance is the man over at Creative. Lance and the Nick T., head of the Scottsdale Tesla SC, used to work together at a Mercedes dealership a few years ago. Nick strongly recommends Lance for work the local SC does not perform and I guess Lance also installed dash cam in one of my friend's Model S's about a month ago per Nick's recommendation.