Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The unofficial "when do I get my FSD beta update" FAQ

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some FAQs for "where's my FSD beta" as the FSD beta audience gets larger...

A new version is released! When do I get mine?

Deployments seem to follow this cadence:
  • Employee pre-release testing - This is internal only. We may see a leak here or there for release notes.
  • Early access testers (1-2 days later) - This is likely the original people who signed up for early access when that was still a referral award, although unconfirmed.
  • Small release to existing beta testers (1-3 days later) - If you're already in FSD beta, you might get the latest beta a day or two sooner than everyone else.
  • Wide release to existing beta testers (1-3 days later) - Over several days, Tesla will roll this out to all EXISTING beta testers. You have to be in FSD beta to get it.
  • New beta testers (sometime during or after the wide release) - based on whatever the current Safety Score criteria is, if you are at or above that threshold, you *might* get FSD beta
New beta testers who meet the criteria after the release day MIGHT also receive the latest FSD beta after reaching the Safety Score threshold. However, these interim inductees to FSD beta are not guaranteed to get them on any specific schedule, if at all. Based on the last few versions, the interim scores seem to be batched every few days.

But, I hit the Safety Score. Why didn't I get it?
  • You need at least 100 miles driven. While some report edge cases of getting FSD beta sooner, the general consensus appears to be Safety Score threshold with at least 100 miles of driving history with Safety Score enabled.
  • Tesla may just choose to not release FSD beta to you/your region just yet. For instance, I am in NY and my friend is in CA. I hit my score on Monday. He hit is score on Tuesday. He got into FSD beta 48 hrs later, and I still haven't been invited. Could be anything, but it's reasonable to assume that the number of testers in a geographic region may be held back until Tesla has confidence to open it up.
  • There are many production variations of vehicles. Your car may not have the right camera equipment or computer, and may require new hardware. There may also be versions of FSD for specific years and models.
  • The FSD Safety Score looks at the last 30 days. If you had a high score roll off, your score may have dropped quietly unless you monitor it.
  • You didn't make the cut for the latest batch in an interim release. Tesla periodically pulls scores to distribute the beta. If you hit the Safety Score an hour after they pulled the score, you might not get it.
  • Finally, remember, Tesla is not obligated to give you anything during this early testing period. Sure everything is beta (including AutoPilot) but FSD beta is a very early beta at best - Tesla is not inviting everyone at once.

Let's say the Safety Score threshold right now is 99. My friend swears they got FSD beta as a 98. Are they lying?
  • Nobody knows. Maybe they got lucky. Maybe they hit 99 right when Tesla pulled the qualifying scores, and then dropped to 98 before a deploy happened. But this would not be typical.

How is everyone keeping track of these releases?
  • Teslascope.com (Vehicle Software Updates | Teslascope) and TeslaFi.com (TeslaFi.com Firmware Tracker) are where you can see a sample of Tesla owner vehicles and what version their cars are running. Note that this is not the entire Tesla fleet, just a sample. Trending releases (high install counts) are new releases.
  • Clicking on a specific software version in TeslaFi or Teslascope will show greater detail on that version. Most important for many is what is the prior version of software that car was running before receiving the latest FSD beta.
    • Example: FSD Beta 10.5 is 2021.36.8.8.
    • During the initial deployment, you can see that only cars that had 2021.36.8.5, 2021.36.8.6 and 2021.36.8.7 got this update. Those are all people that had FSD beta before.
    • When someone with an older version like 2021.32.22 gets it, you can reasonably expect that new invites are being rolled out.
Hope this thread is useful for those who have the numbers to show but aren't sure when they will get it. Feel free to add other FAQs here as needed.

There's also this spreadsheet that started on these forums right before 10.2. It has a smaller sample size than TeslaFi or Teslascope, but it can be insightful as well.

Reactions: alee
Just a thought to add...

Up until 10.4, guys that hit the required Safety Score would get FSD beta the evening they hit the requirement.

It seems that now they have some sort of a cutoff point... Once the next update gets within x days of being released, you won't get added to the testing fleet until the next release drops.

Reactions: Jamezam
Just a thought to add...

Up until 10.4, guys that hit the required Safety Score would get FSD beta the evening they hit the requirement.

It seems that now they have some sort of a cutoff point... Once the next update gets within x days of being released, you won't get added to the testing fleet until the next release drops.
Yeah seems to be batches and then it's cut off. We'll have to see how it goes going forward - Elon's tweet did suggest a more conservative rollout going forward after rough 10.3 deploy. Let's see if a new pattern emerges.

Reactions: Jamezam
FWIW, TeslaFi shows 1 car with 2021.36.5.1 being updated to 10.5, so perhaps new folks are starting to get it now?

I am currently on that version, never had FSD yet. Score is 98

1637707542424.png

FWIW, TeslaFi shows 1 car with 2021.36.5.1 being updated to 10.5, so perhaps new folks are starting to get it now?

View attachment 736577
Yes, that's a good sign... the pattern seems to be usually you'll see 1 car get it, and then in a little while a few hundred, before a full roll.

That car is a 2018, based in Idaho with about 20k miles on it. Went from 2021.32.22 to 2021.36.5.1 to FSD beta 10.5.

Reactions: LionCheeser
I’m on 36.5.1 and I reset my Beta enrollment after a phantom forward collision warning killed my safety score. My score was 100 after 71 miles as of last night and I must have hit 100 miles today since I’ve now been notified that 36.8.8 is waiting to download as soon as I can get my car home (fingers crossed!).

Reactions: alee
I’m on 36.5.1 and I reset my Beta enrollment after a phantom forward collision warning killed my safety score. My score was 100 after 71 miles as of last night and I must have hit 100 miles today since I’ve now been notified that 36.8.8 is waiting to download as soon as I can get my car home (fingers crossed!).

So you were enrolled for basically just one day and you got it? If so, that's great there's no 7 day waiting period.

Bruh I've been waiting 3 weeks and you're telling me I could have just reset it and got in right away? This rollout doesn't make any sense lol

Bruh I've been waiting 3 weeks and you're telling me I could have just reset it and got in right away? This rollout doesn't make any sense lol
I hear you. I almost lost it on Monday when my 99 Safety Score dropped to 96 after a completely bogus forward collision warning when I’d had 100s for a week. I’d try resetting and getting over 100 with a qualifying score as soon as you can. I can’t speak to whether geography or other factors may play into it tho.

Of course after we all reset to get back to 100, Tesla will make it a condition that we haven't reset or that your score survives a reset.

As itchy as I am to try it, I am also discovering that I am happiest using AP w/o NoA, sure NoA is smarter and more attentive, but if I just sit in my lane not bothering anyone I am much safer than when the car decides to change lanes and I look at the next lane over to assure all is well and tug the wheel to give it to go ahead and it turns out it's going the other direction and I only assumed it wanted to get into he fast lane and now the guy is honking at me for turning in front of him.

Tesla AP requires the least of me, and I arrive rested and ready to go, NoA and I assume FSD are still such early Betas that it will be a long time before I can actually enjoy them. Of course, if I get into the Beta, I can always turn them off...

They probably only sample who is ready to join the week before a release, like when it's released internally, so you will have to keep the high score for a few weeks if you just missed 10.6

I have been unable to get to 100 miles w/o having the system ding me for something I didn't do. I have a 130 mile trip to my cabin and so going up I tried to keep it at 100, but on an empty stretch of divided highway I got a forward collision warning. So I reset and on the way back at night on another empty stretch of road I got the same thing again. So I did another trip away from desolate roads on AutoPilot and I got dinged for Unsafe Following Distance even though I was on the MOST distant setting. Knocked me down to 97. I am not even doing the driving and I can't get 100 out of the safety score. I think I'm just going to the track and drive for a couple of hours and see what they ding me for there, probably Aggressive Turning. Sheesh!

• Informative
Reactions: Ciaopec
It actually took me 2 days to get over 100 miles after I reset, but that’s correct, I didn’t have to wait longer. I think my timing was good since they’re pushing the new update out if you have a qualifying safety score.
That’s so weird, I’ve been enrolled since Nov 30, I’ve driven over 550 miles, I have a 100 safety score, and NO FSD update.