Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The unofficial "when do I get my FSD beta update" FAQ

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Where did you get those dates and numbers? I would trust the NHTSA recall numbers as there was probably some rounding of ~54k up to 60k although still pretty accurate compared to the initial population of thousands. Here's my estimates:
View attachment 766034

Indeed there's been long gaps of no new additions to FSD Beta especially compared to early days where there were even daily additions, but unclear if that's specially for holiday update, NHTSA recalls, upcoming FSD Beta 11, if the population is "large enough" and/or some other reason.
It's clear Elon enjoyed handing out Christmas presents to new beta testers. Hopefully he's got a real soft spot for Valentine's Day.

Hmm I’ve taken at least a dozen drives since opting in several days ago, two of which were over 180 miles continuous (in Drive the whole time). I did logout of the app and back in, killed it and restarted it - still no safety score…

As for emails, when I was first accepted into the beta a few months ago, i did get the automated email from Tesla on FSD upon receiving the associated update that included the beta. But none before that, yet I had the safety score in my mobile app soon after opting in (and it disappeared shortly after updating to the FSD beta release).

Something must be up with my opting in request. I’ll try opting out again from the car controls, do a software update (my car is pending 2021.44.30.8), then opt back in to see what happens.
Same problem here. I’ve been waiting over a month since opting in and still don’t have a safety score. iPhone app is up to date and car is on 2022.4.5

Tried all the tricks - opted out/in beta, logged out so app, re-installed app. But still no score.

Did yours ever show up?

Same problem here. I’ve been waiting over a month since opting in and still don’t have a safety score. iPhone app is up to date and car is on 2022.4.5

Tried all the tricks - opted out/in beta, logged out so app, re-installed app. But still no score.

Did yours ever show up?
Did you try offering up your firstborn? Asking for a friend.........

I would be disappointed if I paid for FSD and was not in the Beta program. However, expecting to be in it, is uncalled for. And wining about it will only lead to sorrow.

FSD includes TACC, lane keeping, lane changing, NoA, auto-park, and summon...period. Any other expectations of FSD performance are irrelevant. Driving on City Streets was, is, and may always be, only an aspiration. FSD may never reach public release.

The purpose of the FSD Beta program is to use more and more of the fleet to help identify edge cases, period. Andre and the team need cautious drivers to try out intentionally buggy neural networks. They use the Safety Score as a hurdle to identify a superset of potential testers. Depending on changing needs, a certain quantity of cars are needed at different stages of development.

Wining about, "jumping through hoops" or having to upgrade hardware to be in the pool of potential testers. Or expecting to be included at any stage is missing the point.

This is not about "respect and trust" that Tesla is obligated to give any of us the Beta. Rather it is about being ready (Safety Score), using what ever other criteria THEY may have, so that we may get picked to participate. We need to trust that they are cautious enough. We do not need testers taking the family out for a Sunday FSD Beta drive.

We have been offered the rare opportunity to potentially experience and contribute to one of the most advanced AI efforts ever. If you can't handle driving like grandma and waiting in the meantime, then don't.
It is easy to preach when you are in the program and not in Safety Score Jail! Maybe, since Tesla seems to have capped the Beta program at 60K testers, they should kick out existing testers, such as yourself, and let in new testers to get data from different parts of the country. You could always join us in the “Safety Score Jail Que Line”. Don’t worry the que is only 2 months long and counting.

Last edited:
Since this seems to be my new way of life, I thought I would share pointers of life in Safety Score Jail:

1. Drive like you are 80 years old.
2. Stop using smart cruise and autopilot. Make a habit of following someone at two second intervals to get good “following minutes.” You have to offset the minutes when idiots pull into your two second interval. Note to Tesla: give me a few seconds to adjust back to two seconds following before dinging my Safety Score.
3. Don’t use the brake pedal. If you need more than standard regen, you are braking to hard. I have had to run a few stoplights to avoid the brake pedal. So much for safety score helping me drive safer.
4. If someone is turning left across your lane, you better be slowing down to avoid a forward collision warning. If you get more than two of these in a month, you are toast.
5. Remember to take turns like you are driving a Camry and not a planted ev.

I hope these help my fellow Safety Score Jail comrades.

Last edited:
I get the forward collision warning pulling out of my driveway. I think it sees my neighbor‘s truck in his driveway. right now, all I want is $15,000 back for three of these cars and give me “Enhanced Autopilot.” FSD will not happen with cameras. Elon forgot that humans use all five senses when driving. Adding radar and LiDAR may work. It obviously needs more than one sense to be safe on any road that is not a multi lane highway.

Since this seems to be my new way of life, I thought I would share pointers of life in Safety Score Jail:

1. Drive like you are 80 years old.
2. Stop using smart cruise and autopilot. Make a habit of following someone at two second intervals to get good “following minutes.” You have to offset the minutes when idiots pull into your two second interval. Note to Tesla: give me a few seconds to adjust back to two seconds following before dinging my Safety Score.
3. Don’t use the brake pedal. If you need more than standard regen, you are braking to hard. I have had to run a few stoplights to avoid the brake pedal. So much for safety score helping me drive safer.
4. If someone is turning left across your lane, you better be slowing down to avoid a forward collision warning. If you get more than two of these in a month, you are toast.
5. Remember to take turns like you are driving a Camry and not a planted ev.

I hope these help my fellow Safety Score Jail comrades.
2 second intervals is terrible advice. 3+ is what Tesla says for a good score.

Here's the problem at its core: FSD Beta is a serious commitment - it's much more stressful to drive on FSD Beta than to drive normally or even on AP. It demands quality drivers who take safety very seriously. Yet so many people are bitching about having to alter their driving habits to get a high safety score for the hope/chance of being invited into the FSD Beta.

This bears repeating: People are changing their driving habits to get into the Beta.

This is the equivalent of lying on your resume to get an interview, cheating on a test to get accepted into a university, etc. FSD Beta needs people who are, by nature, safe drivers.

If you are using terms like "Safety Score Jail", or "I have to drive like a grandma", or "I miss driving the car like I want to", then you really shouldn't be in the FSD Beta.

It's not a ride at Disneyland - FSD Beta is stressful and arduous. Constant disengagements and re-engagements to ensure the car is performing safely. Constant reporting to Tesla on conditions that the car did not handle correctly (I average about 4-5 reports daily when driving). Constant stress when other drivers are tailgating you, knowing that your car may suddenly brake or take a turn very oddly or jerky. I have two very large bumper stickers that I've custom made to warn people behind me that I'm a Self-Driving Test Vehicle and to use caution around me.

So, everyone who is complaining that they have to change how they drive, and are resenting the Safety Score, and missing how they used to drive, the FSD Beta is not for you. Go, drive and enjoy your car - it's an amazing car! Have fun with it. You will eventually get FSD on city streets when it rolls out to the general public - and without all the stress and serious commitment that's required to be a FSD Beta Tester.

Here's the problem at its core: FSD Beta is a serious commitment - it's much more stressful to drive on FSD Beta than to drive normally or even on AP. It demands quality drivers who take safety very seriously. Yet so many people are bitching about having to alter their driving habits to get a high safety score for the hope/chance of being invited into the FSD Beta.

This bears repeating: People are changing their driving habits to get into the Beta.

This is the equivalent of lying on your resume to get an interview, cheating on a test to get accepted into a university, etc. FSD Beta needs people who are, by nature, safe drivers.

If you are using terms like "Safety Score Jail", or "I have to drive like a grandma", or "I miss driving the car like I want to", then you really shouldn't be in the FSD Beta.

It's not a ride at Disneyland - FSD Beta is stressful and arduous. Constant disengagements and re-engagements to ensure the car is performing safely. Constant reporting to Tesla on conditions that the car did not handle correctly (I average about 4-5 reports daily when driving). Constant stress when other drivers are tailgating you, knowing that your car may suddenly brake or take a turn very oddly or jerky. I have two very large bumper stickers that I've custom made to warn people behind me that I'm a Self-Driving Test Vehicle and to use caution around me.

So, everyone who is complaining that they have to change how they drive, and are resenting the Safety Score, and missing how they used to drive, the FSD Beta is not for you. Go, drive and enjoy your car - it's an amazing car! Have fun with it. You will eventually get FSD on city streets when it rolls out to the general public - and without all the stress and serious commitment that's required to be a FSD Beta Tester.
Personally, the issue isn’t having to drive safely, I already do that, it’s having to constantly be concerned that some random event (like a vehicle changing lanes in front of you, or turning into a driveway) is going to preclude you from having a good score.

The street I live on is 55 mph so for me to not get a hard braking or turning event I have to really piss off the person behind me. Every day coming home from work I cringe and hope that the nearest car is at least 1/4 mile away. It’s actually less safe for me to take a slow turn into my drive, but the SS doesn’t care.

So, it’s not a matter of setting expectations, but setting them so high without regard for actual safety. I think the randomness of releases and lack of communication from Tesla compound the frustration, as well.

one mini factoid according to TeslaFi - still no new (none beta) cars as of 2/21 @ 13:30 CST
All current downloads so far came from an existing beta version and there are only a tiny number still left on previous versions.
This may change of course, but . . .

The street I live on is 55 mph so for me to not get a hard braking or turning event I have to really piss off the person behind me. Every day coming home from work I cringe and hope that the nearest car is at least 1/4 mile away. It’s actually less safe for me to take a slow turn into my drive, but the SS doesn’t care.
Based on this comment, the FSD Beta may not be for you. Your stress levels will go up, not down, on Beta. Pissing off drivers becomes the norm (I get high-beamed or honked at usually 1-2 times per week), as the car takes turns VERY cautiously, slows down rapidly for flashing yellow lights (near fire stations, etc), can be jerky (making you look like a drunk driver to people behind you) on right turns, etc.

There are many times the car just sits, like it's paralyzed in some situations, prompting you to have to disengage or tap/hold the accelerator to coax it into performing a maneuver - again, many times with someone behind you getting pissed.