Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The unofficial "when do I get my FSD beta update" FAQ

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After several weeks of having pressed the FSD opt-in request button and seeing no changes (app or in-car), I finally have a Safety Score section in my phone app.

However, I heard this was probably coincidental with the release of Safety Score for drivers in California who have Tesla insurance, despite the fact that it actually doesn't (supposedly) impact premiums out here..

Anyone else see their Safety Score finally pop up in their app?

Just got my Y about 2 weeks ago. Hit the FAD beta request immediately and started driving very carefully. Received a safety score Tuesday and hit 108 miles with a score of 100 this morning. Installed 2022.8.3 on Wednesday. Hopefully now that people are starting to see scores we will start seeing more enrollment?
dont get too excited! lol... i've been waiting 3 months now... but it could be any day so hang in there :)

Just got my Y about 2 weeks ago. Hit the FAD beta request immediately and started driving very carefully. Received a safety score Tuesday and hit 108 miles with a score of 100 this morning. Installed 2022.8.3 on Wednesday. Hopefully now that people are starting to see scores we will start seeing more enrollment?
Ah, I remember those days as a new owner, full of optimism and hope for the future.

Would like TMC to remind me of this post one year from now when you are a grizzled veteran that has experienced “Elon Time.” :)

score of 99 because of my car’s decision to tailgate
Aaron,

Safety Score does not include "Unsafe Following", when adaptive cruise control is engaged. Our favorite time to get dinged for this is entering or exiting freeways, when cruise control wants to drive faster than we are comfortable, and the scroll wheel doesn't change speed quickly enough.

Regarding the bigger issue of getting into the Beta program, Tesla Fi is tracking the software versions of over 17,000 cars, a decent sample of the entire fleet though probably biased toward nerds like us. Of these, around 2,400 are in the beta program. Around 750 more of us have 98 - 100 safety score, and many, like you and I, would like to join the Beta program. However, no more US owners have been added since December of last year.

Bear in mind that Beta is not the FSD we paid for, but rather a volunteer program to help Tesla get FSD working well. From reports here in TMC it is clear that Tesla is already aware of many, many bugs and edge cases that have yet to be fixed. My hunch is that almost all of the new reports Tesla receives now are repetitions of problems they already know about. If so, they may not need any more of us in the Beta program. Musk said they have 60,000 people in the program now, which is probably a large enough sample to capture most of the relevant edge cases.

I would suggest that the easy way to prevent your disgruntlement is to opt out for now, and instead fully enjoy the amazing driving capabilities of your new car. After a year of ownership, we are treating the Safety Score as a bizarre game, trying to figure out the rules and how to get perfect scores. Your 99%, by the way, beats 72% of the Tesla Fi players, well done!

SW

FSD beta testers up from 60K to 100K?
Not sure where the additional 40K came from? Driven 10K with a score of 99 and still to be inducted… what BS

Appreciate the feedack. Good to know the tailgating doesn’t affect my score. That means that the entirety of my score deficiency for safe driving results in the unsafe braking score I receive for actually stopping for yellow lights rather than accelerating through them. Would be comical if it wasn’t so ridiculous.

Reactions: pilotSteve
Bought an M3 to try out AP after using OpenPilot on Toyotas since 2019. Did the FSD sub. AP is nearly a garbage fire compared to OP in terms of quality.

Drove like a granny and all was going well until I got three false FCWs, which wrecked my score. Unsubbed from "FSD" and couldn't be happier with the car.

May install OP, Nav on OP is coming soon enough and it's OSS software so if you don't like how it drives, write your own code.

the unsafe braking score I receive for actually stopping for yellow lights
Right! That and hitting the breaks when some yoyo swoops close in front of us and then slams on his breaks.

The support documentation says that Hard Breaking is when the forward deceleration exceeds a certain limit. But that is hard for us to measure. I have been able to avoid this ding by using only regenerative breaking, no break pedal except occasional very gently. I do wonder if regen breaking on an uphill road would exceed the limit, but I hesitate to test it because it would hurt my score.

One trick to mitigate the Hard Breaking ding: The daily breaking score is the percentage of breaking during that day which is hard breaking. So, if you do have to hit the breaks hard, you can go for a drive and do a bunch of gentle breaking to dilute the ding and improve your score for that day. Best is a county road with little traffic, speed up to say 60, and then use regeneration to slow down to 20, over and over. It would infuriate anyone behind you, so pull over and let them pass.

Similarly, a hard turn or close following can be diluted. It has to be done the same day. When my wife got dinged one day while rushing to a doctor's appointment, I checked our score for the day and it was 81 due to a trifecta of Forward Colission Warning, Hard Breaking and Unsafe Following. All are percentages. So I went out to add miles (dilutes FCW), did the breaking thing, and on the freeway I counted seconds between me and the car I was following. I got our score for the day up to 91 which had much less impact on our overall average than 81 would have. It helps to have an Excel spreadsheet to log the daily details and cumulative score, and to compute the counter effects of potential dilution driving so I know how many miles to put on. Since the times spent following, breaking and turning are not displayed, I often stop midway through my corrective drive and check to see which elements need more work to reach the goal I set using the spreadsheet. This way I get to include my computer in the game, all the more fun!

To your bigger point about SS being silly, yes it is! I often (when it looks safe) roll a bit past stop signs, especially those at the bottom of a hill where regen doesn't quite get the car stopped in time. That is not the Safe or legal way to drive.

On the other hand, playing this real-life computer game in the real world does train us to pay very close attention to how we and Auto Pilot drive as well as the other drivers around us. Given that FSD Beta reportedly can and does occasionally do the wrong thing at the worst time, training us up on hyper attentive driving is probably a good idea. Silly, yes, but probably good for Tesla and us.

Our average score, by the way, just inched up from 98 to 99. According to my spread sheet, our average is really 98.52, which Tesla rounds up to 99. To get up to 100 (99.52 to be precise), we'd need 2,000 miles of 100's. But that day of 91 was on the first of the month, so it will drop out of consideration in a few days reducing that down to 600 more miles.

SW

Bought an M3 to try out AP after using OpenPilot on Toyotas since 2019. Did the FSD sub. AP is nearly a garbage fire compared to OP in terms of quality.

Drove like a granny and all was going well until I got three false FCWs, which wrecked my score. Unsubbed from "FSD" and couldn't be happier with the car.

May install OP, Nav on OP is coming soon enough and it's OSS software so if you don't like how it drives, write your own code.
Bare in mind FCWs on AP are not counted but can be dilluted! Also, the only Tesla they have OP running on is the older NON AP and/or AP1 Model S.

My biggest issue is hard braking. A yellow light and some one in front decides to slam the brakes. I had 6 days of 100 and today one hard braking brought my today's score to 91. I can forget trying to increase my score from 99 to 100 for 30 days. Really hard to get 100 and stay there for too long.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
I don't think the score really matters all that much. I got FSD-beta in December 2021 after having FSD for 2.5 years and requesting the beta 3/2021 when requests were first a thing, by email at that time and later in the app. I had a score of 98. I was just at the right place in line when the push went through. Meaning when they start pushing the beta again the score just qualifies you but doesn't assure anything.

Last edited:
brought my today's score to 91
You may still have time to improve your score for today! The hard braking score is the percentage of breaking which exceeded a threshold. If you drive more, and do more gentle braking, it will make the percentage of hard breaking for the day lower. At midnight the daily score locks in, so you have to dilute the poor score on the day it happened.

I do this by finding a straight road with little traffic. Accelerate to say 50, and regain break down to maybe 20. Repeat over and over. If someone comes up behind, pull over. When you get bored, put the car in park (I also get out, but am not sure that is necessary) give the car a few minutes to upload the trip, and then check the app to see how the day's score is doing.

Similar dilutions work for following and turning. Forward collisions are scored against total miles, both on the daily score and cumulative score, so for those you just need more miles without those warnings. There is a setting for the sensitivity of the audible warning. By setting it for earlier warning, you can get an audible alert before the SS registers it, which at least gives you a clue about what situations cause this. We find many are phantoms, with no real danger. The SS threshold is high enough that the phantoms seldom get included in the score, fortunately.

Hang in there, 100 is not too hard once you get the hang of it.

It still seems not to get one into Beta, sigh. Maybe they'll let more in, someday...

SW