Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The unofficial "when do I get my FSD beta update" FAQ

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lol…don’t think it will take a full year to become disgruntled. After driving 100 miles on the freeway (almost the entire way on auto steer) only to arrive with a new score of 99 because of my car’s decision to tailgate, I’m already figuring I’ll never get it.
Meh... I dunno, I guess it depends on your patience. I'm still pretty gruntled, and I've had my car since August of 2019 and FSD Beta since October of last year.

I've long since resigned myself to "Elon time." It also helps to realize that even though Elon said "this is far harder than we ever imagined" he *still* doesn't realize how hard it is. FSD is the new hardness standard... harder than diamonds. They just don't know it yet.

But in spite of that, I still love my car, and I love *driving* it. Sure, it'll be nice to let FSD take the wheel someday, but until then, it's a fantastic amusement device.

Reactions: JonB65
Chasing the driving score takes the fun out of driving Tesla's!
That's the truth! I've had my Tesla for about 5 months now and I'm a solid 96! My driving is almost all in a urban setting. There's now way I can drive 50 miles without a forward collision warning or unsafe following. I'm not going to invest the time in making some off hour trips just to dilute the reality of my driving situation. I'm a 96 and damn proud!

After driving consciously to maintain a safety score of 99 with hopes of getting FSD Beta, I finally decided to 'opt out'. Will follow this thread and 'opt in' if there is any further news of more people being allowed into the program.

My fear on this is that they'll select and accept a batch of new participants based on who has a good score at the time... and then wait another few months before another group. So if I leave myself out to wait on a new wave, I might miss it by the time it's reported and I join and build up the required history? I pushed the button this morning even though I don't want to drive like that, hoping to log a decent score before the "Thursday" rollout of 10.12 starts. Then I was foiled because I haven't yet gotten a Safety Score in the app, so who knows if my driving like a granny today even counts.

Still, I have the first world problem of having the beta on our Model 3, and wanting it also on the X. So they could also solve my problem by not making you re-apply for subsequent vehicles on the same Tesla account. :)

Reactions: VeekayMybalckY
My fear on this is that they'll select and accept a batch of new participants based on who has a good score at the time... and then wait another few months before another group. So if I leave myself out to wait on a new wave, I might miss it by the time it's reported and I join and build up the required history? I pushed the button this morning even though I don't want to drive like that, hoping to log a decent score before the "Thursday" rollout of 10.12 starts. Then I was foiled because I haven't yet gotten a Safety Score in the app, so who knows if my driving like a granny today even counts.

Still, I have the first world problem of having the beta on our Model 3, and wanting it also on the X. So they could also solve my problem by not making you re-apply for subsequent vehicles on the same Tesla account. :)
Thanks for the update on 10.12 release. I will ‘opt in’ and hope they allow more users with this release.

Right! That and hitting the breaks when some yoyo swoops close in front of us and then slams on his breaks.

The support documentation says that Hard Breaking is when the forward deceleration exceeds a certain limit. But that is hard for us to measure. I have been able to avoid this ding by using only regenerative breaking, no break pedal except occasional very gently. I do wonder if regen breaking on an uphill road would exceed the limit, but I hesitate to test it because it would hurt my score.

One trick to mitigate the Hard Breaking ding: The daily breaking score is the percentage of breaking during that day which is hard breaking. So, if you do have to hit the breaks hard, you can go for a drive and do a bunch of gentle breaking to dilute the ding and improve your score for that day. Best is a county road with little traffic, speed up to say 60, and then use regeneration to slow down to 20, over and over. It would infuriate anyone behind you, so pull over and let them pass.

Similarly, a hard turn or close following can be diluted. It has to be done the same day. When my wife got dinged one day while rushing to a doctor's appointment, I checked our score for the day and it was 81 due to a trifecta of Forward Colission Warning, Hard Breaking and Unsafe Following. All are percentages. So I went out to add miles (dilutes FCW), did the breaking thing, and on the freeway I counted seconds between me and the car I was following. I got our score for the day up to 91 which had much less impact on our overall average than 81 would have. It helps to have an Excel spreadsheet to log the daily details and cumulative score, and to compute the counter effects of potential dilution driving so I know how many miles to put on. Since the times spent following, breaking and turning are not displayed, I often stop midway through my corrective drive and check to see which elements need more work to reach the goal I set using the spreadsheet. This way I get to include my computer in the game, all the more fun!

To your bigger point about SS being silly, yes it is! I often (when it looks safe) roll a bit past stop signs, especially those at the bottom of a hill where regen doesn't quite get the car stopped in time. That is not the Safe or legal way to drive.

On the other hand, playing this real-life computer game in the real world does train us to pay very close attention to how we and Auto Pilot drive as well as the other drivers around us. Given that FSD Beta reportedly can and does occasionally do the wrong thing at the worst time, training us up on hyper attentive driving is probably a good idea. Silly, yes, but probably good for Tesla and us.

Our average score, by the way, just inched up from 98 to 99. According to my spread sheet, our average is really 98.52, which Tesla rounds up to 99. To get up to 100 (99.52 to be precise), we'd need 2,000 miles of 100's. But that day of 91 was on the first of the month, so it will drop out of consideration in a few days reducing that down to 600 more miles.

SW
A Guinness world record for how many times braking can be misspelled in one post.

Oh come on, give him a brake (or 20)
I count only 15, but then I count only about as well as I spell. Dictation and spell really deserve that prize.

Or, my mother. She was a founding member of DAM, Mothers Against Dyslexia. Spell check pretty much saved me, but then puns tend to break spell check, put the brakes on it, so to speak.

When it comes to hard-breaking the hard-braking record, and this may sound a bit like a broken record, let's put the brakes on this discussion and take a break to go hit the breakers. Smurfs up? ;-)

SW

• Funny
Reactions: tomas
Argh! It looks like Tesla is rolling beta 10.12.2 (version 2022.12.3.20) to new beta folks. That is the good news.

But our bad news (thanks to Mr. Murphy) is that our Y is in the shop, in Service Mode. The app doesn't even tell me if we've been offered the update, nor our current Safety score.

Safety score was 99, maintained for all these months but worthless because of a body ding received while parked? Ouch. At least we didn't get a "back end collision warning" when parked! Cheer up, things could be worse, my dad used to say.

Let's see. As of today, TeslaFi says about 300 non beta versions have updated to 10.12.2. They also show that 19% of their ~2400 safety scores in their fleet are 100 or 99, i.e. 456. including 98 scores there are 744. So if they 40% of the way through all the 98+ folks. Sounds like a pretty major roll-out.

Maybe, just maybe, if they do include us in the release, it'll still be available when we get the car back. Fingers crossed.

If not, well them's the brakes. ;-)

SW

Don’t sweat it. It ain’t that great.
Not so much getting this version FSD but getting out of SS madness while getting in on the beta track without having to continue the SS purgatory which I honestly don’t see going away no matter what Elon promises. At this point we all know to take what he says with a giant grain of salt when it comes to timing, not reliable since 2016 or earlier