Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The use of “the” before a freeway number

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ecarfan

I am starting this thread about a topic that comes up regularly in the California forums but has no relation to Tesla. It’s really kind of a silly discussion to me as someone who was born in Berkeley, grew up in the LA area, and has resided in San Mateo for the past 18 years.
to all the southerners please don't use 'the' with 101 up here, it is disrespectful of the pretty part of 101 that does not have the traffic
which is what I assume the means when you put it in front of a highway number.

Using “the” in front of a freeway number is just a regional usage that means nothing, just like not using “the” means nothing. Let it go. It doesn’t matter.

I say “the 101” because I learned to drive in So Cal since lived there from age 6 to 36. I still say “the 101” after 18 years in the Bay Area.

It doesn’t matter.

Last edited:
In the Bay Area I normally hear things such as "Take 101 to 237, then 880 north".
However in the UK it's normally with "the", "Take the M1 to the M6, then the A570".

Both are pretty clear to me, so go with whatever gets the idea across.

Is it odd that thinking of names and freeways made laugh and recall what Germans call their 'exits' :)

ausfahrt.jpg

Funny, I was having the 'the' conversation this weekend with a friend from Denmark. I'm from IL, and when I'm there I don't use it, but when I'm in CA I do. Seems to just be a regional thing, certainly doesn't have anything to do with (dis)respect, and to think it does is just the silly.