Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The use of a sunshield

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I was wondering how useful a sunshield is. I've put one in my Model 3 last night but my daughter do not have one. Both car are side by side, facing due South. It's 26C and sunny outside. I checked the interior temperature reading from the app on both car. Both read 42C so no advantage on the ambient air temperature. So, I took reading with an infrared thermometer behind the screen on both car. Mine read 39C and hers 52C, so a respectable impact there. I then checked the driver's seat back temperature. Mine read 34C and her read... 62C! Now, that's quite an impact the shield is having there :)

Are we talking about this? Model 3 Glass Roof Sunshade

We just got the front one. We were notified that was in stock, so we immediately placed an order and installed it a few days ago when it arrived. We haven't done any objective tests, but subjectively, I can say we love it. :) We don't feel like we need to wear a hat while driving the car, and we feel less heat from the sun via the roof while driving. We can also still see the sky, so overall it's been a huge plus. Highly recommended for anyone in a hot sunny environment. If we lived in Washington, Michigan or New York we probably wouldn't bother with it, but given we're in the south with a very intense level of sunshine, we're glad to have it.

No, not roof but windshield. In Canada, I doubt a roof shade would be useful. It doesn't get hot enough for long enough to bother us here. Well, in the East at least. Last summer in BC, it was really bad so may be them...