Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The used market is confusing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla bought the car back as a lemon buyback (they could not repair a door ding within the 30-day lemon law window and instead bought the car back from the first buyer), and I got a scorching deal on it. After the buyback, they sold it at auction to a used car dealer, and that is who I purchased it from.

Within 1 hour of buying the car, I took it to the nearest service center for a SW upgrade (was still on V9), and they printed out the config on the car for me, which clearly shows EAP on it, but it wasn't active on the car (only Basic AP). By the time I am able to drive it across the country and check with my local service center, it shows Basic AP now on the same config sheet.

Essentially, they sold it from the auction house to the dealer with EAP in the spec sheet, but already removed it from the car. They refuse to turn it back on for me, and given that I paid 45k for a fully loaded P3D with 230 miles on it, I refuse to pay $7k for FSD, so we are at an impasse. I still consider FSD a gimmick and not worth the cost, and the only real function I want is lane change on AP. I will never use advanced summon, etc.
Unfortunately that means they legally removed EAP.

I think they did it after the fact, but they had ownership and can claim otherwise. They are overtly stealing options from cars bought new and never resold right now, I'm not doubting you just their ability to claim they were justified. They think they can steal everything and probably think they still own every tesla.

Tesla has become a rather dishonest company lately.

Reactions: bkp_duke
I think they did it after the fact, but they had ownership and can claim otherwise. They are overtly stealing options from cars bought new and never resold right now, I'm not doubting you just their ability to claim they were justified. They think they can steal everything and probably think they still own every tesla.

Tesla has become a rather dishonest company lately.

I smell a class action in their future.

Class Action on the battery downgrades was filed months ago - you are automatically included. You'll need to fight this one yourself for now though, EAP downgrades are new. I doubt you're alone and I doubt you're the last.

I second the private party option. I had a great experience buying my 14MS85 from a TMC member.
It had 105,000 miles on it when I bought it.
The car was well maintained.
I had access to all maintenance records shared by the seller.
I was able to test drive the car before committing to the purchase.
I was able to inspect the car inside and out before agreeing to buy the car.
I’m enjoying my car, no warranty other than the battery and drive motor 8 year coverage.
I now have more than 168,000 on my MS and have gladly repaired two door handles myself and had an MCU replaced in good will after a software update.
Recommend getting to know the maintenance department at your local Service Center.

We almost exclusively drive our MS. It is our daily driver. We saved $2250 dollars on gasoline last year (20 mpg on my other vehicle). I saved $60 on two DIY oil changes.

I spent about $550 on home charging at night while I slept last year for commuting.

We love Tesla road trips, and use the supercharger network while putting on highway miles every other month or so.

The cost difference allows me to enjoy the Tesla acceleration, quiet ride, lack of vibration, roomy frunk and AP1 while still spending far less on maintenance, including the occasional non-warranty repair.

Bottom line: TMC private party can be great.

Good luck shopping.

AF3D4A1C-1078-4927-9830-E1A8B7474241.jpeg

I second the private party option. I had a great experience buying my 14MS85 from a TMC member.
It had 105,000 miles on it when I bought it.
The car was well maintained.
I had access to all maintenance records shared by the seller.
I was able to test drive the car before committing to the purchase.
I was able to inspect the car inside and out before agreeing to buy the car.
I’m enjoying my car, no warranty other than the battery and drive motor 8 year coverage.
I now have more than 168,000 on my MS and have gladly repaired two door handles myself and had an MCU replaced in good will after a software update.
Recommend getting to know the maintenance department at your local Service Center.

We almost exclusively drive our MS. It is our daily driver. We saved $2250 dollars on gasoline last year (20 mpg on my other vehicle). I saved $60 on two DIY oil changes.

I spent about $550 on home charging at night while I slept last year for commuting.

We love Tesla road trips, and use the supercharger network while putting on highway miles every other month or so.

The cost difference allows me to enjoy the Tesla acceleration, quiet ride, lack of vibration, roomy frunk and AP1 while still spending far less on maintenance, including the occasional non-warranty repair.

Bottom line: TMC private party can be great.

Good luck shopping.

View attachment 501926

Great post! Yours looks like a wonderful spec and shows well in the picture. I’m looking to do exactly as you did this year and hope to find a good ‘12-‘14 P85 for around $23-$26K.