Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The used market is confusing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This raises a really important question. I was almost put off by the $2K delivery charge. Ouch! But they're unclear about when it applies, since it says "may apply". Anyone know the rules?

I'm in Arizona and could drive to one of their 2 dealerships, but I never see a used listing from there. If I see one from Colorado is that an additional $2K?
It's $2k if they actually ship it to your nearest service center for delivery. If you fly to where it is and pick it up where it is you don't pay the delivery fee. This is why it "may apply" or may not.

It's $2k if they actually ship it to your nearest service center for delivery. If you fly to where it is and pick it up where it is you don't pay the delivery fee. This is why it "may apply" or may not.

Interesting. $2K is steep, plus all these posts about lack of inspection.

I'm starting to understand why so many here say they love the car and hate the company. I'm getting that vibe already and I'm just a curious shopper.

Interesting. $2K is steep, plus all these posts about lack of inspection.

I'm starting to understand why so many here say they love the car and hate the company. I'm getting that vibe already and I'm just a curious shopper.
Having bought three used Model S cars from Tesla now and experienced what is easily the worst customer service I've ever received on ANY product at ANY price point I'd have to agree with that summary: we love our cars and hate Tesla as a company more and more by the day.

Reactions: MichaelP90DL
Having bought three used Model S cars from Tesla now and experienced what is easily the worst customer service I've ever received on ANY product at ANY price point I'd have to agree with that summary: we love our cars and hate Tesla as a company more and more by the day.

So would you still bite the bullet and go Tesla or would you now go private if you were purchasing used again?

Also, that’s a lot of Tesla buying! Lol

So would you still bite the bullet and go Tesla or would you now go private if you were purchasing used again?

Also, that’s a lot of Tesla buying! Lol
I don't think it's that simple. After all, you're comparing used cars so the variables are nearly infinite and you need to account for all of them & what they mean to you personally in terms of value. Only you can decide what this value is to determine what a good "deal" is. Source is but another of these variables and you have to decide how much each of the differences is worth to you as you shop. You may think that one car sold private is a killer deal and meanwhile I find that a similar car sold by Tesla is a better deal. You just have to weigh all of the pros and cons on a case by case basis and determine if it's a good deal for you or not.

Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
I would but I've read here that it's difficult to get anyone on the phone. I thought someone might have insight into the local market.
Read here that's it's difficult to get anyone on the phone? At a Tesla store? While don't you ask us to call for you? LOL
Oh, I get it, you are just making conversation. You are not really interested in buying a Tesla. Got it. :)

• Disagree
Reactions: Emaz
I don't think it's that simple. After all, you're comparing used cars so the variables are nearly infinite and you need to account for all of them & what they mean to you personally in terms of value. Only you can decide what this value is to determine what a good "deal" is. Source is but another of these variables and you have to decide how much each of the differences is worth to you as you shop. You may think that one car sold private is a killer deal and meanwhile I find that a similar car sold by Tesla is a better deal. You just have to weigh all of the pros and cons on a case by case basis and determine if it's a good deal for you or not.

There's a really good deal on their site now. It's complicated for me by the fact that I'll be ready to make a move within weeks but not today. Plus I still don't understand the feature set yet, and I'm pretty sure I'd incur the $2K delivery, which makes the deal less attractive.

I probably need to immerse myself in the features and the pros/cons a bit longer in order to make an educated decision.

Your feedback has been helpful.

Read here that's it's difficult to get anyone on the phone? At a Tesla store? While don't you ask us to call for you? LOL
Oh, I get it, you are just making conversation. You are not really interested in buying a Tesla. Got it. :)

Well that's a warm reception to a prospective buyer. I hope the sales people are equally so nice and helpful.

Buy low, sell high.
Don't take any wooden nickels.
The early bird...
You get what you paid for (or deserve)...
Take a look at the used Teslas on the forum under Tesla For Sale.
Folks on here pretty much generally love taking care of their Tesla's.
Meaning they are forthcoming with info about their cars. You can private message them for more info.
Ask about their mileage and warranty. Do your research. I am confident you will find the perfect car for yourself.
W00 OP

So I’m in the market for a used Tesla and just joined this forum.

I’ve been nervous to buy private party because of the warranty expiring, (depending on mileage) but if you buy from Tesla, they offer a 2 year warranty correct? But I’ve read so many horror stories here about Tesla selling used lemons.

Plus, I keep reading that Tesla ended their CPO program and yet, they do sell used cars, with warranties.

The feature set is confusing too.

Starting to wonder if a used Tesla is even a good idea. I’ve read of a few good experiences here, but far more bad than good.

I guess my biggest question is this: I thought Teslas were far more simple than gas powered cars so far fewer things go wrong. Then I read about MCU issues, GPS issues, then there are the few crashes in the media... so what happens with a high mileage Tesla? What happens near the end of battery life, and what other things should I be careful of if buying used? I thought a used Tesla purchase would be a no brainer, but instead I’m overwhelmed, so thanks for any pointers.

I'm in the same situation and have been monitoring ev-cpo.com for about a month. I wish I could find one locally but I'm located in St. Louis and Chicago is the closest I've seen any offered CPO in my price range ~45k. I called Tesla St. Louis to ask if they could provide info on local sales but was told to visit the website for all used information. I want a model S but worry about battery, door handle, and mcu failures, so warranty is a must, and autopilot. I noticed all 60kw facelifts were uncorked on the cpo site recently, they no longer offer 60kw 2016 model S with the facelift.

I'm in the same situation and have been monitoring ev-cpo.com for about a month. I wish I could find one locally but I'm located in St. Louis and Chicago is the closest I've seen any offered CPO in my price range ~45k. I called Tesla St. Louis to ask if they could provide info on local sales but was told to visit the website for all used information. I want a model S but worry about battery, door handle, and mcu failures, so warranty is a must, and autopilot. I noticed all 60kw facelifts were uncorked on the cpo site recently, they no longer offer 60kw 2016 model S with the facelift.
As well as the X 60s. Looks like they were all updated to 75D.

I bought two used from Tesla, picked up both to avoid the $2k delivery fee and have loved both of the cars. Both had some scratches and small issues, but all were expected and accepted since I saved about $4-7k per car and got longer warranty over the used.

what’s your budget?

I really don’t need a new car, I just want a Tesla LOL

I’ve only just started to consider one. A great deal at $35K would be a no brainer. Maybe I’d go up to 40, 42 just to get a better car or other features. It’s hard to justify more just because I have an itch for a Tesla. I love the style of the S, reminds very much of the 2010 Jaguar XF I had, so probably an S over a 3.

I don’t need long range, I only drive 75-100 miles per week and I don’t travel a lot. But I’d probably be better off with 75 or higher merely to avoid Batterygate. Or maybe batterygate is exaggerated and I can get a 60 or 70 and put more money toward features.

I’m not sure what other features I need or which ones are add-ons. I’d like the sentry mode, don’t know if that’s standard. I’m all about the tech but still learning about features.

I am definitely concerned about insurance prices, and repair costs and time - not for wear and tear, but the repair horror stories I’ve read if someone hits you and does serious damage.

So that’s my current thinking. Still on the fence here. Customer service stories have really put me off. But the itch remains.

How many bad customer service stories have you heard? How many Teslas are owned? Do you think that all the customer service stories you have hear represent 1% or even .1% of all the Tesla's owned? If so, don't buy one. People come here to post bad stories and good stories. Are you reading the good stories or only looking for the bad ones?

How many bad customer service stories have you heard? How many Teslas are owned? Do you think that all the customer service stories you have hear represent 1% or even .1% of all the Tesla's owned? If so, don't buy one. People come here to post bad stories and good stories. Are you reading the good stories or only looking for the bad ones?
I really don’t need a new car, I just want a Tesla LOL

I’ve only just started to consider one. A great deal at $35K would be a no brainer. Maybe I’d go up to 40, 42 just to get a better car or other features. It’s hard to justify more just because I have an itch for a Tesla. I love the style of the S, reminds very much of the 2010 Jaguar XF I had, so probably an S over a 3.

I don’t need long range, I only drive 75-100 miles per week and I don’t travel a lot. But I’d probably be better off with 75 or higher merely to avoid Batterygate. Or maybe batterygate is exaggerated and I can get a 60 or 70 and put more money toward features.

I’m not sure what other features I need or which ones are add-ons. I’d like the sentry mode, don’t know if that’s standard. I’m all about the tech but still learning about features.

I am definitely concerned about insurance prices, and repair costs and time - not for wear and tear, but the repair horror stories I’ve read if someone hits you and does serious damage.

So that’s my current thinking. Still on the fence here. Customer service stories have really put me off. But the itch remains.