Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The used Model S "Sweetspot" for bargain shoppers, Total budget $41k or less.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So for the past several weeks, I have been cramming as much Tesla knowledge down my throat to try and make sensible choices. I've made a couple of posts and I think I know where to go on the charging aspect of things now for my house but still feel a little squeamish about what to look for in buying a used Tesla Mosel S. I just sold my 2014 Lexus IS350 AWD for a decent profit and am looking to cut the gasoline out of my life for commuting to work. Sorry but I am not a fan of the Model 3(no heads up display, too small overall) and the Model S has such a "presence" that I really like not to mention roomy inside. My Lexus was very nice inside but it wasn't that roomy which is still ok, My wife and I don't have any children and we usually road trip in her Mazda CX-5. I don't have any plans to be driving a Tesla on long drives where I need to charge on the way. All of my travels will be well within range of the battery. I also don't mind tinkering with cars, I'm no mechanic but I know how to keep a car on the road without it breaking down. I'm a petrol head!

I live in Indiana so the weather is all over the place but I do not intend to drive the Tesla in the snow ( I have an older Trailblazer 4x4 for that.) but I will drive it in the winter when it is not snowing. I am also a performance enthusiast but it seems I am more fascinated with cars with quick acceleration and grip and also how sexy a car can look.

I feel the Model S fits this criteria like a glove.

Now I havent owned a RWD "car" since my first car a 1980 Chevy Monza and several Chevy S-10 pickup trucks, yes I had a GMC Syclone as well but it was AWD. All of my other vehicles have been FWD or AWD. But this is where my first question comes up that I fight myself over. AWD or RWD? Keep in mind I am budget conscious! I also dont need a "P" model either, these are plenty quick enough for me in the non "P" versions.

Question two, who should I buy from? Private seller or dealer or is there another resource I am not aware of? I have friends that can buy from auctions but those cars scare me.
My dealership experience in the last 3 weeks while looking in my area has been a disaster, no used car dealer close by knows anything about Tesla's and they let them sit on their lots without charging them. Then you ask for a test drive and they say they need charged first. I also ask questions and they give me BS answers, typical car salesman mumbo jumbo. I do not want to rush this process of finding a bargain Model S Deal and no dealer will "haggle" like they did back in the day.

I test drove a 2017 Model S 75D and loved it and the technology in it, but we couldn't agree on a price. I was amazed at seeing cars all around me showing up on the heads up display as I sat at a stop light, the whole time my wife was fiddling with the 17 inch screen. I love technology but am not sure if I would use it to its fullest on my daily commute. I also don't drive distracted like others around here on the road. I think just the thought of knowing its there is really enticing, but will I use it?

And the last question is battery size. Again, commuting only and no road trips. Id say the most I would ever drive in a day would be 150 miles, and that would be like once a month to visit family.

From looking around the forums here, it seems as though the most desirable Model S is the 2016.5 model and newer . I am assuming that is because of all of the cameras and AP2, remaining DU/Battery warranties and newer MCU? It seems however that only 2014-2015 are in my budget and if I do find that 2016 or 2017, its thousands of miles away.

I am interested in everyone's thoughts.

Last edited:
Reactions: ElectricIAC
If have any links to some good ones I'd like to see them. I saw some on Amazon but they all look like CHINESE QUALITY JUNK!!

Upvote 0
Well you Model 3 fans should be grinning now. I found a 2018 Model 3 LR AWD with some nice features and we both agreed on a price. Now its up to the banks. I will say the owner did many tasteful mods on it, ones that I would have done myself.

Fingers crossed that I can get this deal sealed this week.

View attachment 792225

My 2018 Model 3 P is blue. I do agree with you that the S looks better, (especially from the front), but I am still as happy driving it as I was when I bought it in dec of 2018.

Reactions: CLOONEY003@GMA
Upvote 0
I couldnt access that site, but i just found this, is it similar?

Upvote 0
Reactions: CLOONEY003@GMA
Upvote 0
While I thought that at first, it took all of about 30 miles to get used to it. Naturally, you do you…but since Hertz in some places has some rentals, it might be worth your time to spend a day in one before you rule it out. If that isn’t an option in your area, maybe Turo.com - Something more than just a test drive. I would think you could get newer and lower mileage for your budget, if you got used to it quickly.
that is a great point....

Upvote 0
Well you Model 3 fans should be grinning now. I found a 2018 Model 3 LR AWD with some nice features and we both agreed on a price. Now its up to the banks. I will say the owner did many tasteful mods on it, ones that I would have done myself.

Fingers crossed that I can get this deal sealed this week.

View attachment 792225
Sealed the Deal!! Picking it up this weekend.

Upvote 0
More than that. This thing will rust out before i get rid of it..oh wait..they dont rust!!

While the Model S is largely an all aluminum body, many people falsely assume that the Model 3 is obviously the same.

Here's a pretty good graphic that illustrates the mix of metals with the majority of the Model 3 structure is actually various steel alloys.

1650017522672.png

I believe this graphic comes from a Tesla body repair technical document, but to give credit for where I found it, here is link to the source article which I'm referencing.

Upvote 0