Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The used Model S "Sweetspot" for bargain shoppers, Total budget $41k or less.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So for the past several weeks, I have been cramming as much Tesla knowledge down my throat to try and make sensible choices. I've made a couple of posts and I think I know where to go on the charging aspect of things now for my house but still feel a little squeamish about what to look for in buying a used Tesla Mosel S. I just sold my 2014 Lexus IS350 AWD for a decent profit and am looking to cut the gasoline out of my life for commuting to work. Sorry but I am not a fan of the Model 3(no heads up display, too small overall) and the Model S has such a "presence" that I really like not to mention roomy inside. My Lexus was very nice inside but it wasn't that roomy which is still ok, My wife and I don't have any children and we usually road trip in her Mazda CX-5. I don't have any plans to be driving a Tesla on long drives where I need to charge on the way. All of my travels will be well within range of the battery. I also don't mind tinkering with cars, I'm no mechanic but I know how to keep a car on the road without it breaking down. I'm a petrol head!

I live in Indiana so the weather is all over the place but I do not intend to drive the Tesla in the snow ( I have an older Trailblazer 4x4 for that.) but I will drive it in the winter when it is not snowing. I am also a performance enthusiast but it seems I am more fascinated with cars with quick acceleration and grip and also how sexy a car can look.

I feel the Model S fits this criteria like a glove.

Now I havent owned a RWD "car" since my first car a 1980 Chevy Monza and several Chevy S-10 pickup trucks, yes I had a GMC Syclone as well but it was AWD. All of my other vehicles have been FWD or AWD. But this is where my first question comes up that I fight myself over. AWD or RWD? Keep in mind I am budget conscious! I also dont need a "P" model either, these are plenty quick enough for me in the non "P" versions.

Question two, who should I buy from? Private seller or dealer or is there another resource I am not aware of? I have friends that can buy from auctions but those cars scare me.
My dealership experience in the last 3 weeks while looking in my area has been a disaster, no used car dealer close by knows anything about Tesla's and they let them sit on their lots without charging them. Then you ask for a test drive and they say they need charged first. I also ask questions and they give me BS answers, typical car salesman mumbo jumbo. I do not want to rush this process of finding a bargain Model S Deal and no dealer will "haggle" like they did back in the day.

I test drove a 2017 Model S 75D and loved it and the technology in it, but we couldn't agree on a price. I was amazed at seeing cars all around me showing up on the heads up display as I sat at a stop light, the whole time my wife was fiddling with the 17 inch screen. I love technology but am not sure if I would use it to its fullest on my daily commute. I also don't drive distracted like others around here on the road. I think just the thought of knowing its there is really enticing, but will I use it?

And the last question is battery size. Again, commuting only and no road trips. Id say the most I would ever drive in a day would be 150 miles, and that would be like once a month to visit family.

From looking around the forums here, it seems as though the most desirable Model S is the 2016.5 model and newer . I am assuming that is because of all of the cameras and AP2, remaining DU/Battery warranties and newer MCU? It seems however that only 2014-2015 are in my budget and if I do find that 2016 or 2017, its thousands of miles away.

I am interested in everyone's thoughts.

Last edited:
Reactions: ElectricIAC
If you’re stretching your budget just to afford a ~2014 Model S, what are you going to do when that car needs a new battery or drive unit to the tune of $10-20k?

Or a new onboard charger at ~$3k?

Or a new AC compressor at ~$3k?

Or a new DC-DC converter at ~$3k?

Or or or? Hell, even a windshield is $1500.

This is not the $40k car you’re looking for.

Upvote 0
I've read everything so far and have learned a lot including someone who sent me a PM about spotting a new battery pack that are in unsuspecting dealers inventories. I think deals can be had using my Lexus as an example. I traded a 2015 Ford Focus ST in 2019 for a fully loaded 2014 Lexus IS350 FSport in mint condition straight up. It had a dealer installed Lexus FSport intake and Lexus FSport stainless exhaust on it from a previous owner and the dealer didn't even realize it because when I asked if that was factory, the salesman said "it sure is". The dealer for some reason wanted my Focus ST so bad we ended up just swapping cars. I sold it today for more than I paid for it in 2019.

Lexus reliability and the crazy market helped make it possible. But looking back now that was the best deal I had ever made on a vehicle in my life and i hadnt planned on selling it until gas prices cost me more than my monthly payment. Two years ago at this time I was upside down on that Focus by like $8K, now 2 1/2 years later I was able to profit $6K. I basically drove a Lexus for free other than that premium fuel, oil changes and a new set of tires.

The only thing "techy" I want from a Tesla is AP1 and the ability to charge from home. I don't need AP2, FSD, Air Suspension, unlimited supercharging hell I don't even need navigation because I know where I am going on a daily basis, if not I have a dumb phone. Even If the screen is laggy, I don't really care, as long as the car can get me to and from work without a drop of gasoline I'm good. I get the whole thing of "you'll want to road trip in it, you'll want to supercharge it." Yes I have two other vehicles that are paid off, if I want to road trip I'll drive those. One gets 30mpg and runs fine on regular gas but my wife drives it daily so that's not an option for my daily commute.

My plan was to keep a Tesla for at least 10 years so I knew I would end up forking out money for all of this silly Tesla tech that craps out, just like any other car. The Lexus infotainment center crapped out on me right after I bought it. Its really annoying when your screen reboots over and over and the radio comes on, and shuts off over and over. Since Lexus never recalled it, I just learned to live it. To have it fixed was going to cost me almost $7K from the dealer, I said to hell with it, I don't need a radio!

I want a sexy looking car that accelerates with the best and also rivals or exceed the looks of my Lexus and the Model S does that for me. The Model 3 is cute, and is a nice car but its not badass looking. The Model 3 to me is the same as the Prius was in 1997 I don't drive cute cars unless I can make them look baddass, and I have seen some baddass Model 3's but it involves a lot of aftermarket parts I don't want to waste money on. If I wanted a cute car I would buy a 2nd Gen Chevy Volt.

The Model S makes a statement with its presence, the Model 3, yeh not so much!!

My next step up from a Lexus is ultimately a Tesla Model S 2016.5 or newer, I might spend years finding one with a decent DU/battery warranty left on it or maybe one with a new battery/DU in it some stupid dealer doesn't recognize and just prices it to sell with the herd of other Teslas on the market. I'm sticking with my original plan but with the knowledge you guys have graciously shared here. I now know what I am looking for and what to look out for.

As with anything else in life, its a gamble for sure. Some you win and some you lose!!

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: David29
Upvote 0
I've read everything so far and have learned a lot including someone who sent me a PM about spotting a new battery pack that are in unsuspecting dealers inventories. I think deals can be had using my Lexus as an example. I traded a 2015 Ford Focus ST in 2019 for a fully loaded 2014 Lexus IS350 FSport in mint condition straight up. It had a dealer installed Lexus FSport intake and Lexus FSport stainless exhaust on it from a previous owner and the dealer didn't even realize it because when I asked if that was factory, the salesman said "it sure is". The dealer for some reason wanted my Focus ST so bad we ended up just swapping cars. I sold it today for more than I paid for it in 2019.

Lexus reliability and the crazy market helped make it possible. But looking back now that was the best deal I had ever made on a vehicle in my life and i hadnt planned on selling it until gas prices cost me more than my monthly payment. Two years ago at this time I was upside down on that Focus by like $8K, now 2 1/2 years later I was able to profit $6K. I basically drove a Lexus for free other than that premium fuel, oil changes and a new set of tires.

The only thing "techy" I want from a Tesla is AP1 and the ability to charge from home. I don't need AP2, FSD, Air Suspension, unlimited supercharging hell I don't even need navigation because I know where I am going on a daily basis, if not I have a dumb phone. Even If the screen is laggy, I don't really care, as long as the car can get me to and from work without a drop of gasoline I'm good. I get the whole thing of "you'll want to road trip in it, you'll want to supercharge it." Yes I have two other vehicles that are paid off, if I want to road trip I'll drive those. One gets 30mpg and runs fine on regular gas but my wife drives it daily so that's not an option for my daily commute.

My plan was to keep a Tesla for at least 10 years so I knew I would end up forking out money for all of this silly Tesla tech that craps out, just like any other car. The Lexus infotainment center crapped out on me right after I bought it. Its really annoying when your screen reboots over and over and the radio comes on, and shuts off over and over. Since Lexus never recalled it, I just learned to live it. To have it fixed was going to cost me almost $7K from the dealer, I said to hell with it, I don't need a radio!

I want a sexy looking car that accelerates with the best and also rivals or exceed the looks of my Lexus and the Model S does that for me. The Model 3 is cute, and is a nice car but its not badass looking. The Model 3 to me is the same as the Prius was in 1997 I don't drive cute cars unless I can make them look baddass, and I have seen some baddass Model 3's but it involves a lot of aftermarket parts I don't want to waste money on. If I wanted a cute car I would buy a 2nd Gen Chevy Volt.

The Model S makes a statement with its presence, the Model 3, yeh not so much!!

My next step up from a Lexus is ultimately a Tesla Model S 2016.5 or newer, I might spend years finding one with a decent DU/battery warranty left on it or maybe one with a new battery/DU in it some stupid dealer doesn't recognize and just prices it to sell with the herd of other Teslas on the market. I'm sticking with my original plan but with the knowledge you guys have graciously shared here. I now know what I am looking for and what to look out for.

As with anything else in life, its a gamble for sure. Some you win and some you lose!!
As long as you go into it knowing the risks, expectations and what you want you’ll be fine. I agree Model 3 is cute, S is handsome.

I think given the crazy situation with cars (new or used). Cherry picking one will be harder. And anything that goes through a dealer will highly likely lose free super charging. Electricity is going up too !!! I lost free super charging trading in my X for an S. It was a nice perk.

One thing I do like about Model S is they have not changed it much. 2016.5 looks very similar to 2022. Even though folks complain it’s not enough change it makes older cars hold value better. And if older cars hold value better so do newer ones.

Get more range than you think you need. I traded my X for S partly for more range. 405 miles. I still want more range. I’ll be happy at 500 miles, maybe. And I don’t do long road trips. I keep my charge at 80%. I never like to go below 20%. In winter you lose ~20%. So I’m only getting 40% of that (spontaneous) range in winter. I want to do a round trip to my camp 120 miles away without charging. Without preplanning (charging higher ahead of time). That’s only 162 miles (on a 405 range car). You pay top dollar at super chargers.

Check into 3rd party warranty. I’ve read it’s as cheap as $3k for 50K miles. But there might be restrictions. Like amount of miles and year. Make sure the car you get can get that warranty if you want to go that route.

Take your time finding the right car.

Lots of folks refreshing their S with a Refresh S. And lots of Model 3 owners trading up.

Reactions: CLOONEY003@GMA
Upvote 0
No company on this planet can top them on reliability, their only weakness is they drink gasoline. Give me an electric version of the IS500 and Tesla loses big time!!
Toyota/Lexus reliability is exactly why I stay away from them, I like spending some time at the shop…

On a more serious note, it’s been said many times, don’t do this, don’t financially stress yourself on an old car that’s not all that reliable.
I’ve had 3 model s’s since 2014 and I can honestly say I’m glad I got rid of them after the warranty expired.

The risk is just not worth the reward in my opinion.

Upvote 0
It’s not a if but a when.
Yes, but “when” isn’t the answer, it’s the question. If it’s 200-300k miles then it’s not very pertinent to buying an EV just out of warranty and should be inexpensively warranted (as it is for four more years).

And it’s important to note whether we’re talking about total failure or range loss. The used doomsayers aren’t terribly helpful.

Upvote 0
OP, seems like were are somewhat similar (petro head, living in Indiana), so I thought that I would share my experience with used Teslas. I bought a 2014 P85+ and a 2015 70D about 3 years ago. And added a model Y about 8 months ago. My main commute car since has been the 2014 P85+ (about 40 miles a day), but I have also taken it on road trips to various corners of the country (including Yellowstone national park, Seattle, Toronto, etc). It is rear wheel drive as you know, but I drive it all year round (snow tires in the winter). So far, I have had windshield replaced (stone chip) for $1,400, AC compressor for $1,200, PTC heater for a few hundred (don’t remember but not much), door handle switches i replaced myself for less than $100 each, upper A arms (few hundred, not much), upgraded to MCU2 for $2,500 (cheaper now), motor replaced under warranty, battery pack replaced with a 350V version under warranty. Most of this occurred in the first year and it has been trouble free since. I love the car and will probably never sell it. I enjoy working cars since high school (rebuilt our BMW 3 years ago) and think that the model S is the easiest car to fix i have ever owned. So, I guess, my point is that even the RWD S will work in Indiana (at least in central Indy area) and I think that $40kish for a used model S is a great deal (the best deal I have ever got on a used car, imo). But then again, I also enjoyed driving and fixing BMWs (which could have been a money pit for some people). I would not hesitate buying another used Tesla Model S. In fact I seriously considered buying another P85+. It changed my life. Oh, the 2015 70D hasn’t had issues (other than upgrading to MCU2). And the Y has had zero issues so far.

Upvote 0
OP, seems like were are somewhat similar (petro head, living in Indiana), so I thought that I would share my experience with used Teslas. I bought a 2014 P85+ and a 2015 70D about 3 years ago. And added a model Y about 8 months ago. My main commute car since has been the 2014 P85+ (about 40 miles a day), but I have also taken it on road trips to various corners of the country (including Yellowstone national park, Seattle, Toronto, etc). It is rear wheel drive as you know, but I drive it all year round (snow tires in the winter). So far, I have had windshield replaced (stone chip) for $1,400, AC compressor for $1,200, PTC heater for a few hundred (don’t remember but not much), door handle switches i replaced myself for less than $100 each, upper A arms (few hundred, not much), upgraded to MCU2 for $2,500 (cheaper now), motor replaced under warranty, battery pack replaced with a 350V version under warranty. Most of this occurred in the first year and it has been trouble free since. I love the car and will probably never sell it. I enjoy working cars since high school (rebuilt our BMW 3 years ago) and think that the model S is the easiest car to fix i have ever owned. So, I guess, my point is that even the RWD S will work in Indiana (at least in central Indy area) and I think that $40kish for a used model S is a great deal (the best deal I have ever got on a used car, imo). But then again, I also enjoyed driving and fixing BMWs (which could have been a money pit for some people). I would not hesitate buying another used Tesla Model S. In fact I seriously considered buying another P85+. It changed my life. Oh, the 2015 70D hasn’t had issues (other than upgrading to MCU2). And the Y has had zero issues so far.
Great feedback from a "Local Yocal".

Upvote 0
I'd like to thank everyone who contributed to this post. I was in the OP's shoes last year and all of the information shared in this post would have been helpful to me, so im sure it will be helpful for many others in my, and the OP's position.

I do recall many people trying to talk me into a model 3, and i really tried to like that car. I testdrove one at Tesla, and even spent 24hrs with one (thanks carmax). I just dont think the M3 is attractive, and feels too much like a toy. The MS feels more like a traditional sedan, and I as the OP has stated, the MS is a sexier car. I love my S and im happy I made the decision to purchase one. I do wish i had the premium audio system, but im looking to fix that on my own. I also do wish i had the steering wheel heater, as i had that im my previous car and even used it in the warmer months, lol.

Good luck Clooney, and I hope you find your dream car.

Upvote 0
Well you Model 3 fans should be grinning now. I found a 2018 Model 3 LR AWD with some nice features and we both agreed on a price. Now its up to the banks. I will say the owner did many tasteful mods on it, ones that I would have done myself.

Fingers crossed that I can get this deal sealed this week.

1649633816838.png

Upvote 0
Looks like someone didn't do their "Due Diligence" before buying. I would have never bought used from Tesla, their prices are "Ludicrous".

Upvote 0
I'm more thrown off by the lack of a heads up display on the Model 3. Im 49years old and I need to glance down, not over to the right. I think they are really nice cars, but it just isn't me.
There are a ton of really easy to install and integrate front instrument cluster units for the Model 3. Probably the easiest thing to fix and one would never know some of them are not OEM.

Reactions: CLOONEY003@GMA
Upvote 0
Looks like someone didn't do their "Due Diligence" before buying. I would have never bought used from Tesla, their prices are "Ludicrous".
"Never bought used from Tesla" 🤷‍♂️ Really? It was "years ago" when they said they bought their car. Times were different back then.

About 3 years ago I got a 2016 MS90D as well with every option except cold weather for $50k and with 4 years 50,000 mile warranty as well as Free Unlimited Supercharging and lifetime premium connectivity subscription. Seems like a very good deal to me even 3 years ago.

This is a screenshot from 2019 of another one I was looking at just as an example:
1649635836503.png

Unfortunately for the person who posted that article you linked probably bought a higher mileage (50,000+) that only had 2 year year 100,000 mile warranty like this example from 2019 to save some money:

1649635988794.png

There were plenty of deals to be had with cars coming off lease years ago, prices dropped on each car about $1,000 per day on Tesla's website. You could have grabbed a 85D for easily less than $40k if you had a time machine:
1649636617966.png

Heck, if you went with a 70 pack you should have gotten in a Tesla Model S with AP1 for less than $30k and still received some warranty:

1649636740783.png

But all that is way off topic......Best of luck with the Model 3 and welcome to the Tesla family. 😊

p.s. https://ev-cpo.com/ is a great site for searching for Used Tesla's on the Tesla site. That is where I got the data above from and what I used to find my car in 2019

Upvote 0