TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

The Verge: Ford sued over how horrible its MyFord Touch system is

Discussion in 'Cars and Transportation' started by twinklejet, Jul 20, 2013.

1. Al Sherman

Al Sherman It's about THIS car.

Just rode in an Escape that has one. Didn't lock up or freeze but it's hard to get used to the size after the MS. It felt as though it belonged in a doll house. About the size of an index card.

2. irishstoutaz

irishstoutaz Member

Our friends have a Ford Edge that is ~six months old and have had theirs replaced already. Had the same issues being reported since they bought it and then it finally died.

3. Curt

Curt Roadster Signature #55

Of course it's low quality software - it was developed by Microsoft. What do you expect?

4. EVNow

EVNow Active Member

Ford developed the application that runs on the windows automotive OS. A dozen other OEMs use the same OS and have no complaints. Ford apparently outsourced the whole app development ... you know rest of the story.

5. igotzzoom

igotzzoom Member

My biggest gripe with MFT is the lagginess and latency. It may have a more "polished" and "sophisticated" look than my 2011 Sonata, but my car blows it into the weeds in terms of snappiness and responsiveness. I don't know if the "fade in/fade out" effect on MFT was to make it seem smoother, or to cover up how painfully slow it is. I'd rather have a sharp, immediate transition.

6. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Sounds like the Karma. I did like that Ford led the way with this more modern approach to the dash UI though. They also had the foresight to allow upgrades via USB stick and were proactive in mailing those out to owners free of charge. It would see that their heart is at least in the right place.

7. Citizen-T

Citizen-T Active Member

The wife has an Edge, and yes MyFord Touch is horrible.

I've done two major updates on it which required me downloading files onto a USB drive and then sitting in the (running) car for an hour in the driveway while it updated. I have to admit, the system is more responsive and less buggy now, but the feature set is weak and the design seems like it borrows inspiration from a Fisher Price toy.

If I could do it again, there's no way I would have paid extra for that headache.

8. twinklejet

twinklejet Member

You had to burn gas and foul up the fresh air along your driveway just to do a software update? Luckily it wasn't done in your garage...

9. igotzzoom

igotzzoom Member

When I did a nav/firmware update to my Sonata, I took it out on a 45-minute drive down a canyon road. One of the few times I've used the flappy-paddle shifters on my car. :smile:

10. Citizen-T

Citizen-T Active Member

They warn you like 20x during the update to not din it in your garage. Pretty funny. We will be getting an X to replace it ASAP.

11. AudubonB

AudubonB Mild-mannered Moderator Lord Vetinari*

Well, that's pretty wretched, but sued???

That is lame. You want to sure FoMoCo, I'll give you something to sue about.

I am reeking of diesel all over, as I just spent a horrific mid-day to evening under my F-350 replacing (successfully, finally) the primary fuel filter....which is located INSIDE!!!!!! the frame rail, and takes a 35mm socket to loosen - about 100 turns as you have zippidyzero clearance, and is directly connected to the fuel tank so you are guaranteed to splash 38 gallons of diesel all over you and your garage floor when you replace it.
    Now, that is bad engineering and that is actionable. And every other Ford owner of this vintage can attest to same.