Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Verge is claiming 100D/P100D any day now (+ Bio Weapon Defense mode)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the Verge just reads all of the idle and not so idle speculation here and puts it up. As does Yahoo, and every other so called news outlet. I think that I have read and re-read the same stuff 100x.

Kind of sick of it.

But yes, bring forth the upgrades!

So we can lament our lot in life and begin wondering what it all means.

Sorry, I've had an IPA and am putting it to ill use, it seems.

Yeah, but they claim they have sources and got a "no comment" from Tesla. Also, they only claim the 100kwh, Model X config, and bio mode. None of those things have been reported on in the past several days, while the Cnet article about the nose cone and some interior changes was rehashed by everybody else. Could be bunk, but we will know very soon, I'm sure.

At $61k and 240 miles range for the base Model S (70D), I could see that as too close to Model 3 territory. By dropping the 70, adding in the 100D, and making the 90 your new entry point for the Model S, you continue to define/separate the model S as the company's pinnacle car with max range and performance. And more forward positioned to where the technology is headed.

This then gives you room to option-up the Model 3 (perhaps as much as $60k with step features/performance). And then really push even more orders for the Model 3. And make room for the Part 2 announcement.

The 100D will have snowball effect. Timing couldn't be better.

Last edited:
Not sure they would want the 90 as the entry point this soon, maybe as we get closer to the Model 3 launch. But it seems that if they want upmarket too quickly they would lose 18-24 months of sales to people who want their Tesla now and don't want to spend north of $100k. If they did to that, I wonder what would happen to all of the people who are ordering model 70's on their website configurator.

90 as entry point is terrible idea.

70/90/100 makes sense for now. Once Model 3 sets the entry pricing, perhaps 70 becomes 75 or 80. Or they keep 70 and drop 90. But by then 100 could be 120... I don't see how they can drop 70 before the 3 is available. People want to buy a Tesla but $100K+ really only applies to very few buyers...

How they get (got?) to 100kWh is my big question. I believe they went from 85 to 90 by changing chemistry. Is the 100 a different form factor or something different structurally? If so, will they ultimately drop the 90 and bump the 70 up to say 80, leaving just 2 sizes with same (new) chemistry and form factor...or leave the 70 for the Model 3 ?

70/90/100 makes sense for now. Once Model 3 sets the entry pricing, perhaps 70 becomes 75 or 80. Or they keep 70 and drop 90. But by then 100 could be 120... I don't see how they can drop 70 before the 3 is available. People want to buy a Tesla but $100K+ really only applies to very few buyers...

This article (looks to be based off our chatter here and elsewhere) suggests 20kWh spacing, stepping to an 80 and then the 100kWh versions. But it's all speculation.

Updates To Tesla Model S Expected This Week - Gas 2

LAWTQ said:
90 as entry point is terrible idea. I don't get this trend of so many wanting Teslas to be more expensive in one way or another

I don't think any of us want Tesla to raise pricing. I sure don't. But from a model logic standpoint, I can understand this speculation we're swirling here. What we refer to as "Line Logic." But to your point, perhaps it won't be the 90 as the entry, but maybe an 80kWh instead.

How they get (got?) to 100kWh is my big question. I believe they went from 85 to 90 by changing chemistry. Is the 100 a different form factor or something different structurally? If so, will they ultimately drop the 90 and bump the 70 up to say 80, leaving just 2 sizes with same (new) chemistry and form factor...or leave the 70 for the Model 3 ?
Probably changes to the cells...anode, cathode, electrolyte. I wouldn't expect any structural or form factor changes until Gigafactory starts churning out batteries.

Reactions: SCW-Greg

Correct, Elon said the 90 was a "baby step" in improved chemistry, alluding to the fact that this would be normal, and has always stated that battery chemistry has historically improved about 7-9% per year. I can't imagine Tesla modifying the body to accommodate a different battery configuration. That would require a ton of longer term (road) testing/crash testing, etc. I've got to think a jump to 100 is via improved chemistry.