Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The view from one week in.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I placed my order for a Model 3 Dual Motor Long Range in Midnight Silver with white interior and both software packages on 3/4/19. The Charlotte showroom called to say they found my car just three days later and I picked it up the following day, 3/8/19. I felt so fortunate after hearing so many stories about people waiting years for theirs.

Since I hadn't had a test ride I had the option to return the car for a full refund anytime within seven days of delivery. Well, about thirty seconds after pulling out of the showroom lot I said to my wife "Seven days is nonsense. I can tell you right now they'd have to shoot me to get this car back!" So, it's been eight days since delivery now and, with the exception of a few minor software glitches that will probably be resolved with over-the-air updates in time, the car has behaved flawlessly. Moreover, this is easily the best car I've ever owned. I say that from the perspective of a 74 year old guy who got his first car, a 1959 Ford Fairlane, in 1966. It's the best car I've ever owned because it's as fast my 2011 Corvette was from 0-60, handles as well as my 2000 Porsche Boxster S did, and is as comfortable and roomy as my 1996 BMW M3 was. In my opinion there is no way to beat that combo. On top of that, of course, the smoothness, driving ease and advanced technologies at play easily eclipse all of the other three cars.

So, what would I like to change? Just one thing really. When I ordered the car with a white interior I didn't know it would have a white dash instead of wood. Frankly, I wasn't crazy about the wood I'd seen in photos online, but I thought it would be good to soften up the otherwise stark interior. Since taking delivery I've been searching for a way to convert the white dash to wood. My latest attempt was to cut a piece of peel-and-stick walnut veneer in the shape of the white portion of the dash, leaving 1/4" of white border. It looks great on my workbench, but when I looked for a suitable finish for the wood I couldn't find any that promised to stand up to extreme temperatures and direct sunlight it would be subject to in the car. I also fear the possibility that the adhesive might soften up and release in the heat and leave a mess behind that I can't clean up. So, I abandoned the idea.

I've been looking online for a real wood covering for the dash without success. There are lots of carbon fiber wraps and even a solid carbon fiber cap, but no real wood alternatives. I'd be forever grateful for any suggestions that would lead to any type of real wood trim to accent the dash while preserving the "factory" look. It wouldn't have to hide the white area. In fact I like the white. I just want to add some wood regardless of whether it completely covers the white or sits next to or close to it. Many thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

I'd suggest posting a dash swap somewhere in the WTB or tesla parts for sale forum.
I've seen quite a few posts offering to do dash swaps of their wood finish for the white one.
Not exactly sure how easy/simple it is but I do know the dash is completely removable and a few people have swapped them without the help of any Tesla service center.

Reactions: zhu- and Magnets!
I placed my order for a Model 3 Dual Motor Long Range in Midnight Silver with white interior and both software packages on 3/4/19. The Charlotte showroom called to say they found my car just three days later and I picked it up the following day, 3/8/19. I felt so fortunate after hearing so many stories about people waiting years for theirs.

Since I hadn't had a test ride I had the option to return the car for a full refund anytime within seven days of delivery. Well, about thirty seconds after pulling out of the showroom lot I said to my wife "Seven days is nonsense. I can tell you right now they'd have to shoot me to get this car back!" So, it's been eight days since delivery now and, with the exception of a few minor software glitches that will probably be resolved with over-the-air updates in time, the car has behaved flawlessly. Moreover, this is easily the best car I've ever owned. I say that from the perspective of a 74 year old guy who got his first car, a 1959 Ford Fairlane, in 1966. It's the best car I've ever owned because it's as fast my 2011 Corvette was from 0-60, handles as well as my 2000 Porsche Boxster S did, and is as comfortable and roomy as my 1996 BMW M3 was. In my opinion there is no way to beat that combo. On top of that, of course, the smoothness, driving ease and advanced technologies at play easily eclipse all of the other three cars.

So, what would I like to change? Just one thing really. When I ordered the car with a white interior I didn't know it would have a white dash instead of wood. Frankly, I wasn't crazy about the wood I'd seen in photos online, but I thought it would be good to soften up the otherwise stark interior. Since taking delivery I've been searching for a way to convert the white dash to wood. My latest attempt was to cut a piece of peel-and-stick walnut veneer in the shape of the white portion of the dash, leaving 1/4" of white border. It looks great on my workbench, but when I looked for a suitable finish for the wood I couldn't find any that promised to stand up to extreme temperatures and direct sunlight it would be subject to in the car. I also fear the possibility that the adhesive might soften up and release in the heat and leave a mess behind that I can't clean up. So, I abandoned the idea.

I've been looking online for a real wood covering for the dash without success. There are lots of carbon fiber wraps and even a solid carbon fiber cap, but no real wood alternatives. I'd be forever grateful for any suggestions that would lead to any type of real wood trim to accent the dash while preserving the "factory" look. It wouldn't have to hide the white area. In fact I like the white. I just want to add some wood regardless of whether it completely covers the white or sits next to or close to it. Many thanks in advance for any help you can give me.
Someone will swap with you or you can easily get it wrapped.

Here’s the diagram and part # for the wood dash panel. You can get a price from TESLA but apparently it’s reasonable at under $200 for the complete panel. Easy pop off pop in replacement.

Link and part #:

https://epc.teslamotors.com/#/systemGroups/47291

M3, IP, LHD, DECOR ASY, WOOD 1091225-00-F

If TESLA won’t sell you one you can check out this vendor. They sell white, carbon fibre and alcantara dash replacements. They remove the wood inserts to do this. Not sure what they do with wood. Worth giving Mark there a call (call is better than email)

Model 3 Dashboards - Carbon Fiber, Alcantara, Piano Black, White - From $249

You could also find someone to swap with. Zero cost there. Here’s a couple how to remove and install video:

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: Runt8 and brkaus
Here’s the diagram and part # for the wood dash panel. You can get a price from TESLA but apparently it’s reasonable at under $200 for the complete panel. Easy pop off pop in replacement.

Link and part #:

https://epc.teslamotors.com/#/systemGroups/47291

M3, IP, LHD, DECOR ASY, WOOD 1091225-00-F

If TESLA won’t sell you one you can check out this vendor. They sell white, carbon fibre and alcantara dash replacements. They remove the wood inserts to do this. Not sure what they do with wood. Worth giving Mark there a call (call is better than email)

Model 3 Dashboards - Carbon Fiber, Alcantara, Piano Black, White - From $249

You could also find someone to swap with. Zero cost there. Here’s a couple how to remove and install video:

Very helpful. Thanks.