TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

The Volkswagen I.D. Is The Electric Future Of Compact Cars With A 373 Mile Range

Discussion in 'Electric Vehicles' started by dgindio, Sep 28, 2016.

1. dgindio

dgindio dgindio

Attached Files:

2. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

I certainly hope VW makes that EV. But right now it is a just a concept that only exists as graphics and is at least 4 years away from production if everything goes perfectly.

3. gavine

gavine Petrol Head turned EV Enthusiast

Looks like a modern Scirocco. I like it.

• Like x 1
  4. Weezer Fan

Weezer Fan Member

Screw VW. Lied to everyperson who bought diesel. They weren't negligent, they were deceitful. Will NEVER buy one of their products.

• Like x 7
  5. TexasEV

TexasEV Active Member

Vaporware until proven otherwise. Also know that European car companies report EV mileage using a different standard than EPA range and it's more of a fantasy than Tesla's "ideal miles" was.

6. SageBrush

SageBrush Active Member

Beauty. I wonder if they stole a picture of the Tesla 'Y'

7. EV-lutioin

EV-lutioin Member

Ha, ha, ha Volkswagen is smokin' some good weed.

8. AndreN

AndreN Member

Exactly. 373 miles seems to convert to a round 600km. Probably closer to 500 in reality. Maybe it'll go 300 miles.

9. Troy

Troy Member

The Model S P100D has 613 km NEDC rated range (source) and 315 miles EPA rated range (source). Based on that, the Volkswagen ID with 600 km NEDC rated range should have 600*315/613= 308 miles EPA rated range. The Jalopnik article is misleading.

• Like x 1
  10. Zoomit

Zoomit Part 3 Awaiter

I noticed in this video at 0:45 that the I.D. concept car had Hankook tires, the same brand as has been rumored to be available on the Model 3.

11. McRat

McRat Active Member

VW used a famous designer with a proven track history to get the styling.

e207e6e2-ffbc-4912-a5bd-4948f2a51434.jpg._CB285634291_.jpg

12. BluestarE3

BluestarE3 Active Member

While I find the overall shape of the car pleasing, it looks albino. Maybe if they showed it in a different color...

13. Alfred

Alfred Member

An informative interview about VW plans with Christian Senger (manager e-mobility) - in German: electrive.net » „Wir müssen in den Erstwagenmarkt.“ – Teil I des Paris-Interviews mit Christian Senger, Leiter der Baureihe e-Mobility bei Volkswagen.

He is quite adamant that a car, possibly not too far off what is shown below, with ranges up to 600 km (NEDC), will be launched 2020. The model as shown below serves to test user reactions. He stated that first reactions are very positive and chances are that they can continue development along that line.
    [​IMG]

14. deonb

deonb Active Member

That's nothing. I have a PowerPoint car that can go 600 miles and recharge in 3 minutes!

• Like x 3
    • Funny x 1
  15. WannabeOwner

WannabeOwner Member

:D

16. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Wow, more EV happy talk from the company that deliberately cheated emissions testing with millions of their cars. VW should spend less time talking about what they are going to do 4 years from now and more time doing something now, because they are falling farther and farther behind Tesla with every passing year.

17. SageBrush

SageBrush Active Member

Yep.

How do you say "blah, blah, blah" in German ?

• Funny x 3
    • Like x 1
  18. Laserbrain

Laserbrain Member

Simply drop the "h": "Bla, bla, bla".

I think the ID will be a great car - except that it will be two years too late on the market.

The European car manufacturers should really try to get their new electric cars by 2018 into the market, because this will be the year the new 300 kW CCS charging network should be working on several european transport/travel corridors.

Mercedes Benz seems to be a little bit quicker, because their Mercedes EQ is supposed to hit the market in 2018:

They have just started a couple days ago to build a battery plant. Charging will be 300 kW CCS of course and (a lot slower, I guess) induction - the latter could be very sexy I think.

At least in one market segment VW seems so be ahead of the competition; their E-Crafter will hit the market in 2017:

• Funny x 1