Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Volkswagen I.D. Is The Electric Future Of Compact Cars With A 373 Mile Range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ummm...that's the post I was referring to when I said "Maybe you can provide a link that proves your point beyond showing one car model that doesn't fit the 30% figure."
Have you actually read it? :rolleyes: My post has a link saying that the Model 3 has a WLTP range of 544km (338 miles), which is only about 10% more than the EPA range of 310 miles. In fact, the difference is even smaller according to Tesla's new European configuration page, which gives the WLTP range as "530+ km", which is about 329 miles or about 6% more than the EPA range.

The X was delayed due to well documented design issues and the 3 of course had to go through 'production hell', neither of which would have ever been issues at an established car company anywhere near the magnitude experienced by Tesla.

None of the established companies would even attempt to make an 'X' or a '3' with 320 mile range for $50K. So the question of being delayed does not even arise because these dinosaurs are friggin incapable of making an 'X' or a '3' even today, 5 years after Tesla already showed them how to make one.

To start with, these guys need to know how to design and manufacture one, to even get into 'design issues' and 'production hell'.

No legacy car company has the manufacturing capability or technical know how today to make 400k EV cars/year with of 250+ miles range.

Announced in 2016, VW may make one with half the range of what they said they would 5 years later. That is shameful.

So don't try to lecture us here that those ICE legacy makers won't have a production hell.

Reactions: fmonera and skitown
None of the established companies would even attempt to make an 'X' or a '3' with 320 mile range for $50K. So the question of being delayed does not even arise because these dinosaurs are friggin incapable of making an 'X' or a '3' even today, 5 years after Tesla already showed them how to make one.
Tesla hasn't made any $50k cars until a little over 1 year ago.
To start with, these guys need to know how to design and manufacture one, to even get into 'design issues' and 'production hell'.

No legacy car company has the manufacturing capability or technical know how today to make 400k EV cars/year with of 250+ miles range.
VW makes over 10 million cars/year. Why would they not be able to make 400k EVs, especially given that EVs are supposed to be much simpler than ICE vehicles? They may or may not have the battery technology (we'll see), but claiming that Tesla has some manufacturing capability that they don't seems far fetched.
Announced in 2016, VW may make one with half the range of what they said they would 5 years later. That is shameful.
And that assumption is based on what exactly? In the recent press event they said that the higher-tier versions of the ID would have a range of over 500 km, which is in line with the longest-range version of the Model 3.

Tesla hasn't made any $50k cars until a little over 1 year ago.
And how many EVs have VW (which makes a million ICE cars a year) churned out so far? It is easy right?

Anyone can hand wave and say they can do this and that. Proof is in making one. All we have today is BMW and VW pathetic and laughable attempts at i3 and eGolf - all range crippled city cars, that very few want to buy.

I would rather see a company struggle and make a great EV with a ton of range, than make clown cars.

Reactions: Evoforce
Let’s move beyond debating WLTP. It’s not obsolete and yields about 10% more range than EPA.

Explainer: What is WLTP and why should you care?

Thanks for that! It looks like the CleanTechnica article I posted was mixed up between the WLTP procedures and the old European test procedures. In any case, it will be interesting to see how many miles the VW ID can actually achieve. If it really does match the LR Model 3 I'll be impressed.

You mean, everybody and their brother can throw stones at Tesla when they miss their self-imposed deadlines but it's OK if VW misses their self-imposed deadline of 2020 and we should just shut up and wait longer?

Indeed.

While I admit your random insertion of whataboutism into this discussion might be considered Presidential these days, that doesn't change its fundamental logic, based on the very juvenile approach of justifying bad behavior with bad behavior. If you believe its shitty for people to make up dirt on Tesla (and I do) why do you feel compelled to make up dirt on other manufacturers? Seriously, there's plenty of mud to throw at VW already.

I don't know why you put "established" car companies on a pedestal above Tesla. Look at the late to market Jaguar iPace. They announced the first production vehicles rolling off the assembly line back in November 2017 and in March 2018 claimed the production line was going smoothly, that they were not in "production hell". And yet, as of the beginning of December 2018, they had produced a total of only 4,663 iPace for the entire year to date! Tesla makes that many Model 3's in about 8 days!

First, you and I both know I'm not putting other companies on a pedestal, so thanks for that. Second Jaguar is a niche automaker that produces like 30-40k cars a year total. That is what they're sized to produce. So no--they did not go through production hell with the ipace, specifically because they did not put themselves into a position to do so like Tesla did trying to massively increase production with the Model 3. That does not make them better, that only means Jaguar only bit off what they could chew with the ipace. What's going to blow your mind is that's not a slight on Tesla. That's just reality.

None of the established companies would even attempt to make an 'X' or a '3' with 320 mile range for $50K.

So don't try to lecture us here that those ICE legacy makers won't have a production hell.

Sure.

So, beyond your hopes and dreams, what actual evidence or information do you have to suggest that ANY of the high volume OEMs (Ford, GM, VW, MB, Toyota, Nissan, etc.) would have anywhere near the magnitude of "production hell" as Tesla did getting the Model 3 line up and running. All of those other manufacturers already have well established processes to turn on new production lines for hundreds of thousands of units. All of those other manufacturers already have well established processes to turn on high volume supply chains. All of those other manufacturers already have well established processes for developing new technology which will ensure that the only major new thing--batteries--maintains acceptable development progress.

That you wish to ignore the fact that everyone else already knows how to do high volume doesn't make it any less true.

And how many EVs have VW (which makes a million ICE cars a year) churned out so far? It is easy right?

There's one thing all of those manufacturers do WAY better than Tesla, and that's to care about profit. Don't conflate their limited to-date EV products with their ability to figure out EV technology. When a car company can make more money on EV than ICE, you can absolutely bet they're going to put their ducks in the EV basket, and you can absolutely bet that they're going to succeed in making a profitable product.

When a car company can make more money on EV than ICE, you can absolutely bet they're going to put their ducks in the EV basket, and you can absolutely bet that they're going to succeed in making a profitable product.

Thank you. You are emphasizing my point that, as of today, the ICE giants have no clue on how to make EVs in volume that everyone aspires to own, and still make profit. One day after Tesla shows them how, they will figure it out.

If you believe its shitty for people to make up dirt on Tesla (and I do) why do you feel compelled to make up dirt on other manufacturers? Seriously, there's plenty of mud to throw at VW already.

Ummm...I didn't make up any dirt on VW...

Jaguar is a niche automaker that produces like 30-40k cars a year total. That is what they're sized to produce. So no--they did not go through production hell with the ipace, specifically because they did not put themselves into a position to do so like Tesla did trying to massively increase production with the Model 3. That does not make them better, that only means Jaguar only bit off what they could chew with the ipace. What's going to blow your mind is that's not a slight on Tesla. That's just reality.

Except its not reality. Jaguar has been averaging about 150K cars/year the last couple of years. And it's not just Jaguar, it's Jaguar/Land Rover which about triples that total.

Tesla did an amazing thing ramping from around 100K cars/year in 2017 to 245,000 in 2018. Did you even look at how slow the Jaguar iPace ramp was in the link I posted? There are pretty charts and graphs.

When a car company can make more money on EV than ICE, you can absolutely bet they're going to put their ducks in the EV basket, and you can absolutely bet that they're going to succeed in making a profitable product.

As a long-time investor, I know you can bet on anything you want. Believing that it's a good bet doesn't necessarily make it a good bet. I sincerely hope VW is sincere about making EV's that are not clown cars. And I hope they succeed wildly. The market is HUGE. This will not hurt Tesla. I predict that Tesla does more damage to VW's ICE car sales than VW does to Tesla's EV sales over the next five years. Personally, I think both will make a lot of money on EV's, the biggest question is when will VW's EV sales be profitable. Tesla is already there.

Thank you. You are emphasizing my point that, as of today, the ICE giants have no clue on how to make EVs in volume that everyone aspires to own, and still make profit. One day after Tesla shows them how, they will figure it out.

LOL!

To recap:
electro--"Nobody but Tesla has the manufacturing or technical know how to mass produce EVs" <no mention of profitability>
bxr--"That's not the case, they have both the manufacturing and technical know how. Manufacturers are not in it yet because they don't think they can mass produce and make a profit"
electro--"HA HA HA, bxr agrees with me that its about profitability"

So who's agreeing with who again? ;)

Did you even look at how slow the Jaguar iPace ramp was in the link I posted? There are pretty charts and graphs.

They sure are.

So, the actual point, had you considered it, was that Jaguar had no intention of building hundreds of thousands of ipaces, so its silly to say "Look how dumb they are, they took months just to ramp up to 5k units! Tesla does that in their sleep!". For all we know Jaguar exactly hit their ramp up and full production rates. So, back to the point, as an established car company who has turned on new models on new production lines and who has data on sales predictions, they would have set achievable design and production goals such that they would never approach issues like Tesla saw with the X or 3.

Putting all this in a different frame, your logic is analogous to: "Tesla is a crappy car company--they took months to ramp up their model S and Model X and STILL can't produce hundreds of thousands of units on those lines!"

LOL!

So, the actual point, had you considered it, was that Jaguar had no intention of building hundreds of thousands of ipaces, so its silly to say "Look how dumb they are, they took months just to ramp up to 5k units! Tesla does that in their sleep!". For all we know Jaguar exactly hit their ramp up and full production rates.

For all we know Jaguar exactly hit their ramp up and full production rates?

Uh, no. The facts show otherwise.

As to planned production, Jaguar stated 20-30,000 per year. Last year they didn't even hit half of that. And you act like somehow Tesla is alone in their struggles (when they are actually performing better than every other automaker). Your statements are impossible to reconcile with the facts.

The Tesla bears claimed the Jaguar iPace was going to be the "Tesla killer". How can that be with only 6,000 units produced worldwide?

Why are you so anti-Tesla? Tesla is showing the world how to build PROFITABLE electric cars that people actually want.

Why are you so anti-Tesla? Tesla is showing the world how to build PROFITABLE electric cars that people actually want.

Why is it that whenever someone wants to have a conversation on a level playing field, they're dismissed as anti-such-and-such?

I'm very pro Tesla. I bought my first one in 2013, and my second one a few months ago. I make near-weekly income on the shorts by selling puts.

What I am not willing to do is pretend every other car manufacturer is incompetent, based on manipulated facts.

Reactions: Sean Wagner

Who makes 400k EV cars/year with of 250+ miles range?

Dzm

Some may recall the rear seat comfort "controversy" I kicked off. I did promise to keep my eye on this.

Stills from a VW sourced video [interesting to say the least].

The battery's packaging looks to me like a belabored optimization, different in design but not in spirit to BMW's choice of carbon fiber for parts of the i3.

We'll see. Price and dealer support will ultimately determine the car's success.

Attachments

• VW Golf Cutaway 900X.jpg
    VW Golf Cutaway 900X.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 53
  • VW ID NEO Cutaway 900X.jpg
    VW ID NEO Cutaway 900X.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 37