Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Volt is dead, long live the Volt!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As my previous car was a 2nd gen Volt, I'm kind of bummed by this news.

It's a very good car that allows you to do the vast majority of your driving fully electric, and one some might consider who wouldn't consider a full EV-until after they owned the Volt for a while and craved more!

It would probably get annhilated by the $35k SR Model 3 next year. It's just not nearly as much car for the same price.

I get that it hasn't been selling well. I'm not a fan of PHEVs. Still I thought it was a nice looking car with a decent amount of interior space and preferred the look of it to the Bolt many times over.

I was sorry to see today's GM announcement on factory closings and retiring some car models. One of the locations isn't far from my home town and I know shutting down the plant will affect many families there and the nearby communities. Bad news for many workers and their families at the holiday time.

• Love
Reactions: outdoors
Article mentions wondering who to blame, and I have to wonder if the answer isn’t Tesla.

GM’s issues seem to be the precursor of what all ICE makers will face as EVs take over.

Yes this is a PHEV, but it is just a part of what GM is shedding in an attempt to refocus away fron areas Tesla is dominanting.

Eventually Tesla will come for the SUV and Pickup markets as well, and plant closings of companies “long on ICE” will increase... and they will run out of PHEVs to shed and have to start shedding their main product lines as well...

Reactions: GSP
The Volt, like the EV1 before it, never had a good business case. It was born to win a bail-out and petered along for a while to satisfy CARB states. Now that PHEV credits have been diluted by CARB it has no good (internal to GM) arguments to continue. The Volt has always been the bastard child of GM. Any *EV GM makes carries the burden of its parentage in the sense that customers who are not GM fans are disinclined to purchase from them and GM fans have organic dementia from their years of embracing marketing exhaust.

There is a silver lining though: I don't have to listen any more to the fools who insist the Volt is profitable.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: jsmay311
I have a 2013 Volt. Probably the most reliable car I have ever owned. Hardly use gas, so the engine must be in pristine shape. Two oil changes have been the only maintenance costs, plus tires. No range loss that I can tell. Eventually I bought a Tesla Model S, and so my wife took the Volt. Then my daughter got her license, and now she drives the Volt. I have since sold the Tesla, but will most likely keep the Volt forever. I plan to get a 3 someday, which I hope will be another forever car.

Article mentions wondering who to blame, and I have to wonder if the answer isn’t Tesla.

GM’s issues seem to be the precursor of what all ICE makers will face as EVs take over.

Yes this is a PHEV, but it is just a part of what GM is shedding in an attempt to refocus away fron areas Tesla is dominanting.

Eventually Tesla will come for the SUV and Pickup markets as well, and plant closings of companies “long on ICE” will increase... and they will run out of PHEVs to shed and have to start shedding their main product lines as well...

I'm sorry but when automakers decided to go with compliance vehicles and not even do much to market them or work on something that made more sense from the ground up, I don't fault Tesla for that. Heck the Roadster has been out there for quite some time and proved how exciting an EV could be. Elon even went so far to share Tesla patents and offered up the Superchargers if they were willing to pay for their share. No takers. So they are all getting caught with their pants down, some more than others. It wasn't that many months ago when even the major overseas manufacturers were saying no way to EVs. Couldn't hide from the Model 3s blow out success and the fact that yes even the average family who has only owned cars in the $20-40K range would buy a Model 3 at a higher price because it was so damn appealing, fun to drive and totally EV so non-polluting.

While I don't have much if any sympathy for these manufacturers, I do for the people they employ and the communities that will be affected. My dad spent the vast majority of his working career as a machinist for GM. Got a raw deal too after he retired and lost a lot in benefits. Spent many nights doing overtime work and holidays (triple pay) away from us so he could do his best to support us. I only wish he had been around to tour the Tesla plant with us when we bought our MS and took our tour. Would have loved to have given him a ride in either of our cars. I remember when I was a kid at home him commenting on how he was sure they had the technology to make more gas efficient car models that could have competed with the new Japanese models that were starting to infiltrate American driveways and garages. Was sure they were helping to support the oil companies. So the Japanese guys came in and the American manufacturers lost out to them in big numbers. European car manufacturers managed to get a good foothold in the American market as well. Kind of like history repeating itself again with EVs although at least Tesla is an American company, employing people here this time.