Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Wait is Worth It

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

DeckardsGirl

Deckard my Model 3 owns me
Jan 20, 2018
Austin
It’s difficult to wait for the model 3 and I know many may want to give up. I was one of the lucky ones in that my brother, a current model S owner stood in line for me in California the first day and it was delivered to Texas. So that was April 2016 to January 2018. I know many are having to wait much longer and are frustrated. I hope you don’t give up and give it more time because good things come to those who wait! I share some of my thoughts even tho much has already been written about the model 3. This isn’t a technical overview. It’s a feeling overview!

I had never driven a Tesla and it was really amazing day one. The first thing I noticed in Deckard (yes I named him Deckard) was how smooth he drives, how quiet he was and how awesome the glass roof is especially if you lay back in the fully reclining seats or sit in the back. TACC and regenerative braking makes driving a dream. I no longer have to worry about the stop and go in crazy traffic - Deckard does it for me. Taking off when you press the accelerator is a blast (yes like a rocket ship). I was very happy to find the automated parallel parking since I as a female human can’t seem to accomplish the feat but Deckard handles it like a pro. Everyone comments on how sporty it looks and I have had young and older people on the car and they all are blown away. The only thing I have not mastered is auto steer -I still find it a little scary but my brother said it will become easier with time. You have to keep your hands on the wheel and pay attention when using auto steer. Oh wait isn’t that what I should be doing when I normally drive already ;) Charging is easy tho I am having to charge on a 110 outlet since I have a carport and need to get a some special electrical work done.

The interior is minimalistic and I loved that but there is plenty of storage, cup holders, and places to plug in all your mobile devices. After a few days of using using the screen I felt at ease with it. The seats are extremely comfortable and the overall size of a model 3 feels just right (as Goldilocks would say)! The trunk is huge and the frunk is cute. The premium package sound system is phenomenal. I had my first software update within a few weeks of buying the car and i just picked what time to have it applied and it worked like a charm. There are a thousand other feeling things to say but i really want to say is - THIS CAR IS AWESOME!

I also believe for those of you that are patient - it will be better. The early deliveries have a few issues but by the time you get your hopefully they are worked out. Mine were little things like some marking in the dashboard of the car (many have said they look like something was put on the dash and the car was left in the sun) or some looseness in the material on the interior of the A pillar. I wish for an easier way to switch my music but all of these are small.

Just think about playing some scifi music and gliding through the city and then out across the highway and through the winding roads in your cool electric Model 3 for the the first time. You will feel it was worth every day of the wait and every dollar spent!

That is an awesome write up. I hear the same from many youtube vids and read similar threads on line. My favorite thing about the model 3 is how it has kept the lines from the original roadster. If you look at the front of both cars, you can see the heritage is still there. Best of luck with it and look forward to more post. Now, get a camera, start your own youtube channel and let the people know.

mod note: some posts moved to snippiness. One ad hominem attack, and others because they quoted it.
Fair enough. I shouldn’t have quoted the original.

Back to @DeckardsGirl, I completely concur with the wait was worth it. Thanks for posting this personal account. This is my wife’s first Tesla; although we had an X reserved for an inordinate amount of time, it just didn’t work for her. She was reticent of the 3, coming from hilander hybrid SUV, though she absolutely loves “Ruby”: everything from the smaller footprint and nimbleness of the 3, to the heated seats (wow, they can get hot), preconditioning, etc and that she has less impact.

I wasn’t seriously thinking of another 3, though I’m in the situation where we’re shopping for first car for one of my children. I’m very proud of her when she says she wants to start, as she means to continue, her driving life with sustainable, clean, energy however she can. We’re currently looking at few year old used Leaf SL or eGolf SEL, though if the SR 3 were available now, I’d stretch things to get her in base 3 soonest. They’re wonderful, and seemingly incredibly safe, cars.

That is an awesome write up. I hear the same from many youtube vids and read similar threads on line. My favorite thing about the model 3 is how it has kept the lines from the original roadster. If you look at the front of both cars, you can see the heritage is still there. Best of luck with it and look forward to more post. Now, get a camera, start your own youtube channel and let the people know.
YES! I noticed this too! Never saw that hint-of-Roadster in the pictures, but the day I picked up my 3 (last week), I noticed it. Love it.

• Helpful
Reactions: Sandiegodoug

Thanks - Not sure if I would do very well creating YouTube videos but I bet lot more of them will show us as more get their Model 3’s!

It’s difficult to wait for the model 3 and I know many may want to give up. I was one of the lucky ones in that my brother, a current model S owner stood in line for me in California the first day and it was delivered to Texas. So that was April 2016 to January 2018. I know many are having to wait much longer and are frustrated. I hope you don’t give up and give it more time because good things come to those who wait! I share some of my thoughts even tho much has already been written about the model 3. This isn’t a technical overview. It’s a feeling overview!

I had never driven a Tesla and it was really amazing day one. The first thing I noticed in Deckard (yes I named him Deckard) was how smooth he drives, how quiet he was and how awesome the glass roof is especially if you lay back in the fully reclining seats or sit in the back. TACC and regenerative braking makes driving a dream. I no longer have to worry about the stop and go in crazy traffic - Deckard does it for me. Taking off when you press the accelerator is a blast (yes like a rocket ship). I was very happy to find the automated parallel parking since I as a female human can’t seem to accomplish the feat but Deckard handles it like a pro. Everyone comments on how sporty it looks and I have had young and older people on the car and they all are blown away. The only thing I have not mastered is auto steer -I still find it a little scary but my brother said it will become easier with time. You have to keep your hands on the wheel and pay attention when using auto steer. Oh wait isn’t that what I should be doing when I normally drive already ;) Charging is easy tho I am having to charge on a 110 outlet since I have a carport and need to get a some special electrical work done.

The interior is minimalistic and I loved that but there is plenty of storage, cup holders, and places to plug in all your mobile devices. After a few days of using using the screen I felt at ease with it. The seats are extremely comfortable and the overall size of a model 3 feels just right (as Goldilocks would say)! The trunk is huge and the frunk is cute. The premium package sound system is phenomenal. I had my first software update within a few weeks of buying the car and i just picked what time to have it applied and it worked like a charm. There are a thousand other feeling things to say but i really want to say is - THIS CAR IS AWESOME!

I also believe for those of you that are patient - it will be better. The early deliveries have a few issues but by the time you get your hopefully they are worked out. Mine were little things like some marking in the dashboard of the car (many have said they look like something was put on the dash and the car was left in the sun) or some looseness in the material on the interior of the A pillar. I wish for an easier way to switch my music but all of these are small.

Just think about playing some scifi music and gliding through the city and then out across the highway and through the winding roads in your cool electric Model 3 for the the first time. You will feel it was worth every day of the wait and every dollar spent!

What has your real-world charging been like on a 110 V outlet?

What has your real-world charging been like on a 110 V outlet?

Well it’s slow..but I drive under 40 miles per day during the week and it fully charges overnight. On weekends I drive more and it can take all weekend to charge. Basically it’s plugged in all the time when I am home. Also of note I am having to use an extension cord and that can reduce the charge rate and speed. Looking forward to having a fast charger installed! Deckard needs more juice!

• Informative
Reactions: T-Will
Well it’s slow..but I drive under 40 miles per day during the week and it fully charges overnight. On weekends I drive more and it can take all weekend to charge. Basically it’s plugged in all the time when I am home. Also of note I am having to use an extension cord and that can reduce the charge rate and speed. Looking forward to having a fast charger installed! Deckard needs more juice!

Unleash Deckard! :) I have run into some issues getting a 240 V receptacle installed, so it seems Evie will have to sip through a110 V outlet for now. Also, when visiting the out-of-town in-laws. With a bit of planning ahead and probably occasional Supercharging on trips I believe we'll be just fine. Have you run any cost-savings calculations vs. gas yet? Sorry, I'm a numbers guy...

Unleash Deckard! :) I have run into some issues getting a 240 V receptacle installed, so it seems Evie will have to sip through a110 V outlet for now. Also, when visiting the out-of-town in-laws. With a bit of planning ahead and probably occasional Supercharging on trips I believe we'll be just fine. Have you run any cost-savings calculations vs. gas yet? Sorry, I'm a numbers guy...

I think charging costs about $25 per month for past two months. I have had my model 3 since January - have a low VIN number so have a few months of information. That’s a lot cheaper than gas since I had a Mini Cooper and spent approx $80-100 per month on gas. I also have solar so that helps as well. Unless you drive a lot I think you can survive with 110v. Just try not to use extension cords that can really reduce it at times. Hope that helps