Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The way Tesla does software updates seems odd to me

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I received an email from Tesla about the, now available, update to bring Model 3 LR AWD from 4.4 sec 0-60 to 3.9. Yay, I guess.

You'll need to have 2019.40.2 before the update can be installed. OK, I get all that HOWEVER...

Log into your Tesla Account and select Upgrades to purchase. You can now also purchase upgrades from the Tesla app — download version 3.10.3 to access the Upgrades menu.

Does this signal updates are now a chargeable item?

Just checked. They want $2,000 for it.

• Funny
Reactions: MattUNI
I received an email from Tesla about the, now available, update to bring Model 3 LR AWD from 4.4 sec 0-60 to 3.9. Yay, I guess.

You'll need to have 2019.40.2 before the update can be installed. OK, I get all that HOWEVER...

Log into your Tesla Account and select Upgrades to purchase. You can now also purchase upgrades from the Tesla app — download version 3.10.3 to access the Upgrades menu.

Does this signal updates are now a chargeable item?

Just checked. They want $2,000 for it.

Upgrades are chargeable, software updates are not.

As a new owner, i find the way Tesla does software updates odd. My new Model 3 is on 2019.32.2.2. Looking at the firmware update table, i am missing TON of stuff. I really wish they did this like the iPhone where if i want to update, i can.

It's not that simple for Tesla. Some software versions are not compatible with some cars because some features won't work on all hardware. For example, FSD features don't work on AP1 cars or cars that have not purchased the FSD option. Also, Tesla likes to roll out software updates gradually in order to catch any bugs before too many cars are affected by them.

Reactions: mswlogo

It's not that simple for Tesla. Some software versions are not compatible with some cars because some features won't work on all hardware. For example, FSD features don't work on AP1 cars or cars that have not purchased the FSD option. Also, Tesla likes to roll out software updates gradually in order to catch any bugs before too many cars are affected by them.

Isn't this technically a software update? Why would they not charge for the previous 5% increase in power but charge for it this time? Doesn't make much sense although I get it. They just have set a precedent in the past that's now changing.

Isn't this technically a software update? Why would they not charge for the previous 5% increase in power but charge for it this time? Doesn't make much sense although I get it. They just have set a precedent in the past that's now changing.

They have done stuff like this before. Part of it is all Marketing. Friends of Tesla owners talk. They tell non Tesla friends my car just got free update that makes it go faster. A month later they tell there friends. My car now goes insanely faster for $2000.

Why didn’t they include this boost when we all bought the cars. Because they got more free advertising and more money doing what they did.

Be interesting what the order page looks like in a few weeks.

It’s insane how much power Tesla has over our wallets. :)

I suppose...let's hope they don't make this a habit.

It is definitely how Tesla is going to work in the future. And I think it is great and a brilliant strategy.

The other option is buying a new car to get new features and performance. That is how the legacy car makers work. They make minor updates year to year and at some point your decide you want all those new things and buy a new car. Still has the same motor and transmission. But now it has an 8 speed transmission instead of a 6 speed. And gets 0.1 sec faster 0-60 and 2% better gas mileage. And comes with new taillights and a new shade of blue paint.

Making upgrades order-able online is just another way Tesla is better.