TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

The way to open Roadster trunk by Force

Discussion in 'Roadster 2008-2012' started by xiaoteshushu, Mar 27, 2020.

1. xiaoteshushu

xiaoteshushu Member

Hello everyone ~ Today I can’t open the rear trunk by the button or key-fob. I found the way to open the rear trunk by force but not hurt the car .

I write down my experience to help other deal the same problem.

First , you need remove the wheel and its cover ; Hope you did’t put the kit in rear trunk .

6DDB9CE8-E04A-4BEA-BD9F-A55ABB6F582F.jpeg

I tried a lot ways ,finally I found the only way to open the rear trunk is :

F4D4C4B7-E44F-4CC5-882C-9662A550B31E.jpeg

Because it’s behind the lock ,so you need make it out a little with a stick, then you can get the screws.

Here is my problem :
    45715C5D-45BE-4B4C-BE62-F638E901EFF0.jpeg

The hook got out of the hole. So the lock can’t release.

Before you get everything back ,make sure the hook is tight and ok.

By the way , You can also adjust the the length of hook , but you need to remove the rear-right light part first.

• Informative x 7
    • Helpful x 3
  2. Tex EV

Tex EV Member

Thanks for the writeup. I'm going through this right now, but my wheel removal tools are in the trunk :D. Will add to this if/when I figure out what to do.

3. xiaoteshushu

xiaoteshushu Member

can you open it up on one side?if you can ,I think you may get it

4. TOBASH

TOBASH Supporting Member

I just used my key when the 12 V battery was dead.

5. Tex EV

Tex EV Member

I've mostly used the key since the last time I had a stuck latch. The tech then mentioned that the actuator is too hard on the latches. This time, turned out the actuator itself was seized so no amount of twisting on the key would do anything.

I was able to get in by jacking up the driver side and unbolting the rear wheelwell. That gave enough room between the wheelwell and rear bumper to reach in and manually tug on the cable where it attached to the latch. Once that side was open, I reached into the trunk and carefully pulled the safely release handle to pop the other side.

IMG_8083.jpg

• Helpful x 2
    • Like x 1