Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The way to open Roadster trunk by Force

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone ~ Today I can’t open the rear trunk by the button or key-fob. I found the way to open the rear trunk by force but not hurt the car .

I write down my experience to help other deal the same problem.

First , you need remove the wheel and its cover ; Hope you did’t put the kit in rear trunk .

6DDB9CE8-E04A-4BEA-BD9F-A55ABB6F582F.jpeg

I tried a lot ways ,finally I found the only way to open the rear trunk is :

F4D4C4B7-E44F-4CC5-882C-9662A550B31E.jpeg

Because it’s behind the lock ,so you need make it out a little with a stick, then you can get the screws.

Here is my problem :
45715C5D-45BE-4B4C-BE62-F638E901EFF0.jpeg

The hook got out of the hole. So the lock can’t release.

Before you get everything back ,make sure the hook is tight and ok.

By the way , You can also adjust the the length of hook , but you need to remove the rear-right light part first.

I've mostly used the key since the last time I had a stuck latch. The tech then mentioned that the actuator is too hard on the latches. This time, turned out the actuator itself was seized so no amount of twisting on the key would do anything.

I was able to get in by jacking up the driver side and unbolting the rear wheelwell. That gave enough room between the wheelwell and rear bumper to reach in and manually tug on the cable where it attached to the latch. Once that side was open, I reached into the trunk and carefully pulled the safely release handle to pop the other side.

IMG_8083.jpg

Put some masking tape on the bumper below the left tail light. Put a small wedge between the lamp and bumper, shine a flashlight in the hole, right between the two bigger lamps, you will see the silver part of the locking mechanism. Insert a paint stick and slide the latch to the right, the trunk opens.

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: eHorses and markwj
Put some masking tape on the bumper below the left tail light. Put a small wedge between the lamp and bumper, shine a flashlight in the hole, right between the two bigger lamps, you will see the silver part of the locking mechanism. Insert a paint stick and slide the latch to the right, the trunk opens.
This would be applicable if you've locked the key in the trunk, but if you have the key and the lock turns, won't that do the same action as the paint stick would? If the trunk latch fails to release with the key, then something like the previous procedure would be needed.

Sometimes if the key turns but the latch does not release you can help it by pushing down hard on the lid above the stuck latch to remove the pressure.