Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The weird front

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

EVer Hopeful

Jul 7, 2021
Texas
The front of the 3 and the Y might best be described as an acquired taste, but when I look at it I have to wonder why they designed it this way

I mean that as with every car "fuel consumption" is important, and to improve those numbers, aerodynamic design plays a significant part. It just seems like presenting a vertical wall to the airstream has to cause some increase in drag, so why did they do it?

...plus let's be honest, which front looks better the 3 or Y, or say an E-Type or even a Miata (the NB of course)

I think it looks like a catfish.

That said, it really does appear to be more efficient than other EV designs. There was an article posted here in another thread not long ago about how much more efficient the Model Y is, watt for watt, when compared to something like the Mach-E.

When you see it coming, you know it's a Tesla. Front 'grill' profiles and front clips have been vehicle trademarks since the beginning of the 'horseless carriage' days. I would be shocked if there was not extensive aero testing and drag coefficient tests done before they settled on the design.
Look at the front end of a Nascar race car. it looks like you could plow snow with it but it actually puts tons of downforce on the front end for traction and stability.

The front of the 3 and the Y might best be described as an acquired taste, but when I look at it I have to wonder why they designed it this way

I mean that as with every car "fuel consumption" is important, and to improve those numbers, aerodynamic design plays a significant part. It just seems like presenting a vertical wall to the airstream has to cause some increase in drag, so why did they do it?

...plus let's be honest, which front looks better the 3 or Y, or say an E-Type or even a Miata (the NB of course)

It is NOT a vertical wall. It is CONCAVE. As soon as air hits it, the air dissipates to the top and bottom..

Reactions: angus[Y]oung

Well, I didn't have to acquire the taste. I like the front end treatment. But, hey folks, let's agree that we are in an entirely subjective area here. The aesthetics can certainly be considered quirky. I resemble that, so no offense taken. My favorite car before the Tesla was a Saab. I learned to drive in a 1961 Renault Caravelle. Google it. Very similar front end. My friends liked to ride in it because it was a little bit out there. Aerodynamically the treatment works very well, as Tesla leads the industry in low CD across all of its models. Vive le difference. :)