TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

The WhiteHouse designating 48 National Electric Vehicle Charging Corridors on our Highways

Discussion in 'Electric Vehicles' started by Husamia, Nov 3, 2016.

?

What is your reaction to this news?

1. Positive

60 vote(s)
    71.4%
  2. Negative

7 vote(s)
    8.3%
  3. Undecided No response

17 vote(s)
    20.2%
  1. gregd

gregd Active Member

Well, there's more than just meets the eye...

Beta, for example, was not quite the failure all believe it to be. As a video cassette in that particular form, it eventually lost out to VHS as we all know. But it didn't die. It was reborn in the 8mm format, and went on to succeed quite well in the markets that it targeted. So, technology in itself is not an all-or-nothing sort of thing.

The Tesla Roadster charging standard, as in the actual plug that attaches to the car, didn't survive to appear on other cars. But it is fairly trivial to adapt to the J1772 and Tesla AC (not super charging) interfaces. In the 2 years I've owned it, my own Roadster has spent more time on "non-Roadster" chargers than on official ones, and both it and I have been quite happy doing so.

So the key to this highway infrastructure initiative needs to be forward-looking in the base technology, and easily adapted to the cars that can effective use it today. I don't see any effort in the announcement towards this future goal. It more appears to be a political (note the timing) "feel good" statement intended to give a view of the government doing stuff to solve problems. I know of at least one other, similarly-timed directive that had about the same feel to it (increasing readiness for extreme space weather events), and expect there were probably others.

While I do expect some good will come from it (I did get a number of good years of service from my Betamax), in the end it falls far short. Keeping my "negative" vote, above.

• Like x 1
  2. miimura

miimura Active Member

Small correction. The Tesla Roadster, RAV4 EV, and M-B B-Class Electric all have batteries that are over 30kWh but are not served by the Supercharger network. The RAV4 EV has an aftermarket CHAdeMO charging system available that can take 125 amps DC. The car can probably take at least 200 amps DC and the firmware will probably be updated to that capability when there are chargers in the wild that can deliver that much current on a CHAdeMO connector. The same company is in the process of providing CHAdeMO charging for the Roadster. They are considering doing the B-Class after the Roadster if there is sufficient interest. Of course, all these vehicles have Tesla batteries, so your point about the rest of the EV market is well taken.

Overall, I think if the specifications for the infrastructure for these 48 corridors mirror the most recent California Energy Commission grants, it will be a very good start. Those specs call for at least one 50kW dual standard charger (CCS + CHAdeMO) with conduit stubbed out suitable for a 150kW charger to be installed in the future. The site electrical service (transformer) must also be sized for that expansion. A 250KVA transformer would be sufficient for two 50kW chargers and a 150kW charger. I think that is sufficient for the rural interstates that are covered by this proposal in that there would be sufficient redundancy that nobody will get stranded due to broken hardware.

• Like x 2
  3. jkn

jkn Member

I mostly agree. Except that I don't believe there will be masses of slowly charging EV's, ever. Those are only for small minority, mostly as a second car. There are many models of those cars, but none will really succeed.

Market for cars with Leafs price is 10 times (100 ?) larger than market for 100000 $ cars. This year (Jan - Sep) Leaf has sold 38042 and Tesla S 38282. EV Sales: World

I don't think Tesla is only one able to make good EV (value/price). Large manufacturers have not really wanted to replace their ICEs with EVs.

Perhaps after few years only Tesla and Chinese have battery production capacity for mass market EV's.

4. Jeff N

Jeff N Active Member

The California Energy Commission just published a document listing all of the new proposed DC charging locations along "east-west" routes including those leading to Primm, NV and Las Vegas on I-15. See the table on pages 7-13:

http://www.energy.ca.gov/2016publications/CEC-600-2016-008/CEC-600-2016-008.pdf

The "north-south" DC chargers funded by the CEC earlier in the year are listed in the table on pages 9-12 of:

http://energy.ca.gov/2016publications/CEC-600-2016-002/CEC-600-2016-002.pdf