Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The whole world is celebrating P100D except us here?!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys
As some of you may have come across my previous thread about pulling the trigger on P90D and lo and behold just a couple of days later P100D is revealed or should I say unleashed onto the public !! 2.5 sec car fastest or should we say quickest production car ever !!

And I believe
1. We should have a STICKY THREAD about it, it is worthy of way more, isn't it?
2. What's wrong with you guys?! What's up with the grueling silence ?!

Has anybody who just pulled the trigger on the P90D in the last few days or weeks especially with the 2 year lease ridiculous offers that are still going on, has anybody considered changing to P100D and if YES WHY, HOW, WHEN, and are discounts possible or forget it?!

Thank you

Reactions: LargeHamCollider
Yea! The whole world is celebrating!

I just saw on the news the big parties in Louisiana and how the community came together to forget about the flood damage to exalt the new rich person's toy!

And you are right, you shouldn't stay fastest since there are plenty of cars that go faster.

And no, it it not the quickest production car ever. There were other production cars which were just as quick getting from 0-60 and were faster overall.

Last edited:
Yea! The whole world is celebrating!

I just saw on the news the big parties in Louisiana and how the community came together to forget about the flood damage to exalt the new rich person's toy!

And you are right, you shouldn't stay fastest since there are plenty of cars that go faster.

And no, it it not the quickest production car ever. There were other production cars which were just as quick getting from 0-60 and were faster overall.

The 2.5 second 0-60 can be faster. This isn't the "end of physics". But I suspect 2170 batteries, new contactors and other electronics will allow something new and fun down the road. A lighter model 3 with amped-up electronics surely will allow Plaid-level acceleration. A new roadster design could also reach beyond 2.5s due to weight and power deltas offered in the future.

2015 Ariel Atom 3.5R is 2.5 second, 0-60. However, that is a bare-bones specialty car that looks both fun and terrifying.

Reactions: soooma
What's wrong with you guys?! What's up with the grueling silence ?!
I admire your enthusiasm. I think if you look around TMC you will find multiple threads discussing the P100D.

Also, the announcement made clear that the Porsche 918 and the Ferrari "La Ferrari" were as fast but they are no longer in production. Your post said the P100D is the fastest production car ever, and Tesla's announcement makes clear that is not accurate. But of course the P100D is a remarkable car and worthy of the attention it is receiving.

It's true, we are a bit subdued.

Tesla-ssociates may not have Range Anxiety but we do have Innovation Fatigue.

A sub-three second 0 to 60 SUV is astonishing, never mind what's happening with the S. But then there's Firmware 8.0, Autopilot 2.0, Model 3 Reveal Part Deux and the Master Plan Part Deux. Then there's the Gigafactories and the move to 21700; there's Tesla Energy and Solar City...

It's relentless.

Reactions: soooma and gavine
Absolutely. With the development pace and media focus there are and will be very visible cracks and gaps in the system:-

Tesla time dilation.

Tesla hubris

Tesla customer care...

There is genuine discomfort on both sides. :(

(not sure i'd want to swap it for a genuine traditional car dealer experience though)

Absolute not. Never going back there.

The problem with being so darn good is even the slightest mistake in marketing and your customers know it. On the up side, they are only calling out 0-60 times on the P100DL. I would not be surprised if the latest (V2) battery version P90DLs that can run a 10.8 second quarter are already capable of doing a 2.5 second 0-60. No matter what, I'm willing to bet the very first P100DL to see delivery at a service center could be fully charged, have max bat up to temp and rip off a 2.5 with your grandfather or grandmother at he wheel. It will likely be even faster than a 2.5. Youtube and DragTimes will fill in all the rest of the gaps and no one need ever mention horsepower again :)

I am very excited about the P100D announcement (for those who don't know, the underline stands for the Ludicrous speed feature). As others have said, there are different threads on this including one where I saw someone upgrade their order from the 90 to the P100D. I would love to test drive the new model or the upcoming iterations such as the 100D! :cool:

Maybe it's because we know of many more important things for Tesla to focus on rather than a few tenths of a second improvement in 0-60 time. Would you like a list?

Tesla's focus on performance is an interesting conundrum.

I agree I personally would like to see an increased focus on efficiency, weight reduction and improved cost per kWh and am hopeful that all that is coming with Model 3 and the Gigafactory. That said, I believe the money generated by the highest cost highest performance version of the car will help to fund the overall mission and move it forward. Also the great publicity and cool factor Tesla has achieved with these performance (and range) milestones is a major boost towards making an EV appeal to more people. I am convinced that we would not be looking at so many major car companies pushing towards electrification if Tesla had not shaken them from their slumber by knocking it out of the park over and over.

People have to know who Tesla is.
Tesla does not advertise.
Everyone knows who Ferrari is.
Pushing the battery technology hard helps all current and future Tesla products (fixed storage and cars, trucks, busses, etc.).
Gouging margins (as in those obtained on the P100DL) will help push the whole effort forward.

Even if you hate performance, you must admit that the small amount of focus that it takes to do something like a P100DL is worth every last bit of the effort.

The link you provided shows 5 cars that were just as quick 0-60 and faster over all.
Many are faster in the quarter mile and have top speeds above 170MPH, so they are faster too.
So to summarize.... No additional data beyond what's in the list @ wikipedia? Not a critique, just want to make sure I'm not missing some data points.

Even if you hate performance, you must admit that the small amount of focus that it takes to do something like a P100DL is worth every last bit of the effort.
I don't know if we can say "small". I don't have any data on research and production hours spent, much less the PR writing and dealing with hp and other drama.

That said, unless it's "absurdly large" I think it's a huge benefit to the brand and the movement. While we're on the topic... Do we have any customers with cars so we can start evaluating the cooling situation for track driving?

Small as in-
(1) the cooling upgrades had already been cut in on the P90DL
(2) all that was involved was a battery capacity improvement

To me, that is the same as 85 to 90 or 60 to 70. Its going to happen anyway so why not make a ton of money off of the first packs by only making them available in a P100DL???? What's that, something like $40K more than a P90D?