Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The woes of wrecking a Tesla Model 3 Performance...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Damn. Well I’m glad you’re making progress. Is the delay in tearing it down due to them just being super busy? Or something due to it being a Tesla?

They had two other 3’s before me, accidents around the same time, which was believable since they’re the only shop in the area that is Tesla certified. Waited in line for about 3.5 weeks until they began disassembly.

Tesla parts apparently take 1.5 weeks from order date to be delivered - based on what they told me when I had asked. I was surprised.

• Informative
Reactions: Mrcarcrazy
damn, that stupid concrete block needs a light pole on it! I see what happened -- especially if it was raining. I wish AEB would have seen it though.

The 12v is a continued weak link with Tesla EVs. I wonder how other EVs deal with it. There must be a better way. good luck.

Looks like those concrete barriers were under construction for light poles?

That stupid Model 3 was very prone to fogging up. What did you try?

You have several cases against Tesla on this.

1) Why couldn't you easily defog it?
2) Why the heck did those air bags go off, they should not have.
3) Why didn't the car stop you from driving into a concrete barrier. (these harsh conditions are when you need them the most).
4) Did the car warn you with Ultra Sonics?

Maybe the 12V or HV Battery got damaged in the accident.
Or the AirBags going off tripped something that uses power or disconnected main battery (which stopped charging the 12V) and everything was running off of 12V.

I doubt it would be close to totaled.

Thanks for sharing.

No car can defog instantly.
From the manual "Significant superficialdamage can occur to the vehicle without the airbags inflating and, conversely, a relatively small amount of structural damage can cause airbags to inflate."
3) Why didn't the car stop you from driving into a concrete barrier. (these harsh conditions are when you need them the most).
"Warning: Several factors can affect the performance of Automatic Emergency Braking, causing either no braking or inappropriate or untimely braking, such as when a vehicle is partially in the path of travel or there is road debris. It is the driver’s responsibility to drive safely and remain in control of the vehicle at all times. Never depend on Automatic Emergency Braking to avoid or reduce the impact of a collision."
The pillar was likely too small to be detected by AEB.
Ultrasonics only have a few feet of range, likely too late to avoid a collision.

No car can defog instantly.

From the manual "Significant superficialdamage can occur to the vehicle without the airbags inflating and, conversely, a relatively small amount of structural damage can cause airbags to inflate."

"Warning: Several factors can affect the performance of Automatic Emergency Braking, causing either no braking or inappropriate or untimely braking, such as when a vehicle is partially in the path of travel or there is road debris. It is the driver’s responsibility to drive safely and remain in control of the vehicle at all times. Never depend on Automatic Emergency Braking to avoid or reduce the impact of a collision."
The pillar was likely too small to be detected by AEB.

Ultrasonics only have a few feet of range, likely too late to avoid a collision.

Disagree. That concrete block was huge and the sensors have plenty of range as well as radar.

Who says defogging had to be instant? Model 3 was definitely the worst I’ve ever experienced. But it was manageable if you knew what to do. I sure hope the X is better.

Why do folks defend such obvious flaws and only defer them getting properly addressed.

This should not have happened and been so severe. Tesla needs to take some responsibility for this calamity of problems. I know many cheaper cars this simply would not have happened.

Last edited:
Why do folks defend such obvious flaws and only defer them getting properly addressed.
I'm far from a Tesla fanboy but the flaws you're talking about are present in every car sold today.
Automatic emergency braking is intentionally very conservative about when it operates to avoid false positives. It especially has problems detecting objects that aren't moving, especially when they're smaller than a car. This is a well known limitation of radar based systems (note that in the European AEB tests all the pedestrians and cyclists are moving:
).
Airbags are designed to deploy at 15mph into an immovable barrier. This may have been slower than that but because the sensors are near the front of the car and the object was narrower than the front of the car that may have resulted in larger acceleration forces on the sensors than if the car hit a wall.
The ultrasonic sensors only have a range of a few feet and I don't think any car manufacturer uses them for emergency braking.
I actually have no idea how well the defogger works, I guess I haven't had my windows fog up, but driving without being able to see out the windshield is risky in any car.

Or the AirBags going off tripped something that uses power or disconnected main battery (which stopped charging the 12V) and everything was running off of 12V.

I believe airbag deployment will always trigger the pyrofuse.

Ask for damages value adjustment from your insurance co

Usually can't do that if you're at fault.

Not surprised your car was totaled - glad you're ok.

Looks like those concrete barriers were under construction for light poles?

That stupid Model 3 was very prone to fogging up. What did you try?

You have several cases against Tesla on this.

Maybe the 12V or HV Battery got damaged in the accident.

I doubt it would be close to totaled.

Thanks for sharing.

1) Concrete barriers are still the same as they were the day of the accident. Garage has been up for years - the top floor was built recently, but not completed; yet considered completed by the owners. Believe it or not, there were over 5 complaints last month due to the parking garage not being up to code. There was an SUV that blew a tire due to a huge hole after driving over an asphalt repair patch recently in that garage - I'll post a photo of it. Unfortunately, it's the only place I can park for work - street parking is risky and costly, vs the free parking pass I get from work for the garage.

2) All I could think of, in regards to this, is the impact damage was similar to if I were to hit a utility pole - this may have triggered the sensors or damaged them enough to have the airbags go off. The most annoying part was getting out of the vehicle, the airbags wouldn't deflate, had to cut them open. And my jeans caught on fire from the driver airbag - that wasn't fun, haha. Nothing crazy though, small fire. Tesla called me seconds after, guy seemed like he liked his job.

3) Rain, visibility, no warnings but I don't have an answer for this. To be honest, I don't think the sensors could even pick up the barrier due to the angle I was driving up at, along with the combination of the turn I made. My eyes couldn't pick it up. I drove to that spot with my old car after the accident, really hard to see the barrier - it almost lines up with the hood of the car.

4) No warnings.

Overall, not totaled - 15k in damages though, whew. Everything but the hood, and bumper, along with whats behind the bumper raked up the total, and the airbags. The 3 stage pearl white paint also costs a lot apparently.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: mswlogo
These are two separate holes in that garage - referring to my previous reply on (1).

Attachments

• FF918B24-292A-4456-BEB1-51AE51CA3C8A.jpeg
    FF918B24-292A-4456-BEB1-51AE51CA3C8A.jpeg
    1,011.9 KB · Views: 95
  • CF324CB6-D42C-40E4-BE9A-3D306C0720BD.jpeg
    CF324CB6-D42C-40E4-BE9A-3D306C0720BD.jpeg
    203.3 KB · Views: 83
  • 2A710745-8930-44B1-921C-3E9606AD3AD9.jpeg
    2A710745-8930-44B1-921C-3E9606AD3AD9.jpeg
    942.2 KB · Views: 90
  • Informative
Reactions: tracksyde
:eek:That can't possibly be legal.

It’s not, but insurance is probably on their ass for it. They inspected the place. Owners however started using concrete and chicken wire to patch now instead of asphalt. They also placed 1.5inch thick steel plates above the major cracks where cars drive over along the support beams, instead of actually repairing them. This garage will collapse one day I swear, lol.

Edit:
OMG look what I just found - 12 days before my accident. This is the garage!
13 Investigates looking into conditions at Troy's Uncle Sam Parking Garage
New docs: Mounting frustration over Troy parking garage issues for months

Last edited: