Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The worst part about the Model Y? The paint.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since you mentioned about BSM, any idea if anyone tried those $10 tiny mirros that you stick on existing mirrors. I am a newbie. Of all Teslas I noticed around my area, never seen a single one using these. Just wondering if there is a clear reason not to use those. Someone was mentioning that it may come off when the mirrors are heated.
I have been trying to use the recommended way to adjust the mirrors so as to avoid blind spots. But, given that the original rear view mirror visibility is already low, I guess it's still not the best configuration. Eager to hear from other owners on how they are managing blind spots.
There's no chance I'm installing blind spot mirrors on MY. I simply adjust my mirrors to capture as much of the blind spot as possible and look over my shoulder like they taught in behind the wheel when I learned to drive many years ago.

I always wondered why there are so many PPF and don’t wash your Y posts.

Seems strange that the paint isn’t that good or is this normal and everyone has a heightened concern.

<sigh> wait for your car, and judge for yourself. I have had two white Tesla's, a 3 and a Y. I have had no issues with the paint, and mine have been no more prone to chipping than any other car I have owned. As on all forums that I have frequented, the discussions here are skewed to complaints, not satisfaction.

<sigh> wait for your car, and judge for yourself. I have had two white Tesla's, a 3 and a Y. I have had no issues with the paint, and mine have been no more prone to chipping than any other car I have owned. As on all forums that I have frequented, the discussions here are skewed to complaints, not satisfaction.
I've had my white MY for just over 3 months... seems okay. But maybe white is harder to find chips?

I dunno... this will all go away when I get that stainless steel CT. :)

Reactions: jpfive
Suspension is fine to me, actually. My prior daily was an Mercedes AMG E63, which was significantly harsher. If you come from AMG or one of BMW's M products, it feels great! There is a thread of former BMW drivers where a few had made this observation.
I had the very same conversation with a friend of mine.

He said his was super harsh but he came from a Porsche SUV. I came from a C63 AMG P31 and felt the MYP was like driving a Jeep on freshly paved road.

That seems to be the consensus with whatever you were predisposed with prior to MYP

Reactions: dn325ci
I'd say the paint is comparable to cheaper brands. I used a paint thickness gauge on a Toyota Highlander, Mazda Cx-5, and the MY LR. The highlander was by far the thickest, the CX5 and MY are very comparable, and very thin, especially the hood area. the 2017 Cx-5 hood was peppered after the 3 years of driving (38k), and my assumption is that the MY will be in the same shape after that. I'd recommend staying away from red/black and stick with white/gray if you're concerned about it.

As to suspension, coming from the Cx-5, its very comparable, but using a Highlander at the same time, its night and day.