Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The worst part about the Model Y? The paint.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've owned a lot of cars of every stripe, and I can say with confidence that the worst part of the Model Y is the paint. It's just garbage. Why? It's brittle. Everything chips it. My MYP was delivered March 12, and the number of chips are astonishing. I'm sure everyone will pile in recommending thousands of dollars of PPF, which is fine. I'm wondering if any of you are using a chip repair product? If so, which one? Thanks.

Have you driven it yet? I would say the suspension is far worse.
I've come to the conclusion that those who think the suspension is bad either (a) have something other than the 19" wheels; or (b) have an older Y with worse suspension.

I've got a 2021 with 19" wheels and I have no problems with the suspension. I have driven a lot of cars and the Model Y replaced a 2018 Audi Q5 (with 20" wheels)-- the suspension is about the same as the Audi. Therefore, either the selection of wheels has a significant impact on one's impression of the suspension or Tesla has made improvements to the suspension since the complaints started.

Reactions: kindofblue
Suspension is fine to me, actually. My prior daily was an Mercedes AMG E63, which was significantly harsher. If you come from AMG or one of BMW's M products, it feels great! There is a thread of former BMW drivers where a few had made this observation.
That’s funny. I am also coming from BMW and find the Model Y suspension to be absolutely unbearable. I am running 19” tires.

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
I've owned a lot of cars of every stripe, and I can say with confidence that the worst part of the Model Y is the paint. It's just garbage. Why? It's brittle. Everything chips it. My MYP was delivered March 12, and the number of chips are astonishing. I'm sure everyone will pile in recommending thousands of dollars of PPF, which is fine. I'm wondering if any of you are using a chip repair product? If so, which one? Thanks.
Yes, lots of colleagues have complained of this very thing to me as well. They warned me not to let it leave my garage until it's wrapped, so that's what I'm doing.

I just took delivery of the MYP and although I don't have many miles on it, I like the suspension. After hearing complaints, I was expecting the worse and can say I'm pleasantly surprised. I think it's good on sport and comfort. My previous vehicles have been anything from 911s to M4s to X3s and trucks.

Suspension is fine to me, actually. My prior daily was an Mercedes AMG E63, which was significantly harsher. If you come from AMG or one of BMW's M products, it feels great! There is a thread of former BMW drivers where a few had made this observation.
whoa. I have a 2014 E63 and it is so much better than the model Y as far as suspension goes. Model Y reminds me of a Honda civic, I feel every bump and the interior rattles like crazy. I troll Elon on Twitter constantly about how bad his interiors are. My Y has 500 miles on it and IM on here right now searching how to take the door apart so I can start chasing rattles. Im not gonna be the guy going to the service center to chase snap crackles and pops.

All these threads about paint and suspension issues are making me concerned… Got my LR MY on order however, starting to second guess my purchase. I drive 130 miles round trip 6 days a week of which 120 are highway. With spending over $700 a month on fuel I need an electric car with large cargo capacity plus have a family of 5 and a dog. I’ve driven a Y twice. I come form driving old school cars as well as modern 88 BMW M6, 89 BMW IX Dinan, 2007 BMW 525i and 2009 Nissan Pathfinder which will be my trade in. I buy my cars not lease thus long term ownership. I did find the suspension appears not to dampen well but these have been 45 mins to 1 hour drives Paint concerns me greatly as I have a curse where I can see imperfections in auto paint. I can always tell when a panel has been repainted. Ordered black to a sour potential issues with the metallic flakes not applied properly or if touch ups are ever needed. I do plan to have the car wrapped with the clear protection. I’m even considering a bra of that even still exists (need to keep it ultra clean not to do more damage than good). With all my highway driving stone chips are a big concern.

All these threads about paint and suspension issues are making me concerned… Got my LR MY on order however, starting to second guess my purchase. I drive 130 miles round trip 6 days a week of which 120 are highway. With spending over $700 a month on fuel I need an electric car with large cargo capacity plus have a family of 5 and a dog. I’ve driven a Y twice. I come form driving old school cars as well as modern 88 BMW M6, 89 BMW IX Dinan, 2007 BMW 525i and 2009 Nissan Pathfinder which will be my trade in. I buy my cars not lease thus long term ownership. I did find the suspension appears not to dampen well but these have been 45 mins to 1 hour drives Paint concerns me greatly as I have a curse where I can see imperfections in auto paint. I can always tell when a panel has been repainted. Ordered black to a sour potential issues with the metallic flakes not applied properly or if touch ups are ever needed. I do plan to have the car wrapped with the clear protection. I’m even considering a bra of that even still exists (need to keep it ultra clean not to do more damage than good). With all my highway driving stone chips are a big concern.
Paint quality is fine. Actually I found the paint to be really clean and not a lot of orange peel. The issue with Tesla paint is it is a water based paint/clear. They are painted in California so I assume because of their regulations out there Tesla doesn’t use a stronger paint. I drove my Y 3500 miles before getting the PPF installed and had 3 chips on the front bumper. AP3 Atlanta filled them before applying PPF and I don’t see them anymore. However, if you don’t plan to get PPF I believe the front end will chip quickly. I had the entire vehicle wrapped in Matte PPF so the paint is a non issue for me.
As far as suspension goes, I find it to ride a little on the firmer side. I thought it would be much worse based on how many people complain on these forums. It isn’t unbearable. I switched to Michelin tires and it fixed all my complaints. I believe the factory tires are garbage and that is my biggest complaint with the Y. Some other people in the forums (I agree) have stated around 5k miles the suspension starts to soften up. I have about 5500 miles now and I think it is fine. Fit and finish for mine was great: Feb 2021 build.

Reactions: john85775
former Mercedes owner for 40 yrs Don't miss the boredom of the mer. My 2019X is such fun on the road & when it is "dancing" to show off on the driveway. I always felt very safe in my Merc usually last 20yrs drove an S class. The electric car beats a gas engine anything IMO my husband has a 911 porsche and tries to drive mine most of the time!! The X is plenty heavy so that feels good no engine in the front still makes me feel more cautious but it never stops me from getting in! Driving is quiet & just fun..so fast!! i enjoy trying to engage younger men behind sports cars to challenge me when at stop lights...i blow them all away, (p.s. i'm an old lady & love fast cars) My entire car is PPF so no worries there. i find their support for car Extremely lacking!! one friend had no a/c in a new y and it took 10 days to get them to give him a date & then 5 days in repair. They need to improve on that! Elon is a jerk, but a brilliant one..i own the stock, but worry every time he opens his mouth

I have no issues with the paint. I do have ppf of select portions of the car but the unprotected areas are about as good as new. The worst part to me, and this isn't Model Y specific, is the worst in class Tesla blind spot monitoring technology.
Since you mentioned about BSM, any idea if anyone tried those $10 tiny mirros that you stick on existing mirrors. I am a newbie. Of all Teslas I noticed around my area, never seen a single one using these. Just wondering if there is a clear reason not to use those. Someone was mentioning that it may come off when the mirrors are heated.
I have been trying to use the recommended way to adjust the mirrors so as to avoid blind spots. But, given that the original rear view mirror visibility is already low, I guess it's still not the best configuration. Eager to hear from other owners on how they are managing blind spots.

Since you mentioned about BSM, any idea if anyone tried those $10 tiny mirros that you stick on existing mirrors. I am a newbie. Of all Teslas I noticed around my area, never seen a single one using these. Just wondering if there is a clear reason not to use those. Someone was mentioning that it may come off when the mirrors are heated.
I have been trying to use the recommended way to adjust the mirrors so as to avoid blind spots. But, given that the original rear view mirror visibility is already low, I guess it's still not the best configuration. Eager to hear from other owners on how they are managing blind spots.
If mirrors are adjusted out so you don’t see the rear quarter panels then there really isn’t much of a blind spot. I had to retrain myself because I could always see the rear quarters in my Jeep. Of course it had gigantic mirrors and the Ys are kinda small. I find that by the you can’t see someone in your mirror they are either far enough up the side you can just look left, or they are showing up on the touch screen graphics.

Reactions: kindofblue