Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The worst part of AD "NAG" is

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, the frequency of AD "NAG" has definitively increased with 7.1

The most annoying issue with the nag is that it overlaps/silences the audio of whatever you are listening to (Audiobooks, news, NPR...)

For some reason, it always mutes the key phrase within the broadcast (lost forever) or makes you have to rewind the audiobook (actually introducing a risk factor by forcing you to take your eyes from the road and into whatever action /device you are using to rewind a few seconds)

If the suits and lawyers from tesla got neutered between 7.0 and 7.1 then at least they should find a way to not harass and make their customer commutes an unpleasant experience.

So Tesla, here are a few suggestions (in order of intrusiveness):

1. Gentle "ding sound" with the warning without SILENCING the audio your are listening to.

2. Gentle vibrating sound like the one created by driving over lines.

3. Electric shock through the seat.

4. Impalement.

But please, don't mute the sound system.

P.S Looking forward for Tesla to grow a pair again.

Well, the frequency of AD "NAG" has definitively increased with 7.1

The most annoying issue with the nag is that it overlaps/silences the audio of whatever you are listening to (Audiobooks, news, NPR...)

For some reason, it always mutes the key phrase within the broadcast (lost forever) or makes you have to rewind the audiobook (actually introducing a risk factor by forcing you to take your eyes from the road and into whatever action /device you are using to rewind a few seconds)

If the suits and lawyers from tesla got neutered between 7.0 and 7.1 then at least they should find a way to not harass and make their customer commutes an unpleasant experience.

So Tesla, here are a few suggestions (in order of intrusiveness):

1. Gentle "ding sound" with the warning without SILENCING the audio your are listening to.

2. Gentle vibrating sound like the one created by driving over lines.

3. Electric shock through the seat.

4. Impalement.

But please, don't mute the sound system.

P.S Looking forward for Tesla to grow a pair again.
The problem is that people brought this upon themselves.
In the current US legal climate it is perfectly fine for people not to take responsibility for their actions.
Just look at all the videos of people making videos of driving while reading, or from the back seat with no driver and generally "look ma no hands" videos.
All it needs is one deadly crash and one set of relatives to sue Tesla for not protecting the drivers.
Even better, look at the threads here about crashes where AP is enabled.
It doesn't matter that Tesla say the driver is responsible - as soon as someone causes harm to a third party it will be Tesla on the hook.
Just look at Porsche and Paul Walker's relatives.

I would bet that the next release will disallow anything less than 3 car length gaps (maybe more) because there isn't enough time for someone to brake if they aren't paying attention.

How about just electronically reducing the total HP of the car by 5 hp each time it needs to nag you? The reduction would be permanent unless you paid a nonrefundable deposit for a future, potential, upgrade/retrofit that might be done or might not be done at your SC. And by all means can't be done if your VIN is an odd number or a prime number.

How about just electronically reducing the total HP of the car by 5 hp each time it needs to nag you? The reduction would be permanent unless you paid a nonrefundable deposit for a future, potential, upgrade/retrofit that might be done or might not be done at your SC. And by all means can't be done if your VIN is an odd number or a prime number.

And have this appear on the screen:
Ransom.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Obviously you are not, however, you got to agree the implementation needs to be improved. One thing is lawerying up the car/company, other is making the whole experience of driving the car a frustrating mess!
It is absolutely not a "frustrating mess" to drive the car with AP 7.1. It's very nice and relaxing, as it was with 7.0. Only more so. Do you have a Tesla with AP?

You mean like all the other non-Tesla vehicles that have some variant of it, who were formerly mad as hell that some other car company had the intestinal fortitude to trust the signals and driver? Or the lawyers salivating waiting for the first lawsuit they could pin on this?
I should have been more specific, let me clarify the comment; not all TESLA owners are displeased with the nag, J/S

if you want some free advice it would be to chill out, life is too short to be so angry about it

The worst part of AD "NAG" is

To the OP: constructive criticism is always helpful, angry hyperbole is not.
You are fortunate enough to be driving the finest car ever made. AP is in its infancy, and if you find the latest version so objectionable, you can drive "the old fashioned way" with AP off and have an incredible driving experience. Your car will receive more AP updates this year and the system will continue to evolve.

I should have been more specific, let me clarify the comment; not all TESLA owners are displeased with the nag, J/S

if you want some free advice it would be to chill out, life is too short to be so angry about it

I agree. I haven't tested it out on a long drive yet, but short drives on the highway it seems if I rest my arm on the wheel like I usually do, the nag isn't there. That coupled with me being able to stay in the right lane and AP not trying to take every damn exit, I say v7.1 is an improvement overall.

Now, my OCDness wants to know exactly what triggers the nag, because it seems random at this point (sometimes 3 minutes, sometimes 5 minutes, some people get it, others don't, etc. etc. etc.)

Now if only I'd get the quick select button back on the media player.

I agree. I haven't tested it out on a long drive yet, but short drives on the highway it seems if I rest my arm on the wheel like I usually do, the nag isn't there. That coupled with me being able to stay in the right lane and AP not trying to take every damn exit, I say v7.1 is an improvement overall.

Now, my OCDness wants to know exactly what triggers the nag, because it seems random at this point (sometimes 3 minutes, sometimes 5 minutes, some people get it, others don't, etc. etc. etc.)

Now, if only I'd get the quick select button back on the media player.

Agree completely. The improvement at right exits is dramatic. I felt no wheel torque there at all now. It was much improved with the last patch I got, but this is exactly as I'd expect. Now, when I do want to exit and there are two lanes exiting, how do I get it to take the exit and not change lanes? I haven't figured that out yet, other than by being in the right-most lane to start with.

And I had just figured out that quick select button after someone on here complained about its being gone, and now I miss it, too. But it was a far reach to get to it and when the IC can do the same thing maybe it was thought to be safer using the steering wheel scroll?

And I had just figured out that quick select button after someone on here complained about its being gone, and now I miss it, too. But it was a far reach to get to it and when the IC can do the same thing maybe it was thought to be safer using the steering wheel scroll?

I would use the scroll wheels, but my wife accidentally clicks it sometimes, and when she does it clears favorites. If they made clicking the scroll wheel do ANYTHING but remove favorites, I would use.

That's one of the dumbest implementations I could think of...

I would use the scroll wheels, but my wife accidentally clicks it sometimes, and when she does it clears favorites. If they made clicking the scroll wheel do ANYTHING but remove favorites, I would use.

That's one of the dumbest implementations I could think of...
Argh. I did not know it does that. I must admit I mostly use the large buttons on the screen or let my passenger be the dj.

I wonder how much Tesla pays the pro-tesla trolls?

Is there an office with dozens of cubicles filled with "interns" trolling the forums to extinguish any Tesla customer complains? Or do they work from home?

"I loved being nag" "it's wonderfull, the best thing since sliced bread" "I wake up in the middle of the night and smile thinking, was that you Tesla ;) shame on you for waking me up" "without the Tesla nag, my life is feels empty " "Tesla, why haven't you nag me in the last 5 minutes, did I do something wrong? Please nag me" "If you don't like the nag, you must be developmentally delayed " Do you guys really believe the nonsense you write?

Tesla, don't alienate your customers, you know, the ones with the $100k buying power

Anyway, Tesla, please, if you are going to nag your customers, please don't mute the audio, please don't interrupt what your customers are listening to. Find another way to ask us to wiggle the steering wheel in order to keep your lawyers happy

Thanks for (I hope you are) listening

I found a very easy work around. I pull my left foot close to the seat, bending my left knee. Then I lean my left knee against the door, rest my left arm on my left leg, and lightly grip the steering wheel with my left hand. This is a very relaxing position for me and I can go for long periods that way.

If I need to do a quick task with both hands, I give the steering wheel a giggle, do the task, give the wheel another wiggle, stretch a little, then go back to the resting left hand position.

I did 1,200 mile on 7.1 in the last few days, including 750 miles on Thursday, and this work around method worked great.

I have written alot of software. If I were programming AP, I would have it remind me to hold the wheel when it's confidence is low. At really low confidence the software would ask their drive to take over immediately. I wonder if TM tweeked the software to better recognize when it might be in trouble and keep the driver in the loop. As I have read various posts about 7.1 Nags, it appears that sometimes it nags quite often and others times not much more than before. Those cases where nags increased the car was driving fast, or in situations that would be more difficult for the software. I drove recently in hard rain on the Eastern Shore of Virginia and could not believe that it worked at all. I am not going to worry about nags and just continue to be amazed at what Tesla has accomplished. Cadillac just delayed their autopilot software for a year.

The problem is that people brought this upon themselves.
In the current US legal climate it is perfectly fine for people not to take responsibility for their actions.
Just look at all the videos of people making videos of driving while reading, or from the back seat with no driver and generally "look ma no hands" videos.

Spot on. It's a real shame that a few idiots (posting stupid videos) have ruined it for the rest of us.

- - - Updated - - -

I found a very easy work around. I pull my left foot close to the seat, bending my left knee. Then I lean my left knee against the door, rest my left arm on my left leg, and lightly grip the steering wheel with my left hand. This is a very relaxing position for me and I can go for long periods that way.

If I need to do a quick task with both hands, I give the steering wheel a giggle, do the task, give the wheel another wiggle, stretch a little, then go back to the resting left hand position.

I did 1,200 mile on 7.1 in the last few days, including 750 miles on Thursday, and this work around method worked great.

As always, you are the voice of reason.

I'm curious if they adjusted the horizon farther ahead. There are reports of centering and alignment in turns and generally less ping ponging.

This might be related to looking farther ahead.

That may change its confidence on the same roads. Small hills for example may make it more difficult to see farther ahead and result in more requesting to hold wheel.