Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Wrecked Roadster Registry

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
According to the people who rebuilt it, the panels are molded carbon fiber (not overlay). Lots of time and $$$ in molds.
I was just quoting Gruber in his video; he may have been speaking loosely. Do you happen to know who rebuilt it? Were the replacement panels 100% prepreg, or a composite sandwich (as with the originals)? Was there a weight difference? Who has those molds now?

Does anyone know which VINs were lost in the most recent fire at Gruber?

Pete said he’d reached out to all those whose cars had burned, as well as those with cars onsite; don’t know if he’s reached out to PEM owners or those with other components on-site - I’m assuming each burnt-up PEMs will be a bricked roadster eventually.

So far I’ve seen the following -

Destroyed:
265 (via owner’s Facebook)
516 (via owner’s Twitter)
540 (via owner’s Facebook)
1216 (via owner’s Facebook)

Were on-site; status unknown
227 (via owner’s Twitter)
1196 (via owner on TMC)

Off-site / Survived:
100 (via owner’s Facebook)

Other:
Three Megapole boards (via Medlock’s FB)

Destroyed in 2017 fire (via TEG, first page of this thread):
Confirming #265. I was the 2nd owner. I bought it off eBay in November 2014. I'm proud to say it was no garage queen. I "drove it like I stole it" most of the time. I bought it with 11,698 miles and it burned with 65,431 miles on the odometer. What a fantastic car.

Attachments

• DSC_0083.jpg
    DSC_0083.jpg
    451.9 KB · Views: 60
I was just quoting Gruber in his video; he may have been speaking loosely. Do you happen to know who rebuilt it? Were the replacement panels 100% prepreg, or a composite sandwich (as with the originals)? Was there a weight difference? Who has those molds now?
I built the car from getting it from salvage auction to what you see now. I am building another one in 2022

Reactions: carrotted
By my rough count, there were 26, maybe 28 cars visible onsite in the Gjeebs video filmed several days before the fire:
4 or 5 Glacier Blue (27, 540, ???, ???, ?)
4 Twilight Blue (227, 545, 581, ???)
4 Arctic White (393, ???, ???, ???)
3 or 4 “Black” (464, ???, ???, ?)
3 Thunder Gray (1157, 1196, ???)
2 Radiant Red (1125?, ???)
1 Fusion Red (1125?)
1 Very Orange (???)
1 Brilliant Yellow (???)
1 Lightning Green (1216)
1 Electric Blue (516)
1 Sterling Silver (423)

Note that the VINs here are just matching up known lost roadsters against their colors; the roadsters seen were not necessarily lost, and some of those lost may not be seen in the video. That said, the color count of the roadsters seen in the video is a superset of the color count of those which are publicly known to be lost.

Again, this is a rough count, and the usual caveats of roadster spotting apply: can’t always tell jet black from obsidian Black from full carbon, White could be Pearl, Sterling Silver could appear Glacier Blue in certain light, etc.

I’ll try to rewatch while marking locations on a floor plan at some point, to see if I can get a more accurate count.

I would suggest someone download and archive the video in high quality, should it be helpful in an insurance investigation.
Great sleuth work! The Gjeebs video is very significant, and well done. It chronicles the state of an amazing facility. It's too sad that Pete Gruber and his team's dedication, hard work and contributions to preserving these historic vehicles has been marred by this tragedy. He is a class act and very giving of his time.

As an aside, I didn't think the noise Gjeebs heard behind him was explained very well so I posted a comment to this channel to explain one of the neat things with the roadster is the power train electronics are situated right behind you at ear level. The sound Gjeebs hears behind him are the IGBT's commutating in the PEM. As the inverter electronics turn off and on at high frequencies to switch the DC Bus to three phase AC, I believe they actually physically excite the heat sinks to generate the noise you hear. If you turn the radio off in a Model 3 you can hear the same singing sound but no where near as loud as when driving a roadster!

During a long career in industry supporting DC and AC drive system I've listened to many generations of electronics commutating....the Roadster sound to me is unique. It's akin to that of a Harley in uniqueness but far more refined. The roadster has a sound of it's own....more throaty than a Model 3 or any other EV.

• Informative
Reactions: RobsJester
By my rough count, there were 26, maybe 28 cars visible onsite in the Gjeebs video filmed several days before the fire:
4 or 5 Glacier Blue (27, 540, ???, ???, ?)
4 Twilight Blue (227, 545, 581, ???)
4 Arctic White (393, ???, ???, ???)
3 or 4 “Black” (464, ???, ???, ?)
3 Thunder Gray (1157, 1196, ???)
2 Radiant Red (1125?, ???)
1 Fusion Red (1125?)
1 Very Orange (???)
1 Brilliant Yellow (???)
1 Lightning Green (1216)
1 Electric Blue (516)
1 Sterling Silver (423)

Note that the VINs here are just matching up known lost roadsters against their colors; the roadsters seen were not necessarily lost, and some of those lost may not be seen in the video. That said, the color count of the roadsters seen in the video is a superset of the color count of those which are publicly known to be lost.

Again, this is a rough count, and the usual caveats of roadster spotting apply: can’t always tell jet black from obsidian Black from full carbon, White could be Pearl, Sterling Silver could appear Glacier Blue in certain light, etc.

I’ll try to rewatch while marking locations on a floor plan at some point, to see if I can get a more accurate count.

I would suggest someone download and archive the video in high quality, should it be helpful in an insurance investigation.

3of.jpg

Sheets from a whole bunch of different Roadsters:
holysheet.jpg

What were they doing? Cherry picking from different cars to "Frankenstein" together working packs?
Also, I thought they were planning to keep all the pack repairs in separate "bunkers" after the first fire...

¯\_(ツ)_/¯​

• Helpful
Reactions: Sonics2020