TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

"The X will have a step beyond what we’re currently shipping on the autonomous front"

Discussion in 'Model X' started by robby, Jan 13, 2015.

1. robby

robby Member

2. BerTX

BerTX Member

So, start revealing!!

3. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Indeed. The promise of all these goodies coming to the X (and then some) is one of the main things keeping me from trading in my S for a newer model.

4. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

It seems to me like the only things missing from the current sensor suite are long range rear view (which the mirror-cameras should address) and side looking cameras to identify traffic at stop signs or lights.

I'm hoping the X comes with three way mirror pods - rear, side, and down for birds-eye/360 on each side.

Once you have that, I think it is just software. :)
    Walter

5. ohmman

ohmman Maximum Plaid Member

6. Kevin Harney

Kevin Harney Active Member

I for one am anxious to see what more they will be adding. Model S already claims highway driving, parallel parking and pull in and back in parking and coming to greet you on private property.

7. Earlian

Earlian Member

"The X will have a step beyond what we’re currently shipping on the autonomou...

I always wonder, why there is no development from airbags, like this. Ok it was meant funny, but all we got the last decades, were more airbags in cars, but no better body-injury-protection at all!

On the other hand, if autonomous is reality in all cars, accidents will happen significantly less often then today.

8. gjunky

gjunky Waiting for the Model ☰

Claims but not all (yet) implemented. The parking option might be released with the Model X.

9. Hugh Mannity

Hugh Mannity Mediocre Member

Meh, who cares about the electronic wizardry, i personally cant wait to order the wood panelling option

:love:

10. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

I've got you covered.

Screen Shot 2015-01-13 at 5.47.49 PM.png

11. Hugh Mannity

Hugh Mannity Mediocre Member

No way it better be real wood like the woodies from the 50's :cool:

12. Hodginator

Hodginator Member

Well, in the Extant show the drivers seat turned around to face the back seats. Maybe it will truly be autopilot in the sense that you don't even have to pay attention to the road and can spin the seat around and lounge.

13. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Nope. That won't be legal for many many years.

14. RDoc

RDoc S85D

Nah, it looks really bad after just a few weeks exposure to the elements. Even with 2 cans of paint remover and almost 2 dozen spray cans of paint you can't really match the factory finish on the rest of the car.

15. MikeL

MikeL some guy

Let's just go ahead and converge all Model X threads to one giant "woody" discussion. If that's where it's headed, why fight the inevitable :rolleyes:

eyerolling smilie is my favorite

16. AnxietyRanger

AnxietyRanger Active Member

Model S also misses front cam(s) in the places where 360 makes them most useful, the mask/bumper area. They with side cameras would surely be a welcome addition.

17. ptsagcy

ptsagcy Member

LOL :)-) How about as a 100% tint for the windshield to see if autonomous feature really works?

18. EchoDelta

EchoDelta Member

When training for instrument flight we used to have these combinations of windshield blockers and 'masks' that would cover from the panel upwards.
    9408.jpg
    Irrationally, it takes much more of self control to not jump in and grab controls when you can't actually 'see' why the autopilot does what it does.

19. Aljohn

Aljohn Member

It is a good question. However, there have been many advances in Air Bag Technologies since their inception, just as their have been with seat belts from being passive to active collision tensioning. Side Curtains, Dual, and multiple Intensity levels have replaced the simple air bag from a few decades ago. Laser and weight technologies to determine who and where passengers and drivers are seated, and how far from the air bag so it can intelligently "explode". Studies have been done by the NTSB and other bodies, not to mention auto manufacturers to continuously improve passenger protection. Mercedes, for example, now includes three-level air bags in many of their cars (Mercedes gives these patented safety improvements to any car manufacture). In my prior Jaguar, it had low level laser sensors that determine the passenger's height and distance from the air bag which determined how the air bag would react.

It seems these improvement are "background" improvements that aren't as "sexy" as other conveniences. There are numerous articles on the internet about changes, improvements and their affects on passengers and drivers. I would assume that Tesla, like other auto makers acquire air bags from subs who use the latest technologies and control systems.

20. EarlyAdopter

EarlyAdopter Active Member

Indeed there have.

[video]http://www.hulu.com/watch/281951[/video]