Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Y rear is ugly

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Counterpoint: I think the Model Y is a handsome car just as it is. I would however, have added a physical glove box button.

Funny how that is.. my wife's model 3 was wrecked, and when I went to the repair shop yard to get our stuff out of it, I couldn't get into the glovebox because the 12v was dead. Also there was no clear way to connect power to the car because the hood was smashed (can't get into the under the hood connection) and the bumper was completely missing (no front bumper access). I ended up having to figure out which wires were the battery leads (pretty much an educated guess) and get an external power source from the repair shop. all in 100+ degree weather in the sun. Which sucked.

Still I don't mind not having a glove box handle .. in fact I kind of like how impossible the car gets without power. you can't even open the doors! I'm a freak I guess. I did get some kind of "ITS ALIVE!!!" rush out of hearing the computer start up once I got the power connected. Then I was sad to use the screen for the last time to open the glovebox and reset the car back to default.

:(

Funny how that is.. my wife's model 3 was wrecked, and when I went to the repair shop yard to get our stuff out of it, I couldn't get into the glovebox because the 12v was dead. Also there was no clear way to connect power to the car because the hood was smashed (can't get into the under the hood connection) and the bumper was completely missing (no front bumper access). I ended up having to figure out which wires were the battery leads (pretty much an educated guess) and get an external power source from the repair shop. all in 100+ degree weather in the sun. Which sucked.

Still I don't mind not having a glove box handle .. in fact I kind of like how impossible the car gets without power. you can't even open the doors! I'm a freak I guess. I did get some kind of "ITS ALIVE!!!" rush out of hearing the computer start up once I got the power connected. Then I was sad to use the screen for the last time to open the glovebox and reset the car back to default.

A long screwdriver or crowbar will open the glovebox (or door) in less than a second. You only need 12V power to non-destructively open the glove box. The rash of rear window smash and grabs might be an example...

I love the looks of the Model 3, and the Model Y just looks like a bigger version of it, which in my view dilutes the appeal of the 3 a bit but I think both cars look great.

The only design feature I don't like with Tesla cars is the way the chrome trim spears in to the rear taillights on the Model S (where that detail exists). I also don't like the fake intake look of some Model S cars.

I love how minimal these cars look, and the Model 3 is a thing of beauty.

Funny how that is.. my wife's model 3 was wrecked, and when I went to the repair shop yard to get our stuff out of it,
I couldn't get into the glovebox because the 12v was dead.
Also there was no clear way to connect power to the car because the hood was smashed (can't get into the under the hood connection)
and the bumper was completely missing (no front bumper access).
I ended up having to figure out which wires were the battery leads (pretty much an educated guess)
and get an external power source from the repair shop. all in 100+ degree weather in the sun. Which sucked.

Still I don't mind not having a glove box handle .. in fact I kind of like how impossible the car gets without power.
you can't even open the doors! I'm a freak I guess.
I did get some kind of "ITS ALIVE!!!" rush out of hearing the computer start up once I got the power connected.
Then I was sad to use the screen for the last time to open the glovebox and reset the car back to default.

Good to know. Just received these and will try them when I take delivery next week.

You can tell his cover had been opened a few times. On mine I really had to press them into the gap at the top, but they did work. I would imagine a flat head screwdriver would mar the plastic terribly. Not a great design by Tesla on that cover. Also my cover doesn't color match that well. :(

That video is very helpful for valets that want to steal your stuff from the glove box even though you have it valet mode!
You'll never know it was them!
Not impossible, but honestly you need to keep the passenger door full open, something not very discrete to do for a Valet.

I would more worry if you leave your car at a mechanic, body shop, cleaning...

Note: You need a little bit of skill and practice to:
- move away the door molding, and
- use a flat plastic tool to remove the dashboard side cover.​

Last edited:
I was driving behind a blue Model Y today and damn that rear end is ugly looking. Easily the worst looking rear end I've seen on a crossover.

The pics don't make it look bad but that lower part of the bumper looks totally disproportionate to the small tail lights.

Huh that's funny. I think the rear and rear 3/4 are the best angles for the Y. Don't particularly like the front though - looks identical to the M3 - weak and fishlipped. Purely subjective of course.