Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The yellow screen fringe, seems to be a bigger issue for them.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Figured I'd post this here just to let folks know.

My early '17 S developed a yellow inset fringe around the screen after about 8 months of owning it. It was replaced earlier this year. Now, about 8 months later the replacement screen has the same issue.

I had a P100D loaner that was a Jan build last month and guess what, it had the yellow fringe.

So clearly this is an issue and it's not getting better. Seems like a super-odd thing to be happening. I mean, this technology has been around for quite some time, what are they doing in their build process to be causing this, I wonder.

Anyone who has ever town a center console apart see anything that might be a cause?

Tesla seems to be having problems with the adhesive for the touchscreens.

Tesla has the largest touchscreens in vehicles - which could pose challenges for the adhesive.

Our 2012 S P85 developed bubbles under the touchscreen after 50K miles - and was replaced under the extended warranty.

Our 2017 S 100D has had the yellow bands on the touchscreen twice - replaced after 12.5K miles and again after 25K miles.

These problems don't impact the functionality and are only cosmetic.

The display on our 2018 X 100D looks much brighter. It's possible the MCU2 displays/touchscreens are different and these issues are a problem only with the older MCU1 displays.

Hopefully the display installed last week in our S 100D has been fixed, and we won't require another replacement in 6-12 months...

I have the same issue on my 2017 S75D.
I have not had it replaced under warranty yet as am going to wait to see what the chance of the MCU 2 being used as a replacement

I think the chances are slim since they replaced only the touchscreen, not the MCU! At least that’s what I was told a month ago when we got our screen replaced in our 12/2017 Model X.
BTW the loaner Model S had the same yellow boarders with less than 5000 miles on the odometer...

Already had my 2017 P100D S screen replaced and my 2017 Model X 100D heads in next week for it's screen to be replaced. Seems almost every Tesla S and X develops this issue and it is more a matter of if the owner notices more than anything.

Figured I'd post this here just to let folks know.

My early '17 S developed a yellow inset fringe around the screen after about 8 months of owning it. It was replaced earlier this year. Now, about 8 months later the replacement screen has the same issue.

I had a P100D loaner that was a Jan build last month and guess what, it had the yellow fringe.

So clearly this is an issue and it's not getting better. Seems like a super-odd thing to be happening. I mean, this technology has been around for quite some time, what are they doing in their build process to be causing this, I wonder.

Anyone who has ever town a center console apart see anything that might be a cause?
Apple had this issue a few years ago and my 6 Plus developed the same problem. It has to do with the adhesive behind the screen not having cured properly.

I think the chances are slim since they replaced only the touchscreen, not the MCU! At least that’s what I was told a month ago when we got our screen replaced in our 12/2017 Model X.
BTW the loaner Model S had the same yellow boarders with less than 5000 miles on the odometer...

When mine was replaced the first time it was the full MCU. I know this because the replacement MCU itself had issues that took them a few tries to narrow down. (An encryption key and software update issue).

• Informative
Reactions: Helmuth
We've had this done twice. The first time (last December), when we got the car back, the settings had been completely wiped. With the recent replacement, nothing changed when we got the car back from the Service Center. So it's possible on the second repair, they only swapped out the display, or they did swap out the MCU and now have a way to completely save and restore all of the customer data.

My first MCU change-out is scheduled for today. This is the very first service center visit since buying the car a year ago. The yellow "residue" - as they referred to it on the phone - is very common for X and S built in most of 2015, 2016 and most of 2017.
Mine was built in early July of 2017.

we have a 2016 Model S P90D - perfect screen, absolutely no yellowing after 2 years

2017 Model X vin 44k - yellow "highlighter" border. light yellow and "fat" border

2018 Model S 75 loaner i received (vin 261k, only 1300mi - MCU2!) - already has a very defined yellow border, almost like a burnt yellow sharpie, thinner than what i saw in the Model X

so there doesn't appear to be much consistency. very strange.

our model X just went to get the swap. i believe they put in a remanufactured MCU1, not just a screen swap. since i lost BT and driver profile settings and the car's name disappeared and reverted to vin #.

I encountered a loaner 2018 Model S (MCU2 with about 6k miles on it) with the yellow band.

My bet is on firmware. Both my 2017 cars developed it on about the same day. Moreover, I was driving a 2018 loaner that also developed it while we had it (while the 2017 cars were in for service!).

The odds of all 3 cars' hardware failing within days seem pretty remote.

Unless it is yellowing because of age. It is certainly reasonable that Tesla got a large batch of displays that would all age and "fail" at about the same time.