Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Yoke Experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yep - and that is the issue for couples.
If I ever got a Yoke, my wife would never want to drive it. Some might be fine with that and think it is a positive. But, we have need to shift cars from time to time and the yoke would be a big problem - as would turn signals, horn etc.
BTW - we currently have 2 Teslas. Early adopters but not yoke adopters.
I shift between my Model S yoke and my Audi A6 steering wheel effortlessly..... maybe its just me !

Reactions: DukeofURL
The latest update already made a big yoke functionality improvement - eliminates the inadvertent turn signal when just touching the signal button. Now you have to give it a push (with tactile feedback) to activate then it stops when the lane change or turn is complete. Good stuff.
That's unfortunate as I've grown to like placing my finger on it for the duration of a lane change then releasing, as opposed to pressing to take an offramp or a turn.

How is the horn access? Everyone talks about the shape, but what if pedestrian is about to step off curb in front of your car? Little neighbor kid running , or car changing into your lane? Everyone is instinctively able to adjust to using your right thumb instead of hitting the middle of the wheel? Generations of panic conditioning to hit center of wheel, to right thumb?
To sound the horn, press and hold the horn button on the right side of the steering yoke.
NOTE: The horn also sounds when you cover all buttons on the right side of the steering yoke with your hand.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
IF Tesla would simply re-anable ability to honk horn from the airbag and change the turn signals to a trigger on the back of each side of the yoke? 90% of issues are then resolved with the needless switch to the combo of yoke/no stalks/no horn via airbag/little turn signal buttons
FROM THE MANUAL...
To sound the horn, press and hold the horn button on the right side of the steering yoke.
NOTE: The horn also sounds when you cover all buttons on the right side of the steering yoke with your hand.

i just left my model S at the service center for some minor fixes and they gave me a 2017 model X loaner...

i miss my yoke so much! i never expected to love it as much as i do. driving a different car only sealed the deal even more and made me appreciate the beauty of the refreshed design. I would have to say that the X does drive a bit more comfortable, but that's all due to much more cushion on the tires compared to my 21" arachnids...

Reactions: SVL77 and DukeofURL
The workaround is you can use you entire right palm on the right side of the yoke (covering all of the buttons), that will trigger the horn... or just press the single button, but that's harder to do in an instant.
From a safety point of view, having to think about how to use the horn in a emergency is not acceptable functionality I have tried the covering the side of the yoke and it works sometimes I've tried it as a test, can't imagine having to do this in a emergency situation
Same with the headlights, if the brights are on, you need to look down for a second to find the icon to switch back to normal (auto headlights work poorly at best ) taking your eyes off the road
Some like, some hate the yoke, to each their own However it should have been offered as a option. Whatevery argument one may have for or against, it simply is less safe in a emergency

I have a couple thousand miles on yoke and I actually prefer the shape over my other tesla with a wheel. I find it easier to perform sharp turns, u-turns etc. I’m not kidding, I can do it with one finger.

I just can’t get used the the horn being a capacitive button. Maybe if the made the brights and horn triggers on the back of the yoke, but why did they make these hard to fun buttons out of reach?

Overall, I wouldn’t trade it out if it was a free swap.

not sure having your hand introduced to your face during an airbag deployment is more safe but ok.
Accident avoidence is the objective. If you can't properly use the horn to warn a driver who is cutting you off, etc etc, then yes, the airbag may be a issue. I'd prefer not to have to have it deployed in the first place
Again, the point is if the yoke was a option, there would not be any issues.

Reactions: Wol747
FROM THE MANUAL...
Yeah, Im not sure how this refutes anything I've said. lol. All of that is cool and all (including Im sure, inadvertent activation of some of the functions associated with the buttons you are trying to cover with palm of hand just right to blow the horn) but why the need to TAKE AWAY horn activation via airbag. As in, whats the BENEFIT?

Reactions: Wol747
That's unfortunate as I've grown to like placing my finger on it for the duration of a lane change then releasing, as opposed to pressing to take an offramp or a turn.
So just for my education. This software had already been created for the improvement in case it was needed?
My guess is maybe Tesla added software ahead of time in case there may have been complaints about some of the functions.

So just for my education. This software had already been created for the improvement in case it was needed?
My guess is maybe Tesla added software ahead of time in case there may have been complaints about some of the functions.
Since I had made that post I've come to get used to the new version, and do indeed prefer it now to the original. The automatic cancelling of the blinkers work great, and even understand when you need to cross multiple lanes and do not shut off until you come to rest in one. As far as when Tesla had created the software for this, I'm sure it was made as an addition later on, although there is the slight possibility the auto-cancel wasn't fully tested, so they shipped it with manual until then.

I would absolutely not give up the yolk overall and prefer it greatly to a wheel.

I really like the left side buttons because there is that tactile raised line between the two turn signals that makes it very easy for me to use them without having to look.

IMO the right side is a mess though as there is no embossed markings on the right side. The horn should have been closest to the outside as I will never need to emergency use my wipers but having to reach over everything for the horn button just makes no sense.

Bonus: how the **** is the right wheel not usable in the left right direction so far?

• Disagree
Reactions: beachmiles
I'll reserve my judgement on the yoke until I actually get to try it for myself. I will personally hold off on buying any current vehicle with one because I have to assume a minor revision will come eventually if there is obvious room for improvement in the physical design. I also having a feeling my wife would hate it.

I'll reserve my judgement on the yoke until I actually get to try it for myself. I will personally hold off on buying any current vehicle with one because I have to assume a minor revision will come eventually if there is obvious room for improvement in the physical design. I also having a feeling my wife would hate it.
Would people buy the car solely because of the yoke - I doubt it.
Would people not buy the car solely because of the yoke - for sure.
Hence, it should have been an option, not the only choice.

Reactions: beachmiles
How is the horn access? Everyone talks about the shape, but what if pedestrian is about to step off curb in front of your car? Little neighbor kid running , or car changing into your lane? Everyone is instinctively able to adjust to using your right thumb instead of hitting the middle of the wheel? Generations of panic conditioning to hit center of wheel, to right thumb?
My "panic conditioning" is to slow down when that pedestrian or child steps into the road, and my foot still finds the brake if I need it, though I can't remember the last time I used that pedal. Regen has replaced 99% of my braking. Generations of conditioning change easily, unless age has solidified the response times, and all that means is that one ought to consider giving up the fob soon. Adaptation is a part of daily life. As the saying goes, "Live and Learn." And I turned 78 last week.

Reactions: trus