Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Yoke Lover’s master thread! 😀😍🥰😘

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

jebinc

Jun 19, 2019
Seattle area
Most everyone loves/likes the yoke, but there are a few who find it, “Not for them”. This thread is for yoke lovers alike, to share what they like most and what mods they may have done to improve their yoke loving experience! Me? I added one to my MYP - for consistency on driving format with the MS Plaid.

I recently added S3XY buttons to enhance my “yoking” experience (and to have a semi-proper horn and turn signal functionality).

Here are some of the reasons that 110% of the users love the yoke when used correctly. The anti-yokers will not agree because it does not fit their narrative but for 42k miles in 18 states and thousands of roundabouts, 3pt turns, parallel parking, emergency maneuvers, etc, I have not hit or near hit one thing. It has been relaxing, uneventful, and safe. If it would tear it up too much, I would take this on an EVOC course.
1) Functions better than a round wheel. Safer - hands in a safer position.
2) Buttons in always the same location. When gripping the yoke, the buttons are always at your thumbs beckon call,
3) Visibility. Not just the objective side where there is definitely a unobstructed view (for me for the first time in a car) but the subjective side of the feeling of the openness.
4) You can make cool airplane sounds when using it.
5) Starbucks drive-thru employees think is is cool
6) I can tell which way the wheels are pointed with my eyes closed.

Horn could be better but that will come (eventually). I put those epoxy buttons on it and that did help with the horn. I would be okay if it had stalks but am fine without.

Basically a nothingburger and some people just need to tear their robes and cannot be happy until everyone is not happy. Those who do not like are fine and it is their car - do what you want. Just let some of us enjoy the car without you being militant that we must be fanboys, koolaid drinkers, deniers, crazy, etc. Take your meds and let us enjoy our yokes.

Here are some of the reasons that 110% of the users love the yoke when used correctly. The anti-yokers will not agree because it does not fit their narrative but for 42k miles in 18 states and thousands of roundabouts, 3pt turns, parallel parking, emergency maneuvers, etc, I have not hit or near hit one thing. It has been relaxing, uneventful, and safe. If it would tear it up too much, I would take this on an EVOC course.
2) Buttons in always the same location. When gripping the yoke, the buttons are always at your thumbs beckon call,
3) Visibility. Not just the objective side where there is definitely a unobstructed view (for me for the first time in a car) but the subjective side of the feeling of the openness.

Horn could be better but that will come (eventually). I put those epoxy buttons on it and that did help with the horn. I would be okay if it had stalks but am fine without.

Basically a nothingburger and some people just need to tear their robes and cannot be happy until everyone is not happy. Those who do not like are fine and it is their car - do what you want. Just let some of us enjoy the car without you being militant that we must be fanboys, koolaid drinkers, deniers, crazy, etc. Take your meds and let us enjoy our yokes.
I love it too. And I can add Chick-Fil-A to #5. 😄

I love it too. And I can add Chick-Fil-A to #5. 😄

1658622131532.png

• Funny
Reactions: jebinc and GrnSqrl
Since the S3XY buttons are passed my installation capabilities, I’ve added epoxy dot stickers to the turn signals and horn. I find my thumbs can locate these a lot quicker. Also added a little carbon fiber TWAPS. Overall, I enjoy the Yoke and it’s eccentricities.

Attachments

• E656F89A-143E-4E64-A266-F350130D1926.jpeg
    E656F89A-143E-4E64-A266-F350130D1926.jpeg
    271 KB · Views: 581
  • 8CD5F563-6A30-4327-94F0-6DFA1B511CC3.jpeg
    8CD5F563-6A30-4327-94F0-6DFA1B511CC3.jpeg
    337.4 KB · Views: 193

#4 sealed the deal, for me!

Folks that don’t like the Yoke often claim safety issues. I think, on average, the Yoke is safer because you more often don’t have to remove your hand from the wheel to use those “legacy” blinkers, horn, lights.

They will also claim they can’t find the buttons if the wheel it turned. If it’s turned, up to say 50 degrees it’s completely natural to find the buttons since it’s all relative.

Once you need to change grip that will become awkward of course. But statistically that never happens. You don’t use blinkers in the middle of a 3 point turn. You don’t in the middle of a U turn.

They complain about rotaries. Large multi lane rotaries don’t have hard turns. Single lane medium size rotaries you don’t signal to get off, you just go, you doing anything that the person behind you needs a signal.

Mini rotaries you signal before you turn.

Valid complaint is finding horn button when your hands are not in normal grip position. Still pretty rare. You tend to be moving slow when your hand is not in normal grip. Like 3 Point turn, parking, Stop sign, hard right turn etc.

One nit I did notice the other day. If you parked your car with wheel 90 degrees. It can be little awkward getting in ;)

Reactions: jebinc
The yoke enhances my joy of driving my car. I love it.

If you don't like the buttons, there are options (the S3XY buttons @jebinc put on, the epoxy buttons from another thread), and if you don't like the actual yoke, there's a bunch of other cars out there.

I used to be a one-hand-top-of-wheel or one-hand-bottom-of-wheel driver. It took me the 25 min drive home from delivery in June 2021 to get used to the yoke, and now even when I drive the wife's car, I hold it like I would the yoke (9-3, rest elbows).

Complaining about changing "something that's always worked" sounds so old-man-yelling-at-clouds and like everyone that thought the iPhone would never make it because "physical keyboards work just fine! Why have a virtual keyboard? You'll make so many more typos!"

Can I get a refill of the kool-aid? Blue, please.

Reactions: Hayseed_MS
The yoke enhances my joy of driving my car. I love it.

If you don't like the buttons, there are options (the S3XY buttons @jebinc put on, the epoxy buttons from another thread), and if you don't like the actual yoke, there's a bunch of other cars out there.

I used to be a one-hand-top-of-wheel or one-hand-bottom-of-wheel driver. It took me the 25 min drive home from delivery in June 2021 to get used to the yoke, and now even when I drive the wife's car, I hold it like I would the yoke (9-3, rest elbows).

Complaining about changing "something that's always worked" sounds so old-man-yelling-at-clouds and like everyone that thought the iPhone would never make it because "physical keyboards work just fine! Why have a virtual keyboard? You'll make so many more typos!"

Can I get a refill of the kool-aid? Blue, please.
Can I have my Blackberry back, please?!