Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Yoke Lover’s master thread! 😀😍🥰😘

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No one wants to get a minivan and everyone hates them until they have one. Then they're just so danged practical that you can't give it up. Now that we have our MY the Odyssey is in semi-retirement, spending most of her time in the garage. The MY has a ton of storage space and is an incredibly practical car. It can even fit our daughter's harp! Glad your S is working for you!
I know mini vans are practical. I’ve had towing needs forever and minivans are generally not as good as SUV’s. Nor are they as good in rough terrain (deep snow). Jeeps filled my needs for decades. The X filled my need just as well. We’ll see how the S does. Both the Model 3 was pretty horrible in snow (with snow tires). Y has the same issue. Both are rear biased. S/X pre-refresh are front biased. Not sure how S/X Refresh will do. I hope they didn’t copy that from model 3/Y too. I’m concerned with clearance on the Model S, X was great on that.

I’m not sure what your saying but a Y isn’t a MiniVan. It’s a small SUV. I had an X (a large SUV), main reason I got the X was that it could tow. So I agree, we both like SUV’s I guess.

I always wanted an S and made it tow with OEM hitch. Since it is a hatchback It has the space and utility of a Model Y (just wider instead of taller) efficiency of a Model 3 and the range and looks that can’t be beat. Great handling and very quiet (ANR works :)).

I’m getting slightly better than EPA. I did 422 miles this weekend and charged for a total of 10 minutes that added 77 miles. Love it. Wish it had 500 miles range.

Yoke is icing on the cake.

Reactions: sleepydoc
Here are some of the reasons that 110% of the users love the yoke when used correctly. The anti-yokers will not agree because it does not fit their narrative but for 42k miles in 18 states and thousands of roundabouts, 3pt turns, parallel parking, emergency maneuvers, etc, I have not hit or near hit one thing. It has been relaxing, uneventful, and safe. If it would tear it up too much, I would take this on an EVOC course.
1) Functions better than a round wheel. Safer - hands in a safer position.
2) Buttons in always the same location. When gripping the yoke, the buttons are always at your thumbs beckon call,
3) Visibility. Not just the objective side where there is definitely a unobstructed view (for me for the first time in a car) but the subjective side of the feeling of the openness.
4) You can make cool airplane sounds when using it.
5) Starbucks drive-thru employees think is is cool
6) I can tell which way the wheels are pointed with my eyes closed.

Horn could be better but that will come (eventually). I put those epoxy buttons on it and that did help with the horn. I would be okay if it had stalks but am fine without.

Basically a nothingburger and some people just need to tear their robes and cannot be happy until everyone is not happy. Those who do not like are fine and it is their car - do what you want. Just let some of us enjoy the car without you being militant that we must be fanboys, koolaid drinkers, deniers, crazy, etc. Take your meds and let us enjoy our yokes.
1- How can it function BETTER than a round wheel when you can place your hands in the exact position with a round wheel? At best it’s a tie, in reality the yoke is worse.

2- Buttons on the round wheel are also always in the same position- which steering wheel did you have that had moving buttons?

3- Visibility, yes this is better.

4- You can make any sound you want with a round wheel.

5- Starbucks? Well that explains why you like the inferior yoke… jk, I’d kill for a strawberry Açaí lemonade on a hot day. Literally speaking of course.

6- You can tell which way the wheels are pointed with a round wheel as well, it has a top and bottom just like a yoke. But also why you driving with your eyes closed?

1- How can it function BETTER than a round wheel when you can place your hands in the exact position with a round wheel? At best it’s a tie, in reality the yoke is worse.

2- Buttons on the round wheel are also always in the same position- which steering wheel did you have that had moving buttons?

3- Visibility, yes this is better.

4- You can make any sound you want with a round wheel.

5- Starbucks? Well that explains why you like the inferior yoke… jk, I’d kill for a strawberry Açaí lemonade on a hot day. Literally speaking of course.

6- You can tell which way the wheels are pointed with a round wheel as well, it has a top and bottom just like a yoke. But also why you driving with your eyes closed?
Last time I drove a car with stalks, I could swear the stalks didn’t move relative to my hands as I turned the wheel. With the Yoke they do. He wasn’t referring to the radio buttons.

Yeah, then you’ll say when you turn the wheel a lot it’s messed up. True, but I never need the buttons when the wheel is turned a lot. Except maybe the horn.

The faster you go, the more important tight good placement of controls become. You don’t turn the wheel much at higher speeds. So when it matters most the controls are in the most optimal position.

Stalks are are poorly placed even if you turn the wheel a little. You have to take your hand off the wheel to reach them. They are probably better placed for when the wheel is turned a lot. But that’s typically the least time you need them or a safety concern. Like parking, 3 point turn etc. Slow maneuvers.

Reminder: This thread is for Yoke owners that love it. You’re not invited. Go join your yoke-less friends.

I’m curious to hear from some “yoke lovers” what you all like about it. I understand the “why” behind it, from TESLA’s perspective (a round steering wheel would otherwise impede the driver’s view of the driver’s screen behind the steering wheel). Still, I find it ugly; although, admittedly, I have never driven a vehicle with a yoke. While I’m sure I would eventually get used to it, I would rather opt NOT to have a yoke, even though the yoke is not optional. Candidly, it reminds me of KIT from “Night Rider”. Finally, the main reason I do not like the yoke is because that is not how a hold my normal steering wheel (9 and 3), but rather I rest my arm in my lap and gently grip the steering wheel from the bottom, which one evidently cannot do with a yoke.

I hold a CyberTruck reservation, and I am hoping that the CyberTruck will NOT come equipped with a yoke steering wheel, although I fear that it just might—considering that the CyberTruck prototype boasts a yoke steering wheel. I am hoping to get a Model Y before they change that to a yoke steering wheel.

Candidly, it reminds me of KIT from “Night Rider”. Finally, the main reason I do not like the yoke is because that is not how a hold my normal steering wheel (9 and 3), but rather I rest my arm in my lap and gently grip the steering wheel from the bottom, which one evidently cannot do with a yoke.
The look is absolutely one of the reasons I love the Yoke, yes some may be nostalgia as I too think of Knight Rider, but ultimately, for me, its just as functional as a round wheel for my driving style and I love having improved visibility into the driver screen.

Not just a Tesla talking point, for where I have my steering wheels / yoke positioned, this is a huge improvement.

Yes, you can rest your arm on your leg and grip from the bottom, this is my preferred interstate driving position and it works fine. I was worried about that before I got it, but have no issue at all.

The look is absolutely one of the reasons I love the Yoke, yes some may be nostalgia as I too think of Knight Rider, but ultimately, for me, its just as functional as a round wheel for my driving style and I love having improved visibility into the driver screen.

Not just a Tesla talking point, for where I have my steering wheels / yoke positioned, this is a huge improvement.

Yes, you can rest your arm on your leg and grip from the bottom, this is my preferred interstate driving position and it works fine. I was worried about that before I got it, but have no issue at all.
Thanks for the intentional thoughts, man. For whatever reason, I’m getting some hate from trolls for my post. I’m seeking intelligent conversation on this topic. Thanks again for your insights!

Reactions: Daniel454
Strange that there are a few that hate the yoke, yet have never actually used it. I guess they can't accept new, safer technology. There's another thread where the 5 or so yoke haters congregate. My guess is within 3 years, all Teslas will be manufactured with a yoke. Based on how far other EVs are behind in trying to copy Tesla, they will start to copy the yoke in 2027 or so.

Reactions: timberlights
I’m curious to hear from some “yoke lovers” what you all like about it. I understand the “why” behind it, from TESLA’s perspective (a round steering wheel would otherwise impede the driver’s view of the driver’s screen behind the steering wheel). Still, I find it ugly; although, admittedly, I have never driven a vehicle with a yoke. While I’m sure I would eventually get used to it, I would rather opt NOT to have a yoke, even though the yoke is not optional. Candidly, it reminds me of KIT from “Night Rider”. Finally, the main reason I do not like the yoke is because that is not how a hold my normal steering wheel (9 and 3), but rather I rest my arm in my lap and gently grip the steering wheel from the bottom, which one evidently cannot do with a yoke.

I hold a CyberTruck reservation, and I am hoping that the CyberTruck will NOT come equipped with a yoke steering wheel, although I fear that it just might—considering that the CyberTruck prototype boasts a yoke steering wheel. I am hoping to get a Model Y before they change that to a yoke steering wheel.
Resting one hand on the bottom while your arm is on the armrest is the perfect FSD Beta position in the yoke.

For me;

-It's more comfortable for FSD as it's perfect torque position.
-Better view
-More immersive. It's just feels better to grip the sides the way they are angled when going fast. It feels like a futuristic/video game car.
-I LOVE the stalkless gear shifter (not completely Yoke related, but it's awesome and easy).
-I do really like the turn signals, but that was probably the longest learning curve to remember.
- It's a great conversation piece. Random people ask more about the yoke than they do the entire car.
-Easier to get your legs in.
-I may be in the minority, but I actually enjoy turns with it. The top bump is so perfect to hook my thumb on to make large turns, it just feels more fun and in control for me. Almost like a handle on a bus wheel.

Really if the horn were in the middle, it'd be the perfect steering wheel for me. I don't fault those who don't like it. I think it's dumb that people go out of their way to say it's unsafe or try to invalidate others for liking it. To each their own. Some don't like change, some don't like the shape/ergonomics, but MOST drivers I've spoken to in real life love it.

-I LOVE the stalkless gear shifter (not completely Yoke related, but it's awesome and easy).
I was really surprised to see so much hate for the gear shifting slide as well....

I can understand the issues many have with the blinkers and horn, but what's not to like about the gear shifting? I find it quick and easy.

Still though, we all have opinions, so its ok that others don't like that either, I was just truly surprised.

Now the auto shift out of park makes the wrong choice more often than I think it should but the gear shifting is easy.

I was really surprised to see so much hate for the gear shifting slide as well....

I can understand the issues many have with the blinkers and horn, but what's not to like about the gear shifting? I find it quick and easy.

Still though, we all have opinions, so its ok that others don't like that either, I was just truly surprised.

Now the auto shift out of park makes the wrong choice more often than I think it should but the gear shifting is easy.
My whole thing with going stalkless is that TESLA should wait until it’s time to remove the pedals and steering wheel as well before going stalkless. Removing the stalk is lame. I fully get Elon’s whole “ultimately, all user input is error”.

• Funny
Reactions: Laddcruzer
Love the Yoke- I was looking at the Jets Yoke, and thinking, Why not put the Auto Pilot switch in the same place on the Tesla? 🤣😝

KOA Me.jpg

Obviously, I'm opening myself to some juvenile comments, but I still have to ask -- how is the yoke a safe wheel? Where I live, I drive mountain roads with tight-but-fast corners. I've always driven corners with hands at quarter-to-three, never crossing my wrists over under any circumstances, but passing the wheel along in my hands, and this is what feels safe. Has Tesla adjusted the ratio so that less circular motion is needed for a given radius of turn? Because if not, I see no way to navigate Mulholland Drive with a yoke without crossing my arms over one another. I'm not a hater, so please, guys...can I get a rational response? We're thinking of moving on from our wonderful 2016S to a new one and this is a big deal to me.

Obviously, I'm opening myself to some juvenile comments, but I still have to ask -- how is the yoke a safe wheel? Where I live, I drive mountain roads with tight-but-fast corners. I've always driven corners with hands at quarter-to-three, never crossing my wrists over under any circumstances, but passing the wheel along in my hands, and this is what feels safe. Has Tesla adjusted the ratio so that less circular motion is needed for a given radius of turn? Because if not, I see no way to navigate Mulholland Drive with a yoke without crossing my arms over one another. I'm not a hater, so please, guys...can I get a rational response? We're thinking of moving on from our wonderful 2016S to a new one and this is a big deal to me.
I can assure you, beyond the shadow of any doubt, that the yoke is 100% perfectly fine on Mulholland. I have put some series hurt on some really nice cars there when I had my MSP. Now with the MXP the person in the other car better be good...like really good, to put any distance on it.

I can assure you, beyond the shadow of any doubt, that the yoke is 100% perfectly fine on Mulholland. I have put some series hurt on some really nice cars there when I had my MSP. Now with the MXP the person in the other car better be good...like really good, to put any distance on it.
That's good to know, but lacking in detail. I get that you're a hot driver, but how do you make a tight turn at speed without crossing your arms over?