Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Theft Of Components Off My Model S @ Cleveland Service Center

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Come on... I guess I'll be "that guy" again... You people can't possibly buy this story can you??? I mean seriously, come on... We're expected to believe that a Tesla, company owned, service center stole a customers seats and did such a poor job they damaged wiring in the process? Sounds like as the comments have went on more of you are seeing this for what it likely is... Wow... :)

Just when you think you've seen it all here... :)

Jeff
You beat me to it. I was thinking the same thing.

Reactions: jeffro01
Come on... I guess I'll be "that guy" again... You people can't possibly buy this story can you??? I mean seriously, come on... We're expected to believe that a Tesla, company owned, service center stole a customers seats and did such a poor job they damaged wiring in the process? Sounds like as the comments have went on more of you are seeing this for what it likely is... Wow... :)

Jeff

I get the feeling that since he said corporate has already seen and replied to this thread, that adequately disproves any shenanigans. Making up a problem and then saying management reached out and fixed things isn't exactly going to make Tesla look particularly bad.

Reactions: cgiGuy
Also, you don't have to "buy" that the seats were "stolen". They could simply have been damaged accidentally and replaced, without mentioning it in hopes that the owner wouldn't notice. Hardly an unheard of event in car repair.

Jeff
do you think that tesla sanctioned a theft? I don't! but wouldn't you agree that it is plausible that an employee could have committed or facilitated this theft?

do you think that tesla sanctioned a theft? I don't! but wouldn't you agree that it is plausible that an employee could have committed or facilitated this theft?
Where would the employee get the seat from? it's not like they have spares of everything, in the right color, with the right layout, laying around the SvC. Also, it needs to be inventoried, and the OP had nothing noted on his invoice.

It's possible it happened. It's possible it didn't

Where would the employee get the seat from? it's not like they have spares of everything, in the right color, with the right layout, laying around the SvC. Also, it needs to be inventoried, and the OP had nothing noted on his invoice.

It's possible it happened. It's possible it didn't
I don't know anything about this type of criminal activity all I posed was a question.
some have accused me of being a binary thinker, in this case the answer is a binary one, is it or is it not plausible?

That is an interesting theory and sounds likely. People working for Tesla get to drive the cars all the time, so they are unlikely doing joy rides. They don't have time for 150 mile joy rides. There is a good chance the tow truck driver invited his friends to have a little fun. The service center got the car after all that damage was done.

It doesn't explain the seats, though.

I was thinking the same thing re: the service techs taking a joy ride. They work with and drive these cars all day. And they have access to loaners to some extent too, so why risk their job with a customer's car when they can grab a loaner and have way less scrutiny (if they'd even be interested).

It's a fantastic (in the neutral sense) story that's sort of hard to believe, but like others have said, the OP noted that Tesla's already contacted him and they're looking into it and he's been relatively quiet since, which kind of makes sense if they're assisting him in a real way. And I think that importantly, just about everyone recognizes the fact that this isn't systemic and is likely isolated to one bad tech or tow truck driver.

The dirt in the backseat can be explained. Most cars being worked on and to some degree being driven will have all the windows open. Just having a parked car for a few hours with all windows down will result in a lot of dirt/dust specs in the interior.

As for the seat. It's possible those are his seats, just aged. I've seen some other examples of real leather seats in Tesla's and they do not age well at all. Go to any showroom with leather seats and you'll see what I mean.

The other interesting thing is that I find it interesting that you expected them to fail since you put tape on the taillights to see if they worked on them. (I don't think many people do that.)
I do. I rarely, and I mean VERY rarely, take any of my cars to the dealer. The exception is when a critical component needs to be replaced and is done so under TSB/recall (i.e. for free by the dealer). I always ask if I can be given the parts and perform the work myself.

I put tape in strategic places (I want to know where they've been), I take a full HD video flyover of the inside and outside of the car sitting in the dealer lot (so they know anything that happened, happened on their premises) and also put a sound sensing video/audio recorder in a hidden location. It may be a lot of work, but the means justifies the end. That being said, I've been lucky that I've never had cause to rely on the information.

I get the feeling that since he said corporate has already seen and replied to this thread, that adequately disproves any shenanigans. Making up a problem and then saying management reached out and fixed things isn't exactly going to make Tesla look particularly bad.

I get the feeling that this is all 100% BS... Some of you seem to trust what you read online wayyyyy to easily... Just because corporate supposedly replied doesn't mean anything at all. Wouldn't you want to reach out to a customer who makes such wild and crazy accusations in order to determine fact from fiction? Don't assume that because Tesla is asking that the story must be true...

Jeff

Reactions: Max*