Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Their, there and they're

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You used the wrong word AND misspelled it. Kudos?

It should be "Kudo's", if I'm not misteaken.

IamSilentlyCorrectingYourGrammar.jpg

Life's too short...

In this increasingly mobile, on-the-go, world, when people are reading on commuter trains, or grabbing moments at a stop light, running from parking lot, to elevator, to office cube, etc.... many on their mobile phones, and "misteaks" with fat fingers happen. Not to mention auto-correction on-the-fly -- that doesn't always get it right.

I do agree, repeated and error laden posts can influence your perception of someone's intelligence. However, I think this forum is full of incredibly brilliant and extremely thoughtful members, who do spend time thinking about their posts before they hit "Post Quick Reply". Not all of us aced "are" grammar classes, but we did ace finance, engineering, software development, chemistry, medicine, etc., etc.

... and so I'm okay with the occasional hit send, before rereading your entry 3+ times, checking for errors, errors. It's the thought that counts.

Exactly. I occasionally succumb to my touch typing not communicating well with my brain ... and then look at a post later and think, "OMG! I know better than that." While I'll insist that external-facing work products are error-free, I really am okay with the 'break' for 'brake' and other mistakes we see on the forum. Because it is a forum. We have people who type too fast (me), who might not know better (hope that's not me, but could happen), and non-native English speakers who I personally applaud for 'putting it out there'.

My brain does pause at spelling/grammatical mistakes in posts (what another mod likened to a fart in the middle of the sentence) - and it's a good reminder for me to not be too hung up on things that don't matter.

(and thanks Greg :) )

Apostrophe now: Bad grammar and the people who hate it

Nice BBC Magazine article in the above link and a few quotes from the piece:

Grammarians argue it ensures clarity and elegance. For others, it is a series of archaic rules beloved of pedants, bearing little relation to how people really communicate.

People have a tendency to believe that they're in the right on grammar; it is other people who let the side down.

One has to be careful, cautions Patrick Wilson, founder of the Tutor Crowd, which works with young people. "There's a danger people can be too judgemental."

He, like many of his students, used to struggle at school with grammar and spelling. "Knowing when to use a semi-colon is not a determinant of intelligence. It's a determinant of whether you can follow rules."

The split infinitive is the most celebrated of grammar conundrums. Henry Fowler, author of the Dictionary of Modern English Usage, published in 1926, summed up the debate as follows.

"The English-speaking world may be divided into (1) those who neither know nor care what a split infinitive is; (2) those who do not know, but care very much; (3) those who know and condemn; (4) those who know and approve; and (5) those who know and distinguish. Those who neither know nor care are the vast majority, and are a happy folk, to be envied by the minority classes."

No doubt there are lots of grey areas in grammar (I think split infinitives often sound better), but using the correct there, their, and they're isn't one of them. It is akin to writing: "Go threw the first door on the rite".