Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Theoretical MobileEye Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In anticipation of someday getting MobileEye to see and respond to stop signs, I've been doing some unscientific testing.

At "normal" residential road speeds, I find that I start decelerating by removing my foot from the accelerator about 150 or 180 feet before coming to the intersection. That results in a smooth deceleration and minimal braking (using regenerative braking), finally coming to a complete stop at the stop sign.

My question is whether MobileEye can "see" the stop sign at that distance. At 150 feet, it's a somewhat small target, so if it doesn't see the sign until I'm much closer to the intersection, braking will be sudden and uncomfortable when it's implemented. For comparison, I note that MobileEye sees and updates the speed limit just as it's passing the speed limit sign (and of course, such response would be inadequate for a stop sign).

Any engineer types have any knowledge on the capability of this system? I'd love to see it implemented, but I'm concerned that the sensitivity may not be sufficient.

• Informative
Reactions: Old Wyseguy
I have no knowledge of the system, but with the reported self learning algorithm, I would imagine that the system will someday know that 100% of cars stop at a particular intersection and could anticipate the stop well before it can see the stop sign.

In anticipation of someday getting MobileEye to see and respond to stop signs, I've been doing some unscientific testing.

At "normal" residential road speeds, I find that I start decelerating by removing my foot from the accelerator about 150 or 180 feet before coming to the intersection. That results in a smooth deceleration and minimal braking (using regenerative braking), finally coming to a complete stop at the stop sign.

My question is whether MobileEye can "see" the stop sign at that distance. At 150 feet, it's a somewhat small target, so if it doesn't see the sign until I'm much closer to the intersection, braking will be sudden and uncomfortable when it's implemented. For comparison, I note that MobileEye sees and updates the speed limit just as it's passing the speed limit sign (and of course, such response would be inadequate for a stop sign).

Any engineer types have any knowledge on the capability of this system? I'd love to see it implemented, but I'm concerned that the sensitivity may not be sufficient.

There aren't many pixels on the stop sign when it is at a distance. As the maps get better, the car will likely anticipate stop signs.

Note on speed limit signs, the system show the sign at passing because that is the point the speed becomes valid.

The existing system doesn't have enough resolution in the camera, even though its bitrate is very high.

The new triple-cam system coming out has a long-range, a mid-range, and a fisheye, each tuned to its distance, so the mid-range will be responsible for identifying traffic control devices.

• Disagree
Reactions: Naonak
Mobileye specifically mentioned that there next system will read over 1000 signs.

Tesla still has the option of placing signs on its maps, however, to work with older AP. I'm not sure if Tesla will take this path with older APs, but it seems possible