Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Theory: Autopilot hardware upgradeability likely now a priority?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla already has a big communication issue regarding autopilot 1.0. Assuming 2.0 is a big leap forward, can you imagine the communication nightmare and liability when they start showing off autopilot 2.0 that can do point-to-point full route driving including city streets with stop lights and stop signs? What are the odds that someone (who likely doesn't frequent these forums) gets into one of the existing 100k-200k autopilot 1.0 cars, mistakenly assumes their car will stop for a red light, and plows right into a bunch of children crossing the street? It's highly unlikely Tesla will refresh the exterior of the Model S/X again for at least 4 years so how will folks know or understand the difference between autopilot 1.0 and 2.0? Check the VIN and if > 150000 then it will stop at red lights but if < 150000 then it won't stop at red lights? For this reason, I'm gonna bet on retrofit not only being available for autopilot 1.0 cars but I predict it will actually be required in the sense that autopilot convenience features will be disabled after a certain date for all cars that don't have the new hardware. Just a guess of course.

Reactions: JoshG
Sure for a phone or a throw away PC that may make sense. But a car that costs > $100,000, no so much.

Planned obsolescence is the reality of all the other cars on the road.. Tesla has been the only manufacturer to actually offer upgrades for older vehicles and OTA updates that increases functionality (sometimes decreases). Just because AP 2.0 is out, It's not like AP 1.0 is no longer useful nor safe, just that newer cars have newer features.

New owners are in for a shock of how quickly Tesla releases new updates. Us "classic" owners don't even have parking sensors, folding mirrors, the '+' suspension, LTE, AP, Traffic aware cruise control, Auto emergency braking, lane keeping assist, sub zero package, "D" motors, Insane/Ludicrous modes, BioHazard, or NextGen seats.

Tesla already has a big communication issue regarding autopilot 1.0. Assuming 2.0 is a big leap forward, can you imagine the communication nightmare and liability when they start showing off autopilot 2.0 that can do point-to-point full route driving including city streets with stop lights and stop signs? What are the odds that someone (who likely doesn't frequent these forums) gets into one of the existing 100k-200k autopilot 1.0 cars, mistakenly assumes their car will stop for a red light, and plows right into a bunch of children crossing the street? It's highly unlikely Tesla will refresh the exterior of the Model S/X again for at least 4 years so how will folks know or understand the difference between autopilot 1.0 and 2.0? Check the VIN and if > 150000 then it will stop at red lights but if < 150000 then it won't stop at red lights? For this reason, I'm gonna bet on retrofit not only being available for autopilot 1.0 cars but I predict it will actually be required in the sense that autopilot convenience features will be disabled after a certain date for all cars that don't have the new hardware. Just a guess of course.

I don't see lane holding autopilots stopping for lights or stop signs for this reason. There is always one hidden behind a branch or something.

Only way would be if it was implemented as a warning. Traffic light (sign), detected. Will stop in X feet. Countdown. Start to brake. If driver didn't see countdown then they are on their own.

I predict it will actually be required in the sense that autopilot convenience features will be disabled after a certain date for all cars that don't have the new hardware
At which point Tesla will have a choice of doing the upgrades for free or refunding people's $5k they paid for AP. You can't take
back (the value of) something someone's paid for just because it becomes inconvenient for you to support it.

Tesla didn't make AP retrofitable into the 2013 Model S because of wiring harness differences that made the change cost prohibitive. It seems practically guaranteed AP 2.0 will require wiring harness differences. I find it hard to believe, then, that Tesla will permit or perform upgrades to 2.0 for 1.0 owners. Especially so if Tesla is footing the bill. That'd be a hefty bill.

Reactions: Magus
The problem is Tesla hasn't revealed what the distribution of those 130M miles is, so it is impossible to compare it to 130M miles of
human operation since we don't know what kind of driving to compare it to, and different kinds of driving having radically different
risk and safety profiles

You don't find that AP does alarming things on a regular, if infrequent, basis? Sure, with sufficient driver attention it needn't be
unsafe, but that's a mighty low bar -- and not what I would call "ready for prime time".

I've had AP since day one that is was released. I've found it utterly predictable. If you're on open highway in reasonable conditions, it really never does anything unusual. And that's the intended use. Sure, on twisty two lane roads it's less reliable; so don't do that. It's no different than conventional cruise control; or radar assisted cruise. People need to learn when the technology works, and I'm confident that they will. I like to think that people if people are treated like adults, then they can act as such.

The one fatality that we're talking about shouldn't really even be counted. You had a truck cut across a highway in front of oncoming traffic, and a human driver would have had his hands full. If the driver did some of the things that they are reputed to have done (which we don't know for sure)... well, then it would fit it the same category as texting while driving or drunk driving - dangerous and already illegal.

Regular cruise control makes it possible, on a fairly clear road, to lean the seat back and stick your feet out the window. So if a deer jumps out of the ditch and you can't brake in time, is that the automaker's fault?

Only time will tell, but it seems to me like the op's post is a classic case of cognitive dissonance. As someone who just missed out on AP 1.0, I can see how it would be psychologically uncomfortable to imagine that AP 2.0 will come out and those with AP 1.0 will miss out on all the additional functions that the new hardware will provide for. As a result, the mind strives to make this less psychologically disturbing and looks for ways to make it less stressful, such as the reasoning provided. Hopefully, it will be upgradable, but if not, just enjoy what you got. I sure do. Although every once in awhile I do have to tell my mind to tone it down, especially when it first came out. Life's just far too short to sweat the small stuff.
I hear you, but i don't think that's what's happening in my case. I had a non-AP Model S and didn't feel Tesla owed me something. I bought a new one to get those things. I'm not just wishing i get something better soon, i'm looking at it from Tesla's point of view. As I said in my first post, it's not like the parking sensors... having different levels of AP hardware out there with different capabilities may be worse for Tesla than the cost of making sure retrofit were easy.

I think you think that because you own an Autopilot v1.0 vehicle for which you paid a lot of money and you don't want to be left behind with the technology. Unfortunately, what you are hoping for will likely not happen. Tesla is not interested in protecting your investment, they are interested in selling cars. The more they can push you to trade-in, the more money they will make at the end of the day.

Don't hold your breath, there will be no Autopilot retrofits.
just answered the same question from another person. I'm not wanting something for free. I had a non-AP car and never felt tesla owed me AP. When I wanted it enough, i sold my car and bought a new car to get Autopilot and other things. I'll do the same next time when the hardware improves enough for me. I'm just wondering if Tesla may have to handle this particular feature progress path different because of the safety issues and the potential confusion by people over what their car can and can't do. This isn't a convenience feature, and people are ALREADY misunderstanding what AP is designed to do. With multiple levels of capabilities out there, it may well get worse.

well said. that's my central point here. that it can get too complicated and that can cause greater risk, so Tesla MAY handle this hardware upgrade category differently.

Reactions: commasign
At which point Tesla will have a choice of doing the upgrades for free or refunding people's $5k they paid for AP. You can't take
back (the value of) something someone's paid for just because it becomes inconvenient for you to support it.

Yes. Again, I'm definitely in the minority opinion here but my prediction is (assuming it's just the triple camera and maybe updated other sensors that are drop-in compatible) it will be a free retrofit. Remember that Tesla will have an economies of scale advantage if this is the same hardware going into Model 3.

There are a few intertwined issues to be resolved.
First, does the current version of Autopilot hardware/software do all the things advertised it would do? If not, and if indeed not capable of ever doing these things, there's an issue (and potential litigation).
Second, if NHTSA indeed requires Tesla to recall and disable AP 1.0, there's an issue (and potential litigation).
Third, if Tesla does not provide an upgrade path to those who purchased AP 1.0 with the expectations it met advertised functionality and not be disabled due to NHTSA, there's an issue.

There is no analogy between pre-AP vehicle upgrades to AP, and existing AP vehicles that potentially won't function as advertised/expected being upgraded to functionality that was advertised and that NHTSA finds acceptable. We're talking about advertised capabilities that enticed purchases of AP cars.

I predict that a new version of AP 1.0, as a result of the NHTSA and PR nightmares, will require full time hands on the wheel. That would address the driver attentiveness concerns that started this whole mess (thus the second issue), as well as preclude demands by 1.0 owners for upgraded hardware to AP 2.0 (thus the third issue). The first issue isn't addressed by this solution.

I don't see lane holding autopilots stopping for lights or stop signs for this reason. There is always one hidden behind a branch or something.

Only way would be if it was implemented as a warning. Traffic light (sign), detected. Will stop in X feet. Countdown. Start to brake. If driver didn't see countdown then they are on their own.

Tesla's private high resolution lane maps may be the key to this. Tesla knows or will know exactly where all the stop signs are.

It is too risky and dangerous to have multiple levels of AP "intelligence" out there... owners will be confused what theirs is capable of versus what the neighbors (or YouTubers) are showing theirs can do.

Thoughts?

My thoughts: I think you are nuts. ;)

Do you expect Mercedes, Ford, GM, etc. to retro-fit their older cars as a new model year gets new/better features than the prior model year?

Take it a step further, say someone saw a video that showed a Model S driving itself. They have a Model S without Autopilot, do you really think that they will assume their car has the same feature and go let it drift off the road and wreck itself?

I think it's already a priority. For example, the current camera is a single camera setup. But the next gen camera actually has three cameras. Now, that module is going in the exact same place and outputting the *exact* same information to the car (stop here, turn here, etc.).

Depends if the new module will work with the same windshield and wiring. (It may take more room and need a different windshield, or may require more power and need heavier gauge wiring. Or maybe some kind of cooling setup.)

This is exactly why I see truly autonomous vehicles as being a long way off in the future. The corner cases will be unbelievable. And if you look at the furor that comes out of one very sad death, that was really caused by a dangerous turn made by a truck driver into oncoming traffic, then wait until you get the first deaths because the car missed a sign or a light. Tesla is going to look at the current situation and step very carefully.