Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Theory - Cadillac Fairview and Tesla partner for SC sites?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

wayner

Oct 29, 2014
Toronto
Four of the recent SCs are at Cadillac Fairview shopping malls - Laval, Ottawa, Markham and Etobicoke. This is pure speculation on my part, but I wonder if the two companies have made a deal and if other SCs will be at CF malls. (Note that this is not an exclusive arrangement as some SCs are at malls owned by others, including Vaughan and the Barrie site.

Possible futire candidates would be:
  • Toronto Eaton Centre for the Toronto SC,
  • Fairview Mall or Shops at Don Mills for the North York SC (both are maybe too close to the Lawrence SC - unless the Superchargers will be shut down at that site - as has been speculated)
  • Polo Park for Winnipeg,
  • Limeridge Mall for Hamilton (not a great location IMHO)
  • Fairview Park Mall in Kitchener
Anyone want to schlep around the parking garage at the Toronto Eaton Centre looking for signs of an SC installation?

are they doing sherway (you mentioned etboicoke but I wasn't aware there was a confirmed etobicoke supercharger yet? need to check in more)

good theory though.

Limeridge is way off the beaten path. That would be more for local service than anything.

Just remember that a lot of Mall parking lots on the TTC line are actually locked off at night due to people parking.

Eaton's Centre - no way for free entry
Fairview Mall - locked off hours
Yorkdale - locked off hours

Could be. There's a future supercharger showing for Pointe-Claire just west of Montreal so possibly at Fairview Pointe-Claire. Personally, I'd rather see it somewhere along highway 20 as Fairview would be to close to the St-Laurent supercharger.

are they doing sherway (you mentioned etboicoke but I wasn't aware there was a confirmed etobicoke supercharger yet? need to check in more)

good theory though.

Limeridge is way off the beaten path. That would be more for local service than anything.

Sherway has started construction. I drove by last night and took a video. I started a thread called Supercharger Etobicoke ON.

I've scoped out the Eaton Centre parkade on Yonge St and I think its a terrible candidate for a Supercharger location. Traffic congestion in the area is extreme, and the parkade is small and old. Parking is very expensive - $4 per 20 minutes.

Shops at Don Mills looks like a great candidate. Fairview Mall would have room for us too. I snooped around last night heading home from Lawrence and couldn't find any SC construction activity.

• Informative
Reactions: mazeminder and Jaff
I've scoped out the Eaton Centre parkade on Yonge St and I think its a terrible candidate for a Supercharger location. Traffic congestion in the area is extreme, and the parkade is small and old. Parking is very expensive - $4 per 20 minutes.
Replace "Eaton Centre parkade on Yonge St" with any other site in downtown Toronto and your observation will still be valid. Any SC in downtown Toronto will always have these issues. The advantage of the Eaton Centre is that it is probably the best place for the site as it is a good place for people to kill time, probably the best location in the downtown core. They could put it at Brookfield Place / TD Centre / First Canadian Place /Commerce Court / Bay-Adelaide, etc but those are primarily office complexes with some retail, but not nearly as much as what you get at the Eaton Centre. I know if I had to kill an hour in downtown Toronto then I would prefer to be wandering around the Eaton Centre rather than any other location.

Replace "Eaton Centre parkade on Yonge St" with any other site in downtown Toronto and your observation will still be valid. Any SC in downtown Toronto will always have these issues.
Maybe that's a signal a Supercharger that downtown just isn't appropriate. It's a very car-hostile area, and the Eaton Centre isn't helpful as a weekly I've-got-one-hour-but-only-one-hour-to-kill venue.

If I could recommend an alternative.. the Loblaws on Queens Quay East.

Reactions: Safari
If I could recommend an alternative.. the Loblaws on Queens Quay East.
That would work, as well as space isn't at as much of a premium there, but there will be densification as there are condos being built there as well. Other options would be slightly SE of there by the portlands or west near the CNE grounds - like the old Ontario Place parking lot.

There actually is a fair bit of L2 and L3 charging in downtown at the major office complexes. The real estate companies get LEED points for having EV chargers. According to Plugshare the Eaton Centre is supposed to have a FLO station with one chademo, one ccs/sae and 2 L2 plugs.

I haven't used the L3s but I have used L2s downtown. Even if you don't really need a charge you can get an A1 parking spot right by the entrance in Brookfield Place. A good place to park if you are going to an event at the ACC.

Shops at Don Mills - my money is on this location, it has high visability and will take the load off the existing Toronto chargers. Good access as well - I think there are three main criteria now - access- visibility in high end malls - access to food establishments

Reactions: mknox
Four of the recent SCs are at Cadillac Fairview shopping malls - Laval, Ottawa, Markham and Etobicoke. This is pure speculation on my part, but I wonder if the two companies have made a deal and if other SCs will be at CF malls. (Note that this is not an exclusive arrangement as some SCs are at malls owned by others, including Vaughan and the Barrie site.

Possible futire candidates would be:
  • Toronto Eaton Centre for the Toronto SC,
  • Fairview Mall or Shops at Don Mills for the North York SC (both are maybe too close to the Lawrence SC - unless the Superchargers will be shut down at that site - as has been speculated)
  • Polo Park for Winnipeg,
  • Limeridge Mall for Hamilton (not a great location IMHO)
  • Fairview Park Mall in Kitchener
Anyone want to schlep around the parking garage at the Toronto Eaton Centre looking for signs of an SC installation?
There is suppose to be a SC in Tsawwassen BC (right by the ferry terminal to Vancouver Island. There is a mall just about a mile from the ferry terminal so I reckon that is were it will go. I too have been schleping around the mall and I noticed a Shell service centre around the backside of the mall so maybe this is where the SC will go. Today I notices some big electrical transformer being position right next to the Shell station. Makes sense to keep car energy input facilities in the same area.