TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Theory: Model X has "transparent" A pillars (see-through video)?

Discussion in 'Model X' started by AnxietyRanger, Mar 24, 2015.

1. AnxietyRanger

AnxietyRanger Active Member

#1 AnxietyRanger, Mar 24, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2015
    The new Model X mule photographs and videos show what looks like see-through A pillar on the passenger side (driver side not visible):

Tesla Model X spy art -- Automotive News Photo Gallery

tesla model x in palo alto - YouTube

There also seems to be what could be front-facing camers on the fog light assembly (as well as side rear-light assembly).

This technology has been previewed on competing cars, so seeing it on Tesla would not be unrealistic:

Jaguar Land Rover 360 Virtual Urban Windscreen Video - YouTube

Theoretically it could also involve other pillars and even the bonnet...

Land Rover Reveals Transparent Bonnet Concept - YouTube

Thanks for the find on the Model X mule video goes to sigurdi.

Edit: Since there have been some misunderstandings, here is an image from the Palo Alto video.

attachment.php?attachmentid=75827&d=1427267437.jpg

Note the inside of the passenger side A pillar showing bright areas even as the car is filmed from different angles and enters shade.

2. Paul Carter

Paul Carter Active Member

Very cool. I wouldn't put it pass Tesla to include this. It would be well beyond a 5 star safety feature, I'd give it 6 stars out of 5. Now where is my Sparkle wand to approve this! :)

3. andrewket

andrewket 2014 S P85DL, 2016 X P90DL (soon 100)

If this is the type of stuff tesla is waiting to unveil... First, my wife is going to love her X. Second, I could see why tesla is waiting to the unveiling. The marketing potential is huge. Big splash.

4. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

I can't quite see it in that photo, but I'd agree. That level of visibility in a crossover would be pretty huge.

5. AnxietyRanger

AnxietyRanger Active Member

I think the passenger side A pillar screen shows well in the video - after you see it on the video, it is hard to miss on the latest mule photos:

tesla model x in palo alto - YouTube

6. BerTX

BerTX Member

I'm finding it very easy to miss. But I haven't seen this technology before, so maybe you can see it better than I can.

Rather poor use of good technology, if you ask me. But nobody did.

7. Blastphemy

Blastphemy Member

I don't see what you're seeing.

In neither the photo nor the video am I able to see through either the A or B pillars on either side of the Model X shown. (The B pillar looks black, while the A pillar looks white.)

Let's make sure we're all talking about the same pillar:

Wagon_and_sedan.jpg

8. Zythryn

Zythryn MS 70D, MX 90D

I'm not seeing it either.
    I see some reflection in the video in the general area of the passenger A pillar. That's about it.

9. zro ltr

zro ltr Member

Same here. I see reflection off the window in the picture and even less in the video.

10. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Yes, A-Pillar. In the video when you look through the windshield you see some odd images along the passenger side A-pillar, like perhaps a video display of what is outside the car. Perhaps they have some sort of flexible display panel mounted inside the car along the A-pillar to act as a vertical video screen to show some useful information. It is an area that is otherwise just wasted in your field of view. Perhaps it is there getting ready for the cameras to replace the real mirrors (if they are allowed to sell it that way), but for now the car still seems to have regular side view mirrors.

11. BerTX

BerTX Member

If you watch the Jaguar video linked, you'll see what he is talking about demonstrated on another car. It is actually a screen on the A-pillar that shows a camera view of the scene on the other side of the pillar. More accurately, the inside cover of the A-pillar IS the screen.

12. saladman

saladman Member

Actually all I see in that first link is a really poorly fitting front passenger door, with the glass extending away from the vehicle body.

13. Waverider

Waverider Member

Looks like some sort of reflection in the windshield glass to me. You can see a similar glint in the middle of the windshield as the car accelerates away. Between 0:16 and 0:17 in the video.

14. goneskiian

goneskiian Active Member

You mean like the tin foil that is likely covering it so we can't actually see it? ;-)

15. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

A "transparent" A pillar? Sorry, but that sounds like a joke to me. What material could Tesla use that would be transparent and sufficiently strong and not be incredibly expensive?

16. JohnSnowNW

JohnSnowNW Active Member

"Transparent" as in it has digital screens that display an image (from forward facing cameras) of what would normally be blocked by the pillar.

17. scaesare

scaesare Active Member

That was my assessment as well...

18. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker Beta Tester

#18 MorrisonHiker, Mar 24, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
    Surely you've heard of transparent aluminum! ;)

It does look like it is possible but I'm betting it isn't cheap!http://phys.org/news167925273.html

19. omarsultan

omarsultan Active Member

Don't see it either, but again, it seems like the front door window sticks out from the B-pillar, so something is definitely interesting there.

O

20. felixtb

felixtb RsEU502,Sp+14274,XpEUSig4

Volvo had this on a concept C30 where they used a truss structure in the A-pillar....... but ultimately they never produced this idea. I doubt that TESLA would do it either........

image.jpg